Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been at it again, playing with VCDS and attempting to figure out the secrets behind the car's lighting. And I've discovered a couple of new tricks, one of which has definitely been asked for in the past.

1. Have the LED strip remain at full brightness in parking light mode
2. Disable amber side markers (for US spec vehicles that have them by default)

If you put these together, it's a good way to run with fully bright LEDs and tail lights at dusk by simply selecting the parking light position on the switch. I know a lot of us have wanted to have this option.

From the factory, you can increase your lighting in three stages:
bright LEDs (switch in off position, or "auto" during bright daylight)
dim LEDs + side markers + tail lights (switch in parking light position)
dim LEDs + side markers + tail lights + headlights (switch in headlight position, or "auto" at night)

But now, I can go like this:
bright LEDs (switch in off position, or "auto" during bright daylight)
bright LEDs + tail lights (switch in parking light position)
dim LEDs + tail lights + headlights (switch in headlight position, or "auto" at night)

I would prefer it if I could make the side markers come on with headlights, but not with parking lights. However, I don't think it's possible. I haven't decided yet whether I should keep them on or not.

Here are the codes to perform these mods:

LEDs remain at full brightness with parking lights
Module 09 (Cent Electronics) -> Coding -> Submodule 0 -> Long coding helper -> Byte 03 -> set bit 2 to "1" (or check the box) -> Transfer coding
(The binary representation of bit 2 should be made xxxxx1xx. The x's indicate bits you don't change.)

Disable amber side makers:
Module 09 (Cent Electronics) -> Coding -> Submodule 0 -> Long coding helper -> Byte 10 -> set bit 3 to "0" (or uncheck the box) -> Transfer coding
(The binary representation of Byte 10 should be xxxx0xxx.)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Once again Dave, you rock! Your efforts are very much appreciated. Thanks for all the helpful knowledge you share with the A5/S5 community!

·
Registered
225 Posts
just waiting for my faulty vagcom cable to arrive back from the states and I will sort most of what you have discovered Dave, thanks as said....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have just ordered my VAG-Com cable to allow me to make the DRL changes. I will also be interest in activating the hidden menu to allow me to take a look at the TV settings to see if the blank screen when moving can be taken off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey AeroDave, need some clarification on your last Vag-Com mod (keep DRL at full brightness all the time). Your note says to change bit 2 to a 1 and keep all other bits the same. On the original change, I changed Byte 3 from hex 91 to hex 11 which kept the DRL on while turn signal was on. When I tried to alter ONLY bit 2 of byte 3, it will not transfer the new setting and the program gives me an error. Your instructions say to 'check the box' but I do not have a box on my panel. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Aerodave, figured it out - need to alter the BYTE as well as the BIT settings.
- Original hex settings for Byte 3 from factory with winking DRL was '91'
- To keep DRL lights on with turn signal, Byte 3 needs to be changed to hex '11'
- To Keep DRLs at full brightness in OFF, AUTO or PARKING, Byte 3 should be '15'
Worked great for me, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it's 15 in your case. But I didn't want to post the whole byte because it may be different for different people. You changed 11 (00010001) to 15 (00010101). But other people may have had a different starting position, and therefore different final answers.

The newest data file for VCDS has a label file for module 9, which means that any undocumented bits just don't have check boxes. In that case, you have to edit the bit manually in the binary field, or do the math and change the Byte to what it should be (11 to 15 in your case). The tricky part, which isn't explained well, is that you have to hit TAB, UP, or DOWN after entering the bits (or Byte) manually in order to save them before exiting the long coding helper. It could honestly be implemented better, but that's Ross-Tech's issue.

Glad it worked for you, frank.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Has anyone researched the behaviour of coming home/leaving home lights? I'm sure some of the bits also affect what lights are lit as coming home/leaving home lights?

There is a bit of a further puzzle for someone with a car and VAG COM willing to play. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow great findings...
One general question: Can the Vag-Com software be downloaded from somewhere (legally or not)? I cant find it here in Greece. Ebay market has only the required cables and not the software.
If someone has it here in Greece I'd gladly offer me car for experiments!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ebay market has only the required cables and not the software.
The software is a free download from the Ross Tech website. However, if you see a cable on eBay, there's a big chance that it's not compatible with the A5. And if that eBay cable doesn't cost at least $300, that chance goes to 100%.

The eBay cables are generally only compatible with older cars and older version of the software. They do not support the CAN data bus that the A5 uses.

I'm a cheapskate. If there were a way around paying $350 for the cable from Ross Tech, I'd have done it. But there isn't so I coughed up the cash. It is, after all about one half of one percent the price of the car. Or, only about 5 tanks of gas (3 if you live in Europe).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks for you help aerodave. I now have my s5 set so the LEDs no longer dim on indicating and when side lights are on the LEDs are at normal brightness and not dimmed. I also activated the hidden menu.

As of yet though I havent been able to locate anything to unlock the motion restriction on the tv or other settings.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I assume when you Americans say parking light you are referring to what us Brits call side lights. i.e. rear lights on and [normally] dimmed LEDs?

If so, yes the bright lights into dusk make you stand out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The software is a free download from the Ross Tech website. However, if you see a cable on eBay, there's a big chance that it's not compatible with the A5. And if that eBay cable doesn't cost at least $300, that chance goes to 100%.

The eBay cables are generally only compatible with older cars and older version of the software. They do not support the CAN data bus that the A5 uses.

I'm a cheapskate. If there were a way around paying $350 for the cable from Ross Tech, I'd have done it. But there isn't so I coughed up the cash. It is, after all about one half of one percent the price of the car. Or, only about 5 tanks of gas (3 if you live in Europe).
Thanks for the info. Well as much as I'd love to have a tool that would allow me to change my cars behavior (with the most prominent setting the DLRs) I consider $350 to be a lot of cash for a freaking cable! Unfortunately here in Greece a $ (or a Euro) worths a lot more than in other western EU countries.
Anyway there are some cheaper HEX-USB+CAN cables on ebay (for example http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=250266723434 ) but are based on :confused: VAG 704.1 :confused: version. Would those do the work?
As a last resort I am considering about printing this page and heading over to my dealers service department to set up the car!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for you help aerodave. I now have my s5 set so the LEDs no longer dim on indicating and when side lights are on the LEDs are at normal brightness and not dimmed. I also activated the hidden menu.

As of yet though I havent been able to locate anything to unlock the motion restriction on the tv or other settings.
Did you do your own alterations doubledoom ??

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Did you do your own alterations doubledoom ??
I made the alterations myself based on the information that aerodave provided.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.