Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10-17-19. I have a new to me 2018 S5 cab with 15K miles (so still under original warranty). We have a SOS malfunction warning. Took it to the local dealership (not where purchased) for warranty repair of said SOS malfunction and they told me it was likely caused the ODB ports being switched when the car was worked on previously and it shorted out the SOS and likely the antenae....
I purchased the car from a high end lease group associated with another dealership where you pay a $hi7 ton of money and get to pick whatever you want to drive for a week, a year, a month, whatever. I know that they put a tracking device in the OBD so they can track the vehicle. There was no report of damage on carfax or Autocheck and only routine maintenance. The selling dealership told me there were no accidents and any repair (other than an accident) would be done under warranty. I thoroughly checked the car and there was no indicators of an accident.
So, my question is this... Is the local dealership full of shit, in which case there will be no more business thrown their way, or did the lease company do repair work and not report it? How could I know? Who's lying here? Help!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
IMHO probably full of shite! I had the same fault on my ‘18 S5 coupe - regular SOS malfunction warnings on most journeys and once it’d happen it’d then do it every few minutes (some longer journeys had me going mad!) After doing an extensive search online it seems to be a relatively common fault in various Audi’s.

The bad news is, on some Audi’s the antenna (this is what’s faulty (or the connection near the end)) is located in the boot - HOWEVER in the A5/S5 it’s behind the dash and the only way to it get to it is by stripping out the whole dash.

I’ll be honest, I was worried shitless about letting someone rip out the inside of my beloved S5 - when I got it back (after 4 days) I noticed 2 exactly parallel small (5mm) but deep (down to the undercoat) scratches on the bonnet - however, I didn’t spot this until I next washed it about a week later. There was no way it was a stone chip and had to have happened there - I suspect someone either dropped or put some sort wrench / tool on the bonnet. They also failed to reconnect the light in the driver side vent dial but that was an easy 5 minute fix.

‘Fortunately’ on a trip back from the Lakes a few months later some dick with a trailer full of stones and grit went over a bump on the motorway and sprayed the bonnet with debris. It sounded like we were being shot - looked at the bonnet when I got home and the 2 scratches were the least of my worries. I tried various self fixes but wasn’t happy with any of them - eventually forked out £450 for a full bonnet respray and the outside of the car is now immaculate again.

Sorry this isn’t more reassuring but I’d definitely take some detailed pictures before taking it in and look at it in infinite detail when you collect.

Now just need to sort out the bloody rattle from the sunroof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-17-19. I have a new to me 2018 S5 cab with 15K miles (so still under original warranty). We have a SOS malfunction warning. Took it to the local dealership (not where purchased) for warranty repair of said SOS malfunction and they told me it was likely caused the ODB ports being switched when the car was worked on previously and it shorted out the SOS and likely the antenae....
I purchased the car from a high end lease group associated with another dealership where you pay a $hi7 ton of money and get to pick whatever you want to drive for a week, a year, a month, whatever. I know that they put a tracking device in the OBD so they can track the vehicle. There was no report of damage on carfax or Autocheck and only routine maintenance. The selling dealership told me there were no accidents and any repair (other than an accident) would be done under warranty. I thoroughly checked the car and there was no indicators of an accident.
So, my question is this... Is the local dealership full of shit, in which case there will be no more business thrown their way, or did the lease company do repair work and not report it? How could I know? Who's lying here? Help!!!

Update. 10/19/20. The lease company did get into the lower dash. They did reversed the ports. Audi is still replacing it under warranty. All is good

update - lease company did

1 - 3 of 3 Posts