Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a very bad day for me. Found a 15 cm series of scratches on my rear bumper this morning. As I live in London and park my car on the street, I assume some **** has scraped it whilst parking and did a runner. Does anyone know any good places for SMART repair? I got two quotes: £155 from Halfords or £545 from Audi themselves. I will try to post a picture tomorrow during the day. :mad:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
470 Posts
It was probably a friend of mine. He's the worst driver ever, he starts pressing all the window wipers and high beam buttons and stuff next to the steering wheel of his jetta and says he's in triptronic mode...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Try your local Chips Away franchisee - used them a few times over the past few years and have always been delighted. Used three individual guys and clearly their training is of a consistently high standard as their repairs (my most relevant experience was to a rear bumper car park scrape on my Alfa GT - grey metallic; repair was completely invisible and took about 1.5 hrs, costing just under £200.

Last time I got them in was a wheel repair, 4" scuff on the rim. Chap took 4 hours to do it (in my office car park) because he simply wasn't satisfied with the original quality of his work, despite my genuine assurances (after about an hour) that it was fantastic and that he should leave it alone!

The words 'Halfords' and 'repairs to a £30K+ car (not sure what model you have?) don't sit comfortably together for me, but that's probably a brand issue - I don't have any direct experience of their work and they're probably fine.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I join the pissed off club today. Got back to my car and my wife found the passenger side had been keyed. Enough to take it though the paint layers. Luckily its just on one panel but I cant tell you how angry I felt.

·
Registered
479 Posts
T0ssers!! Why do they do it????? :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Sorry to hear that DD and relieved I've escaped thus far. Funny, I was thinking recently that the S5 is the sort of car that doesn't engender envy and spite - I've tended to get the opposite, a quiet appreciation of a great looking car.

But society's full of bitter under-performers who would rather focus on damaging things they can only aspire to rather than appreciating them.

It's sad.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I hate that, goes with the territory, every bumper here in San Francisco has been bumper f***ed 10 times over after a year. I don't care if the spot will only fit your car by 2 inches, jackasses will slam it in there because there is so little parking around. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
But society's full of bitter under-performers who would rather focus on damaging things they can only aspire to rather than appreciating them.

It's sad.
2nd that. Sorry to hear you've been keyed doubledoom, that's worse than idiot parking because somebody deliberately chose to do it. I guess all you can take some small comfort from is the fact that it is highly unlikely to be personal, just some moron without the brain cells to know right from wrong and that some people earn the things they have with hard work.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looking at the cars in your sig, that looks like Chris_B from Tyresmoke I think!

Howdy!!

:D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I know when and where it was done and I know who did it. Not personally and I couldnt pick him out if he walked by me. However, I saw him walk around my car when it was parked and I thought he was admiring it. I thought nothing of it at the time as that was not unusual. Only later in the day when my wife spotted it did I realise what he did.

You dont expect someone in their 50s doing that to your car. It wasnt personal but just plain jealousy.

The good news is that it is already booked to be repaired next Thursday and the cost will be £95. I am not getting Audi to do it as there is no dent and whilst there is a bit of depth to the scratch (which goes through to bare metal in places), it can be repaired by a third party. Still, thats £95 of cost for 1 minute of pleasure for an idiot.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Cheers!

Got it back yesterday. Top job and I went over it with a toothcomb and its as good as new!:D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Got my scratch done today. Whole panel had to be rubbed down and done. At one point (actually more than once) I was more than a little worried. All the laquer was off and it looked awful. However, the final outcome is excellent. Not mark to be seen and the orange peel effect is still intact. £95 was the cost. I've kept his contact details just in case I need it again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.