Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm approaching the 500 mile mark in the S5. So far i have been well behaved and have been driving it like a normal car. Haven't taken it past 4000/5000rpm... So difficult not to put your foot down and unleash the power. Especially when you can hear the V8 growling at you.

The run in period is almost over.. I predict another 2 weeks. Going for a long drive on the weekend. The time is near.....:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some Say 500miles, Most dealers recommend running the engine in for 1000 miles or so.
I have seen them being driven in the holding carpark in Grimsby (UK), believe me they are well and truly run in even before you get them!

Especially if you have a car waiting to be dispatched during snow. I used to work opposite, even since the old Audi Quattro they were doing syncronised doughnuts! Impressive driving!

My advice, have fun :D .

·
Registered
196 Posts
My mechanic at the local Reno Audi dealer said to drive it hard from day one--it shouldn't hurt anything and if it's going to break, do it under warranty. I would assume the UK Audis and US Audis are treated the same at the factory. I have put 4000 miles on the Fridge (08 S5, Ibis white w/Tuscan Brown, all available options) in the last two weeks (road trip around the U.S.) with 2000 miles to go and it's been fine (other than not liking a tank of high ethanol content gasoline). Since it's been cleaned out it's fine and I just had my 5000 mile service in Houston, Tx, and all checked out ok.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be on the safe side im going to let it go to 1000 miles. Everyday i drive there is some college kid in a boy racer wanting to compete.. I just ignore and go on cruise mode... After all the sun is out in the UK... and its not often that happens. For now cruisin with 20" rims is also fun... but the sun wont last forever :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
The purpose of running an engine is, is to let the cylinders and other engine parts find their final dimensions in their environment. That being the case, at rpms, you can get into the millions in rotations in not too many miles. That is my logic. Therfore, 500 miles sounds good to me. I've been driving somewhat easy with occasional times of hard throttle followed by ease to let things cool back down.

I'm at about 400 miles and I am losing my patience as I listen to the exhaust. At 500 I'm going to drive the way I want. That leaves 49,500 miles for things to break if they want to.

I will also do a full oil change and lubrication at 3000 miles just to get rid of the run in debris.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Watch yout type of journey too. longer journeys with the engine up to temperature are much better, particularly in the first 500 miles. I suggest you just take it down the motorway/freeway for a couple of hundred miles. That's the kindest you can be to the engine and then hopefully you will have topped your 500 mile mark and can give it hell!

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMO, the 500 mile "break in" period is a myth . For one, most manufacturers (including audi) run several hours of engine diagnostic and performance tests before the car is released from the factory which are designed to make sure your car does not end up with a lemon of an enginge. True, the tests are limited, but they mimic normal acceleration and decelaration patterns. Second, the way these engines are built today, it is virtually impossible to destroy the engine short of purposefully redlining it way beyond reasonable use.

I know most of you will laugh at what I said, but let me put it to you this way: If there was such a thing as a "break in" period, car manufacturers would make you sign a document that makes you promise not to drive fast/push the engine during a pre-determined number of miles. That way, if you don't comply, they have an easy way out of expensive warranty repairs. Today, no manufacturer in the world does this. Ask yourself why.

·
Registered
220 Posts
First of all, no offense manny, but, would you sign that agreement?

Secondly,you are correct in the design of the car, but, if you want the car to go an extended period without any major problems, is it such a difficult task to ease things in.

IMO, if you want to make her like you, do you go for broke on the first date?

·
Registered
750 Posts
That is a good analogy S5, most of the reading I have done supports a "moderate" run-in period before really opening it up. I have seen ranges from 500 miles to 1000 miles and even as high as 2500 miles (gasp!).

I think a "safe" period is somewhere between 500-1000 miles, Volvo and BMW is also somewhere in that range (at least I have never had problems with either make following that rule).

IMO, at 500+ miles you can be less "moderate", but I personally would still wait until about ~1000 miles before pulling 140mph (but it will be hard!!!!).

BTW..."less moderate" to me is <= 100(ish) :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm sitting at just over 800 miles on the A5, I've actually just started to allow myself to climb high on the tach. That's hard for me, because I'm used to taking my cars up to redline regularly (is every traffic light regular?).

But also, I think there's been a slight change in my engine's character in the last hundred hundred miles or so. I know that could sound a bit silly, but there's definitely something to it. There's been a noticeable increase in the reported fuel economy over the same stretches of road with the same type of driving. That's a clear sign that the engine has started to loosen up, and has crossed a bit of a break-in threshold.

Not following a conservative 1000-mile-or-so break in strategy probably won't result in your car blowing up. In fact, it may do nothing more than shorten the car's life expectancy from, say, 250,000 miles to 230,000. But I say it's cheap insurance, and certianly can't do any harm. And with gas prices as high as they've been, it's just another good excuse to be gentle with the right foot for a time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Manny is right!!! I wanted to argue with you about this so called "break in period" because so many of you think of it as crucial . There is even a topic about how to properly "break into" your car. :)

That time has long gone and now you cannot harm the engine if you rev it up not keeping it on the red section.

You do it because it was done by your father which heard about it at his father and so on...not because it actually affects the car in some strange way, only to ease your mind and not blame yourself if something got broke!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Well, the engines are 'run-in' in the factory. However, it still makes good engineering sense to allow the engine, drivetrain and running gear 'bed-in' befor exposing them to full loads. So if people wish to do this, for peace of mind and to make sure they are looking after their expensive equipment in the best possible way, then let them and don't berate them for it...

...it's a bit like looking twice before you cross the road. Once is enough to tell if anything is coming, but you wouldn't give someone a hard time because they took a second look.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
...it's a bit like looking twice before you cross the road. Once is enough to tell if anything is coming, but you wouldn't give someone a hard time because they took a second look.
I like that analogy!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don't listen to these worthless humans. Talk to your S5 and she'll surely tell you to not hold back. My baby always tells me good things to cheer me up on a bad day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I kept the revs in my S5 under 3500 for the first 1000 miles, i have done this with the last 4 audi quattros i have owned.
what you have to remember is it is not just the engine you are running-in the transmission, diffs, and even the brakes and tyres have a run-in period.
On another note, i have not had any of the heavy oil consumption woes of some of the thrashed from new members, i have now covered 3000 miles and have not had to top-up the oil level at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.