Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per AUtoweek:
The big news first: The last S4's five-valve-per-cylinder 4.2-liter V8 is history. This model is powered by a brand-new supercharged four-valve-per-cylinder 3.0-liter V6 direct-injection gasoline unit, which also is earmarked for a facelifted version of the S5 due out next year. With 333 hp, the new 90-degree engine is down 11 hp on its well-received predecessor.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080922/FREE/809229989/1065

·
Registered
290 Posts
I find a facelift for the s5 highly unlikely-a new engine maybe-but a facelift already.........................i would be disappointed with that

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The rumours about the supercharged 3 litre are not new. They have been going on for at least 6 months now. The rumours have been whether it would be a choice of supercharged or V8 or a direct replacement. Until you see it from Audi I would take everything you with as a pinch of salt.

Also, a facelift this early seems unlikely. Tweaks in the options certainly (although Audi do that a number of times a year already) but a facelift seems far too early.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Agree about an external facelift, should be internals...

I do think it makes a lot of sense to offer the new engine, DSG and torque vectoring for the rear drive, as this makes the S5 an even more attractive car. Messing around with a beautiful face too early is risky. Look what happened to Priscilla Presley.

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
How many valves does the S5 engine have? I can't seem to find any info anywhere online. Some info shows the Q7 4.2L V8 with the 40-valve and the S6 4.2L V8 with the 32-valve engine. What exactly is in the S5?

·
Registered
158 Posts
How many valves does the S5 engine have? I can't seem to find any info anywhere online. Some info shows the Q7 4.2L V8 with the 40-valve and the S6 4.2L V8 with the 32-valve engine. What exactly is in the S5?
In North America (2008)
Q7
3.6-litre V6, DOHC, 24 valves
4.2-litre V8, DOHC, 40 valves

A6/S6
3.2-litre V6, DOHC, 24 valves
4.2-litre V8, DOHC, 32 valves
5.2-litre V10, DOHC, 40 valves

A5/S5
3.2-litre V6, DOHC 24 valves
4.2-litre V8, DOHC, 32 valves

·
Registered
371 Posts
The link is dead. I can only find news about the new S4. I ordered the a5 s line last week because i always wanted the S5 but am not too excited about the fuel. So when I saw that the a5 s line shared the look of the s5 (front fascia, sides, and rear valance) but has much better economy I decided to buy. but if they were bringing out the new s5 with a 3.0T and the same fuel projected in the s4 I might rethink my purchase.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's said that the new 3.0 supercharged V6 is only going to be in the A4, because Audi want to distinguish the A4 and the A5 even mechanically...

The A5 will keep the 4.2 V8-354CV and the RS5 is possible to have a V8 4.2 Biturbo with around 450-500 CV.

I think it's a pity that you can't have the A5 3.0 TDI quattro in the USA and Canada Because is much more economical than the 3.2 FSI and even faster...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The S5 has 32 valves because apparently the DI hardware won't fit in the five-valve head.

Re: fuel economy, a couple of points.

1) How much better will a supercharged V6 be than the V8? A turbo V6 would be one thing; it could be set up to provide little boost during daily-drive conditions, but a supercharged engine will always be mechanically boosting to provide the larger effective displacement.

2) Let's go crazy and say that it will get a full 5mpg better than the V8. It'll never happen, as the 3.2V6 by itself barely does that well, but let's make that assumption.

1200 miles a month @ 15mpg for the V8 = 80 gallons
1200 miles a month @ 20mpg for the V6 = 60 gallons

Even with gas at $5 a gallon, that's $100/month difference on a car that costs more than a thousand dollars a month to buy or lease. A more likely calculation is that the V6 will be 3mpg better and gas will remain at $4/gallon or less, making the difference closer to $50 a month.

For that kind of money, I'd rather have the V8. It sounds better, pulls harder, revs more cheerfully, and just plain kicks ass.

If the V6 appears in the S5, it will be for just one reason: to create more "space" for the V8-powered RS5.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The S5 has 32 valves because apparently the DI hardware won't fit in the five-valve head.

Re: fuel economy, a couple of points.

1) How much better will a supercharged V6 be than the V8? A turbo V6 would be one thing; it could be set up to provide little boost during daily-drive conditions, but a supercharged engine will always be mechanically boosting to provide the larger effective displacement.

2) Let's go crazy and say that it will get a full 5mpg better than the V8. It'll never happen, as the 3.2V6 by itself barely does that well, but let's make that assumption.

1200 miles a month @ 15mpg for the V8 = 80 gallons
1200 miles a month @ 20mpg for the V6 = 60 gallons

Even with gas at $5 a gallon, that's $100/month difference on a car that costs more than a thousand dollars a month to buy or lease. A more likely calculation is that the V6 will be 3mpg better and gas will remain at $4/gallon or less, making the difference closer to $50 a month.

For that kind of money, I'd rather have the V8. It sounds better, pulls harder, revs more cheerfully, and just plain kicks ass.

If the V6 appears in the S5, it will be for just one reason: to create more "space" for the V8-powered RS5.
Well the V8 is amazing and have always lusted after the S4 for it, but I already have on A6 with a 4.2 and it gets roughly 18mpg on average. I wanted something higher for my new car.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/08/b8-s4-debut/

I posted a link from audiworld.com that shows the average for the 3.0T supercharged in the S4 is 24.25mpg. Thats really amazing! It can still launch the car from 0-60mph in 5.1 and gets an average of 24.25mpg. One thing is thats faster than the old S4 with a 4.2. If that was true to for S5, maybe the time could be lower 0-60 as well. Not sure it a supercharged v6 weighs less than the v8.

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Any idea when we might get positive confirmation on the planned changes for 2010 S5?
The only changes I could see for the 2010 model S5 are:
LED Tail lights (which you can retrofit anyways, which is what I plan to do)
More available options
DSG replaces Tip
Tourqe Vectoring
3G MMI

That's it... I don't see the S5 getting a real facelift until the 2012 MY, so late 2011.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The only changes I could see for the 2010 model S5 are:
LED Tail lights (which you can retrofit anyways, which is what I plan to do)
More available options
DSG replaces Tip
Tourqe Vectoring
3G MMI

That's it... I don't see the S5 getting a real facelift until the 2012 MY, so late 2011.
Thanks - DSG and LED sounds very tempting but I am a little concerned about Audi limiting engine to V6 SS for 2010...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks - DSG and LED sounds very tempting but I am a little concerned about Audi limiting engine to V6 SS for 2010...
Little point getting concerned about something that isnt factual. Audi have made no information available on what is happening with the engines. If they do, then you will have plenty of time to get an order in for the V8 if that is what you want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts