Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing how I made that thread, and 2 days later I get a call from my dealer saying that my car will be ready to pick up on Sept. 29th, if not a few days earlier. So, anyways, I have a few questions. First, my car was released to manufacturer on 7/19/08 and the ETA for move to the boat is 9/09/08, so my first question is, how much longer do you think I will be able to make changes to my car? Also, there are a few add ons that I am considering, and I was wondering if you guys can recommend them or not. First is the Audi care, which I am defiantly going to get. Second, is wheel and rim insurance, which is $907.00 for 5 years, but because I have a 3 year lease, they will pro rate it, and return around 362 dollars at the end of the lease, so even though I will have to pay 907 originally, it only really costs me around 545. So, the insurance covers any road damage to the rims or the tires, such as pot hole damage, bubbles on the tires and damaged tires due to debris on the road like nails, but it only cover the OEM rims and tires. So, do you guys think it is worth it? Another one is called phantom protection, which costs $195.00 and basically if my car is totaled or stolen, they send me a check for 5k, regardless of what I get from insurance. This is nice because I have a lease, so I will get a bit of my money back, but I dunno if its worth 195. The other one is 3M protection. The dealer charges 699 to cover front bumper, rear bumper and headlights, and 995 to cover all that, plus part of the hood and the trunk as well. Is it worth it, and if so, is that a good price? And finally, there is the extended warranty on paint and leather, which I believe covers damage to the paint, like sap or acid rain (doesn't cover scratches) and any damage to the leather like spills, rips, ect. It costs 350, lasts 6 years, 50k miles (which I don't need because its a 3 year lease) and I would get it because I heard the leather on the S5 shows a lot of wear after little use, but I don't know if it covers excessive wear and tear for use that shouldn't show that much wear (like if I drive 2k miles, and the seats look like I have had them for 20k miles). So any recommendations.. I heard Audi has a plan like this, but I am not sure if this is an Audi supported warranty. Also, I am wondering what tires I will be getting. I really hope they are Pilot Sport 2s, because its my opinion that they are the best out there (and I am wondering if I upgrade the tires after the current ones go bad, if the insurance will still cover them, because I only changed the tires, not the rims).

Thanks guys, and I can't wait to join the club. In the back of my mind, I am still thinking about changing the color to sprint blue, or changing the interior to white, or 2 tone white alcantara/black leather, but I think I am going to stick with my current choice. Also, I played around with drive dynamic on a car that they had pre sold (black on white, and the white looked really good, which as I said, made me second guess my choice of magma red), and is was really cool, I am actually glad my order was postponed so I could get an '09 car with drive dynamic and working voice controlled MMI. Also, because the residuals just went up 3 points a few days ago from 57 to 60, which makes my payment basically unchanged with the addition of drive select, so its like I got it for free, lol. The next 2 months will be really long, I just can't wait to get one! I hope Audi doesn't screw up the order and sends me a base red on black s5 or something, lol.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Regarding how much longer you have to make changes to your order, I suggest just asking your dealer.

That quote for the 3M coverage seems reasonable and in line with the rates I've been hearing about. I've come to realize that I overpaid for my clear bra install on my front bumper, headlights, and mirrors. :eek:

Regarding your question about what tires will come with your car, I know that 2008 US spec S5s came with Dunlop "SP Sport Maxx GT". I don't know if that's changed for MY2009, but I'm sure someone with a US spec 2009 S5 can confirm. (Members TonnyG and SGTAngry just picked up their cars, so you can check with them.)

