Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a handful of times when I've pushed the key in to start the (3.0 TDi) engine, with the gears in neutral and the clutch depressed, but it has not attempted to start. It does the 'sweep the dial' thing, but doesn't try to fire up the engine. Any idea why this could be? What's it objecting to?

Normally this is no big problem, but one occasion was when I stalled at the lights, and a quick restart there is pretty obligatory.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's happened to me as well. You just need to depress the clutch a bit further before pushing the start button, it then fires up without doing a dial sweep.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
There have been a handful of times when I've pushed the key in to start the (3.0 TDi) engine, with the gears in neutral and the clutch depressed, but it has not attempted to start. It does the 'sweep the dial' thing, but doesn't try to fire up the engine. Any idea why this could be? What's it objecting to?

Normally this is no big problem, but one occasion was when I stalled at the lights, and a quick restart there is pretty obligatory.
The clutch is most likely not 100% down, if its even ever so slightly up it won't start.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speedy replies guys. Thanks.

I have seen it tell me to 'press clutch pedal to start' or similar (when I forgot to). I didn't see this message on these occasions though.

Ah, penny's just dropped! Maybe the 'press clutch' message only appears if one repeatedly pushes the key in in a short period, and it then works out you may be struggling and drops you a hint.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i've had this embarrassing situation a number of times too. stalling at traffic lights, roundabouts i go into panic mode as it's hit or miss whether i can get a quick start.

so the solution is to depress the clutch further? hmm, i'll have to keep an eye on this.

i was doing a three point turn yesterday (quickly) and stalled it across the road :eek: lol i had to pretend i was intentionally blocking the road whilst cursing the a5 at it's timing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, key in first, than press the clutch..then key start. I used to jump in press the clutch and key in to start at the same time and not start..

Always need to remember key first, then clutch....key start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts