Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went by my dealership the other day to get something out of my car, and the saw a Black / Red S5 that was in for repair. Apparently it was one of the first deliveries in Oct '07 with about 5k on it. The repair it was in for: 3rd gear was shot. Service tech didn't know how it happened. Is this guy on the forum?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Probably hamfisted 2-3 gear changes. The over and up lever movement makes it easier to grind in the gear.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out after another trip to the dealer that it wasn't third gear at all (my service manager doesn't know anything that is for sure). He actually wore out the Throwout bearing. Took 3 weeks for the part and to do the install they have to drop the entire engine and trans out of the car. Crazy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I don't know if I can trust my tech but he said that because it was only 5k miles Audi was making an exception.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Clutch, brake pads, wiper blades are all considered consumables by most manufactuers. However the throwout bearing should last longer than the clutch or 50, 75, 100 thousand miles or more.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Clutch, brake pads, wiper blades are all considered consumables by most manufactuers. However the throwout bearing should last longer than the clutch or 50, 75, 100 thousand miles or more.
A clutch is a consumable in the US? Certainly not here in the UK. If the clutch went in an A5/S5 over here within the 3 year warranty then it would be straight into the dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.