Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an Audi RS5 from 2010 with 67000kms and sometimes, only when the car is cold, the EPC light come with message "Engine speed max 6000tr/min".

When the car is hot the EPC light and message disappear directly.

I have not every times this problem, only sometimes, I feel that it is raining or when I wash the car.

I have took my car in Audi Garage for keyless problem and they have done a check up of the car but not any trace of the EPC light and message, like the error is delete automatically.

Sorry for my english, i'm french :)

Thank's for your help
++

·
Registered
885 Posts
Does this happen when you attempt to rev past this point/ drive aggresively when it's cold, or is it on constantly from start-up?

From memory, the RS5 doesn't allow you to use high revs when cold (it starves the fuel if you attempt to), so I'm making the assumption that this message is appearing as you're trying to use high revs prematurely.

If I'm correct (as you say the message disappears once the engine is warm), you've not got an issue, you're just triggering the safety mechanism.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thank's for your answer.

I NEVER drive aggresively when it's cold, i always wait the engine is hot.

The message appears only when the car is cold and disappear when it's hot but not every time, only sometimes.

I noticed i have the problem only when it's raining or if i wash the car, i think a captor take humidity.

I go to the garage the 27/10/15 for a check up.

++

·
Registered
885 Posts
In that case I don't think it's normal, as I've had two RS5s (both pre and post facelift) and over 4 years never experienced this.

Good luck at the garage. Report back when you're able...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, did you ever hear back on the EPC problem? i've just bought an RS5 it's 3 years old 50,000 miles and this morning when cold the EPC light came on and it said restricted to 6,000rpm max. i was driving sensibly not gone above 3,000rpm, the light went off after 5 mins when engine warmed up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My new to me RS5 has started doing the same thing. It's at the dealership on Monday so if they get anywhere with it I'll post back here.

I have tried to add some posts in the RS5 forum but they are awaiting mod approval.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Interesting one guys, an old thread is still current it seems. Did anyone get to the bottom of this one???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you all monitor your oil temps? You can set the center dash to display oil temperature (the lap timer function is in the same menu choice). I believe you're not supposed to go beyond 6K before the oil temperature hits 145 degrees fahrenheit (63 Celsius) and no redline below 160 degrees fahrenheit.

Has nothing to do with coolant temperature as the coolant gauge will read in the normal range in far less time than it takes for the oil temperature to reach optimal temps. It takes far longer than one would think.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the tip regarding the oil temp display.

Turns out there is potentially quite a bit wrong with my car. I'll post back details when I'm clear of what the resolution will be.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any updates? Curious was was wrong with your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi i have the same problem with my PES supercharged Audi RS5 but it happens when the engine is warm but quite selton and them disappears automatically. I think it could be the low boost pressure wire/pipe. I will try to replace mine and then it might go away. Let's see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Apparently it needs a new bank 2 exhaust camshaft adjustment valve. Whatever one of those is. The dealer is taking care of it. Once that is all done I'll let folks know how it goes and if it solves the light coming on.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Dan

RS5 intermittantly doing the same.. mine shows up as one of the banks Camshaft sensor, I guess the 'valve' might be the actuatoe that changes the cam Timing dependant on RPM. Mine shows thats its not reading the correct position..

Perhaps you can let everyone know the outcome.

Br
Graham

·
Registered
15 Posts
Will do. The bill looks to be quite large but the part is < £200. Saying that, the labour charge includes other items so may not be an accurate reflection of the cost to fix this particular issue. Thankfully, I'm not paying.

I'll ask that the part is inspected for why it failed. The car has done < 34k miles so this should not have happened.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with my RS4 -2013, 44kmiles. EPC light comes on & engine limited to 6000rpm when outside temperature is below 3 degrees even though I keep the rev below 2500rpm to warm up the engine as I drive.

I had a service done (oil and routing checks) at the dealers two weeks ago and they said all is fine and reset the software. But the EPC light came on again last week when I drove off after starting the engine at low temperature. EPC light comes on after 2 mins or so driving. To get rid of the EPC notification I need to stop and restart the engine. Then all is fine.

Just like Dan, if I warm up the engine (stationary), for a few mins (~4mins) and then drive off, everything is fine with no EPC light.

I did not have any of this last few winters though. It all kicked off this winter (since Nov 2017).

Any ideas on what really to fix here? Maybe, it is all normal, that is, car need to warm up at very low temperatures before setting off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unfortunately my post count isn't high enough to do direct link to images nor attach images (really people, we're all adults here). If someone wants to post them for me, just shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send them your way.

I have exploded diagrams as well as another schematic closeup which shows it may be possible to remove the adjustment valve without removing the valve cover (more work) for the DIY among us. Doesn't look horribly impossible, even with valve cover removal honestly. Pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking at the schematics for the 4.2L, it appears the camshaft adjustment valve (two per cylinder head, one exhaust one intake) can be removed without taking the valve cover off. I'm not 100% positive on this and I'm still searching for the RS5-specific schematic to make sure it's the same.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the first schematic that I still can't post here, there are two adjustment valves shown, number 9 and number 15. They look like they're quite tall and wouldn't fit under the valve covers.

On the second schematic, it's not super clear but the adjustment valve mostly sits outside and on top of the valve cover, number 1 with a camshaft position sensor also being on top, number 4.

Yes, I'm just trying to get my post count up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts