Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a misfire on cylinder 4, ended up going to the garage as swapping the coilpack didn't move the misfire about.

They've replaced the spark plugs and that's sorted the issue but they weren't able to source the "upgraded spark plugs you'd normally have" and replaced them with standard Bosch ones (Christmas availability).

I do trust them and said to do it anyway but now curious, should I try and source the proper OEM ones for the s5? Can I live on these for a while? Will I see any issues? Performance? Damage?

Any info would be great. I don't want to swap the again if there's no major issues, but also don't won't to be on sup-par parts if it can cause issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oem are usually Bosch anyway, if they are platinum plugs you're good for 60,000+ kms. Usually when people swap they go NGK Iridium. What's the bosch part number?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Afraid I don't know the part number but the fact they mentioned made me feel like perhaps they aren't best suited. I'll give them a shout and get the details.

Assuming worst case though, would non-platinum plugs cause s problem? I'm less worried about length of life but more on a general performance perspective (I'm just running as a daily nothing fancy though).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Afraid I don't know the part number but the fact they mentioned made me feel like perhaps they aren't best suited. I'll give them a shout and get the details.

Assuming worst case though, would non-platinum plugs cause s problem? I'm less worried about length of life but more on a general performance perspective (I'm just running as a daily nothing fancy though).
Funny enough new copper plugs out perform platinum and iridium for spark performance (way more conductive) I'd be more concerned about temperature range in boosted applications (hot vs cold plug) but if its run good you'll be fine till you get some NGK Laser Iridium

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I really dont think that you need to worry about damage mate, perhaps just a slight fall of in performance????

Reactions: dougajmcdonald

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I'm understood that the OEM parts are iridium made by NGK. Other suppliers including Bosch will make equivalents and so they should be iridium too. Copper or platinum shouldn't come into the discussion. If the company normally uses "uprated" plugs then the question is "in what way are they uprated" and "for what benefit"?

Reactions: dougajmcdonald
1 - 6 of 6 Posts