Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am expecting my S5 mid next month.

The 0 - 60 performance figures look great, but I am more impressed with what the performance is like in real life - on A Roads, B Roads and Motorways.

Just as important to me is mid range acceleration.

So - all you lucky S5 owners - what is it like on the road - honest opinions good and bad appreciated.

For me the style of the S5 and the noise won me over.

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
The other day was cruising along at 70mph in 6th on a dual carriage way,noticed in my mirror a motorbike very close to my rear,infact so close if i braked suddenly he was a dead man,decided in a split second ah well never really put me foot down since i purchased it in Dec so here goes,i did not time myself but what felt like only seconds couldnt tell you how long i looked at my digital speedo and ##7mph was up and yes he was only a small blur now in my mirror,i got a bit of a shock to be honest with you as the speed was a lot more than it felt obviously i slowed right back down to around 70mph as i would like to live a bit longer and keep my license but in a short statement the S5 answered YES the power is as good as the looks = AWSOME :cool:

I promise you like all the other S5 members you wont be disappointed with your purchase,enjoy :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its fast -- a very linear fast.

All I know is whenever I look down at the speedo I notice I am going way to fast. My allroad is fast (6spd chipped to 315 hp) and it feels like such a dog to drive now. I live where there are many country roads and the handling is also fantastic which again leads to the fact that I all of the sudden look down and really how fast I am going.

I do miss a little of the turbo boost I have gotten use to, but if this car had a turbo on top of that V8 it would be unreal.

so in a nutshell - its as fast as it looks and read about.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is fast and very smooth. The power is available very low and the car goes quickly with no drama. I currently drive an e46 M3, remapped with Milltek exhaust, and it is so much more work than the S5. Not as balanced as the M3, but I would take it every time.The steering is very light at low speeds and gets substantially heavier at higher speeds - this took me a little bit by surprise, however, I'm sure I will adapt when I get my car. I only had the S5 on a 24 hour test dive, however, I got a really good sense of what the car is about. Big grunt, delivered beautifully.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It is fast and very smooth. The power is available very low and the car goes quickly with no drama. I currently drive an e46 M3, remapped with Milltek exhaust, and it is so much more work than the S5. Not as balanced as the M3, but I would take it every time.The steering is very light at low speeds and gets substantially heavier at higher speeds - this took me a little bit by surprise, however, I'm sure I will adapt when I get my car. I only had the S5 on a 24 hour test dive, however, I got a really good sense of what the car is about. Big grunt, delivered beautifully.
Hiya Seamo and welcome :)

Where are you buying your car and when are you getting it? :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...To second all of the above... I too came from a turbo (2.7 V6 Bi-Turbo) and the S5 'seems' to dissapoint at first... until you look at the speedo!! The power delivery is so smooth and 'effortless' it's easy to press the throttle down half an inch at 75mph in 6th to 'ease' past another vehicle on the motorway and after a few seconds, you realise you are past the car and the S5 has dispatched with double figures and is sublimely sucking up the tarmac in three figures... oops!

Drop a couple of cogs (gears) and give it all your right foot and you will be amazed at two things...

1) Instantaneous 'full power'
2) It does the same in 5th and then 6th and you are doing 140+

...plus you get that noise!

what about lower down? Overtaking at 50 is a breeze... Pick your gear... 3rd will dispatch the other car like you're on your way to the hospital with your wife in labour... 4th will push you to 90 before you return to your lane and 5th... well that's just showing off, but it'll happily complete the manoevre for you as fast as the other cars around you. Fast A-roads are this car's hunting ground.

...Best of all is the back roads... with plenty of power instantaneously there it's easy to make rapid progress even if you get your gear selection wrong and the throttle response along with that engine sound does everything your senses need!

By the way, I'm quite happy with mine! ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Aidan. I expect to have it in May or June. :) Very similar spec to yours with Tiptronic, but I am going for the Piano Black trim all-round. May go for Drive Select. BTW, your thread was very good for helping me choose combinations and extras. Just sent you a P.M.

·
Registered
118 Posts
mines been built last week/this week so delivery takes upto 3weeks so i been told
im starting to feel like a 12 yr old so so excited:D
Then you read a thread like this and you get even more excited:eek:
CANT F ING WAIT:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback so far - clearly made the right decision - now expect the power delivery to be different from my current turbo engined car.

Chunkstar - Mine was built week 12, so hopefully should be on the same boat !!

Any further feedback appreciated.:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Seriously quick car that powers through the gears relentlessly, you are touching 140 before you know it.This is such a fun car to drive you cannot resist a blast knowing you have that power on tap.It does get rather thirsty though when you drive it hard but what the hell that is why we bought an s5.The rs5 when launched is going to be awsome.:D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Seriously quick car that powers through the gears relentlessly, you are touching 140 before you know it.This is such a fun car to drive you cannot resist a blast knowing you have that power on tap.It does get rather thirsty though when you drive it hard but what the hell that is why we bought an s5.The rs5 when launched is going to be awsome.:D
I take it you done your run-in period and have pushed it now :D 140mph don't think I've gone that far yet - when I was racing Kal we hit 125 - 130ish or there abouts but was crapping it a bit :eek: (as the bridge was bumpy) so didn't look at the speedo.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
guys guys guys red bull and flag spring to mind....

anything you may say may be used against you in a court of law. Warning its been done before up in aberdeen.

Dont want anyone getting in trouble :( x

·
Registered
435 Posts
I promise you, you will need to use the digital speedo at all times. The analog speedo at normal speeds will make you cry because it never seems like you are going fast.

Came from riding a 1050cc motorcycle, I knew it wouldn't be as fast, but I am realizing that I am getting almost the same performance but it doesn't feel the same to me because I am sitting in a comfy seat. 140 on the bike got my heart racing, 145 in the S5 just made me feel weird because I was going mad fast and I felt way too safe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I take it you done your run-in period and have pushed it now :D 140mph don't think I've gone that far yet - when I was racing Kal we hit 125 - 130ish or there abouts but was crapping it a bit :eek: (as the bridge was bumpy) so didn't look at the speedo.
Aye Saj i have hit the 1 k mark now and have been having more fun.I thought you must have been touching the 140 mark going round the sweeping bend after the bridge.Oh and what happened about Rabs video did i miss it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not a frequent visitor to this site but I've got to say this thread is one of the most useful I've ever read here. I wish mfr's / car mags would stop bleating about 0-60 times and tell me what you guys have all just told me. Far more useful. And yes, your responses have brought a smile to my face on the very day I've just had an email from my dealer telling me my car has now been built and has been delivered to the boat ready for shipping. So it should arrive here in Oz in May sometime. At last!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.