Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't find any previous threads. I've read posts on snow tires, but I haven't seen anything on snow chains. According to the manual, the A5 can use them. Here's the issue. I live in Arizona but am about to travel to northern Utah for the holidays and anticipate snow covered passes. Purchasing snow tires at this point isn't an option. Does anyone have any advice on snow chains? I'm looking for something to get me over the passes if chains are required without taking a big chunk of $$$ out of my wallet. Since my use of these will be minimal, I'm looking for the "safe", economical chain. Help... :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
While I don't remember the brand names, my tire store told me that there are available 2 different cable chains in the $100-$150 range (255-35/19"). He also said to check with the manufacturer of both the chains and Audi to make sure the clearance is adequate. While I would not be anxious to put chains on the car, many states have laws making chains manditory as far as carrying them. My theory is if I need chains to go somewhere, I'm not going. They are to get back home with (this probably doesn't help you). Traditional chains will not work--your fenders will look like a bag of walnuts when you are done!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely agree about putting them on, I'm not keen on having to do so and if I lived in an area where we had the snowfall, I'd be driving on snow tires. I found some low profile cables for the tire which I'm leaning towards, but I'm seeking advice first. Like you, I wouldn't normally put them on, but this trip requires me to have them available and there's a "slight" possibility I may have to use them...five storms projected in the next 13 days. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have an A5, but a front-wheel drive A3. Where I live winter tyres are almost mandatory (if you have an accident in winter with summer tyres it's your fault, end of) so everyone uses them. But I'm still glad I've had my chains with me the couple of times I've had to use them. When you're driving on snow on top of ice four wheel drive and snow tyres don't count for much. It's then you really need the chains to bite in. They're great, and as long as you drive slowly (below 30mph) I really don't see what the big issue is with them.

Are things different on the A5? Maybe there's less clearance between the tyre and wheel arch than I'm used to?

One thing's for sure though - if you do end up carrying chains or cables, make sure to practice putting them on before trying to do it for real. They're pretty complicated 'till you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info...when I purchase, you can guarantee practice will be forthcoming. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Snow chains

Iam planning to buy chains but the problem is the size of tires. My tires are 245,40,18. The user book of Audi A5 says that it is possible to use chains only with basic size of tires.

I found chains for my size but it is my own liability to use them. Do you know is it fine to use them or is the clearance too small?

please let me know!

I did a search and didn't find any previous threads. I've read posts on snow tires, but I haven't seen anything on snow chains. According to the manual, the A5 can use them. Here's the issue. I live in Arizona but am about to travel to northern Utah for the holidays and anticipate snow covered passes. Purchasing snow tires at this point isn't an option. Does anyone have any advice on snow chains? I'm looking for something to get me over the passes if chains are required without taking a big chunk of $$$ out of my wallet. Since my use of these will be minimal, I'm looking for the "safe", economical chain. Help... :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Winter Chains,
Where do you live?? I would suggest going to a "real" tire dealer and trying them on. There is not much clearance but then you should not be going too fast. However, there is always the chance that your fenders will look like a bag of walnuts!!
Try the chains on both the front and rear (I assume you have quattro). Use them on the wheels that provide the most clearance to the fenders. Remember, however, that the chains will "expand" when they are rolling.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was able to speak to hugh029 about how his trip to northern Utah went, and to my unbelief the crazy people in the small towns between here and AZ didn't try to eat him (Sorry I have just seen too many road trip movies that end that way). And also his summer tire packing A5 went fine the whole trip.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I guess he didn't stay in The Bates Motel!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the Alps in central Europe! I will meet the "real" tire dealer tomorrow.. Let see what will happen after careful try out of chains..
thank you for the tips drjer1.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On the Alps in central Europe! I will meet the "real" tire dealer tomorrow.. Let see what will happen after careful try out of chains..
thank you for the tips drjer1.
Let us know how it works out for you and which chains you used.

I'm planning a trip to the alps as well. Live in London so don't need winter tyres but a bit nervous about chains.

I have the 19" y spoke alloys.

Also, does anyone know if you can put chains on only two wheels or whether you need them on all four (I have quattro)?

Thanks

Great forum by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ciao!
We tested chains on Thursday. It doesn't work. First of all it took too long time for the two tire professionals. It was fine when car was stopped or if the speed would be very very slow. BUT the most experienced and oldest tire boss mentioned NO WAY! The final result would be bad after small bumps in the road.

As drjer1 said: There is not much clearance but then you should not be going too fast. However, there is always the chance that your fenders will look like a bag of walnuts!!"

So tyre dealer didn't even like to sell them. I don't remember the brand of chains (spare part, not Audi brand). Loops were small (important) and size was exatly for my tires.

My Audi user book says that put chains on only to front wheels (despite quattro). My advice is that do not even try out chains with 19 wheels"

Welcome to Alpps. I used summer tires also today and it was fine to go skiresorts..

Let us know how it works out for you and which chains you used.

I'm planning a trip to the alps as well. Live in London so don't need winter tyres but a bit nervous about chains.

I have the 19" y spoke alloys.

Also, does anyone know if you can put chains on only two wheels or whether you need them on all four (I have quattro)?

Thanks

Great forum by the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the info Winter Chains. I was afraid that it would not be possible to fit chains on it. It sounds like this is your experience as well.

I think that snow chains are a legal requirement in the ski resort that I am going to (Val D'isere). I might just rent a car when I get there if snow is forecast...

If anybody else has experience with chains on their A5/S5 (especially with 19" alloys) it would be greatly appreciated. I searched several forums for this info and could not find anything very useful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got the same problem, and was looking at this website/product:

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

I think I may need to email them to enquire about the correct size. They also say that they are probably not a legal replacement for chains....

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
There seems to be a few of us, maybe we can arrange a group buy/discount if we find a solution that suits us all...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've found a suitable product and have posted more info on the group-buy forum

Please let me know if you're interested.

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
anyone have any experience to share with snow chains on the a5/s5 - in particular with 19" wheels?

ChrisD posted a while back on this thread about the possibility of renting?

I am going skiing in a few weeks and looking for any info on snow chains.

Tx

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm in process of renting Spikes Spiders from roofbox.co.uk, just about to supply my details to them (does anyone know the wheel nut size of the 19" Y spokes?) Will post more when I have some experiences, but all seems to be progressing nicely so far....

They allow you 13 days of hire starting from the day you leave. You have to make sure they are returned within that period or get charged extra per day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts