Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my car today and got 2 remote keys and a little plastic tag with a strip of numbers and letters embedded in it.

However on reading the owner's manual, page 42 states that there should be a spare key (a small black plastic key) and that this can be used in an emergency using the spare key adapter kept in the glove box. I didn't get a spare key and the slot in the glove box is there, but no adapter for the spare key either.

Is this something that's not included in the UK or should my dealer have the spare and adapter? Anyone else got one of these?

Think I'll ask when I go back tomorrow to get the AMI cable (they didn't have one in stock, but they should get it tomorrow).

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got one. BTW congrats on your new car!
Thanks, photos coming tomorrow hopefully (it's dark now and my new baby's tucked up safely in the garage:D )

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I got one set of keys and 1 plastic block with the plastic key you mention

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks DD - I was sure I should have got one so will ask.

Also going to ask for the black pouch for the litre of spare oil. I had one with both of my last Audis, but just got the oil this time:(

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got one with inst on how to keep it in my wallet now that all my money has gone!!!!!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoke to my dealer today - he confirmed I should have got the spare key, and the adapter for the glove box. He couldn't find the spare for my car (he had 2 he didn't know about, but neither were for my car - a little worrying that it's out there somewhere, no?) Anyway, he said he could order another from Audi using the chasis number of my car, but it may take a couple of weeks to come through.

He's also going to get hold of a black pouch for the litre of spare oil for me, although he did confrim that Audi have stopped making/supplying these.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I wonder if there was an issue with keys at one point in the year. Thats a few of us that only got one key. I will have to have another word with my dealer to get a spare ordered. Perhaps when I pick up my missing cargo net they have on order.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if there was an issue with keys at one point in the year. Thats a few of us that only got one key. I will have to have another word with my dealer to get a spare ordered. Perhaps when I pick up my missing cargo net they have on order.
DD,
I did get 2 keys (so one of them is a spare for me), but if you look in the owner's manual, it specifically lists what keys you should get - 2 full size normal keys and one 'spare' key, which is a thin little black plastic one which can open the door if you insert it into the lock in the driver's door, and it can also start the car if you put into the adapter which lives in the glove box. Both were missing with my car.

If you only got a single key with no spare at all, then you really do need to go back to your dealer.

btw, not sure how this works if you've got the advanced key - you may not get a little black plastic 'spare' key in this case, although if there's still a lock beside the door handle on the outside of the driver's door, then I would think you do.

·
Registered
677 Posts
DD,
I did get 2 keys (so one of them is a spare for me), but if you look in the owner's manual, it specifically lists what keys you should get - 2 full size normal keys and one 'spare' key, which is a thin little black plastic one which can open the door if you insert it into the lock in the driver's door, and it can also start the car if you put into the adapter which lives in the glove box. Both were missing with my car.

If you only got a single key with no spare at all, then you really do need to go back to your dealer.

btw, not sure how this works if you've got the advanced key - you may not get a little black plastic 'spare' key in this case, although if there's still a lock beside the door handle on the outside of the driver's door, then I would think you do.
I have the advanced key. I got the plastic one w/ holder. The cut key works to open the door. The holder works in the ignition slot to start the car.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i have the little plastic one. My wife told me earlier that she is test driving an A3 on Sunday so I will ask them then and have the owners manual handy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i have the little plastic one. My wife told me earlier that she is test driving an A3 on Sunday so I will ask them then and have the owners manual handy.
Black and white is always a great backup. Good luck on getting it quickly. Most likely they lost it and have to order new ones from Germany.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Am I missing something here, or with this spare key thing... is there everything you need to steal the car right there in the glove box?

...that's what it sounds like to me. ???

·
Registered
292 Posts
Am I missing something here, or with this spare key thing... is there everything you need to steal the car right there in the glove box?

...that's what it sounds like to me. ???

Only the adapter lives in the glove box. The plastic spare key lives on your person. If it needs to be used, marry the 2 together, et viola!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.