As for all your other questions, I'll let someone else chime in. :) All that reading wore me out. ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hum, the price your dealer quoted you is a lot less then the one I was quoted. Maybe it's from a different insuance company, and hopefully it covers more and has less fine print. Although because mine can be pro- rated because I won't use the last 2 years, so the price will be around the same. My thinking is that I am pretty sure that even if I get dedicated snows for the winter, I will probobly have to replace all 4 tires at least once, and a well placed nail in one of the tires will save me 300 bucks or so, meaning that the insuance will only cost me 200 at that point, so if I get any other tire or rim damage during my 3 year lease, then it would pay for itsel. But if I decide to upgrade to Pilot Sport 2s, then the insurance won't cover it, and it may be possible to not need to get new tires if I put enough miles on my snow tires. So I guess it's a toss up, but I do live close to NYC, so one damaged rim, and it more than pays for itself. The only thing that bothers me is that it is apparently unsafe to only change one tire if the tire opposite the damaged on has noticable wear, like 5k + miles, so although if one tire is damaged, they will pay to replace it, I still have to replace the tire opposite of it, and if 2 tires on the same side are damaged, then I have to pay for 2 more tires myself... At least I wouldn't have to pay for all 4, but I feel that for almost a grand, the insurance should also cover the wheel oposite the one damaged if it has significant wear on it, if not only for safty reasons, as I am sure cheap people exist who would only have the insurance replace the damaged tire, and not replace the tire opposite, which could result in an accident, or at the very least, noticable driving difference, like the car may veer to the right or left at high speeds. Also, I am considering getting some RS4 rims, which would negate the warrenty, and if I get a slightly used OEM pair with tires on ebay, they won't cost much more than the almost 1 grand for the insurance (and yes, I would be pro-rated, so it would cost closer to 600, but I can also sell the rims when the lease is up, and hopefully get back at least half of what I payed for them).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would call your dealer right away, there were a couple dealers with allocations that same day and the change window supposedly was closed last friday.
I stopped by today and I could still change it, but I think I am happy with my choice. It's what I wanted since day one, and I am worried if I change the color I may get it. And also, even though I am 99% sure I will get the car, something unforseen may happen, and if I change the color to Sprint Blue, my dealer may decide to keep my deposit because it's a hard color to sell in my area (not a single person at my dealer has ordered a Sprint Blue S5, and it's apparently the largest Audi dealer in the world, or at least that's what they tout thenselves in their billboard adds, just to show you how conservative of an area I live in, LOL).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rgd 2009 S5 tires- Dunlop Sport Maxx GT is what I have on mine. So that didn't change from 08.

·
Registered
491 Posts
jimmyz did you get your car from riverside? who was your salesman?

·
Registered
50 Posts
dont do the 3M with the dealer. you should go somewhere else. its not worth the money for what you get. my dealer wanted 600 for a ceramic tint and 600 for 3M. its better off finding someone else to do the job. i ended up paying about 1K for my film at a reputable shop in mineola.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dont do the 3M with the dealer. you should go somewhere else. its not worth the money for what you get. my dealer wanted 600 for a ceramic tint and 600 for 3M. its better off finding someone else to do the job. i ended up paying about 1K for my film at a reputable shop in mineola.
Why is this? My dad just got an R8, and they quoted him 1000 bucks for the full system (full front bumper, front hood, headlights, side mirrors and full rear bumper), but since he didn't get a dime off MSRP, he was able to get it at cost which is 600 bucks. I don't see how the dealership would do a poor job as the fittings are pre cut, and its not like they have some random service guy do it. They have a guy come in two or three times a week who specializes in clear bras only (they have a different guy that does tints, and another guy that installs custom radar/laser systems, ect.).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why is this? My dad just got an R8, and they quoted him 1000 bucks for the full system (full front bumper, front hood, headlights, side mirrors and full rear bumper), but since he didn't get a dime off MSRP, he was able to get it at cost which is 600 bucks. I don't see how the dealership would do a poor job as the fittings are pre cut, and its not like they have some random service guy do it. They have a guy come in two or three times a week who specializes in clear bras only (they have a different guy that does tints, and another guy that installs custom radar/laser systems, ect.).
its ultimately ur decision. if you trust the dealer to do it, go ahead. and the problem with the pre cut kits, is that they dont cover the entire section. often times, they pull and stretch the film so it "fits". i dont know if thats the case with ur dealer. i had mine custom cut so the film fits perfect on my car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.