Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Snow and 4WD

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Passing 
#1 ·
First experience of snow in a 4WD car on Wednesday night when there was around 4 inches of unploughed snow in SW Scotland for about 15 miles on the route I use.
Caught up on a truck after a few miles and that had been dropping big lumps off the wheel arches that hit the car with a clunk driving over them. After that it was virgin snow and playtime.
The 4wd was certainly more capable than FWD I had before (which was not actually as capable as the Saab FWD before that due to more weight on the front wheel I think).
Only one serious slide but I put that down to the Bridgestones which I guess are more summer than winter rated. Frightened a few other 2WD shite knuckle brigade in some more almost snow nearer Glasgow.

Would be awesome on true winter tyres.

#2 ·
The quattro does do well on snow. I know some people might prefer to turn the ASR or ESP off while on snow or ice, but from my experience it's a good idea to keep both on.

The bridgestone potenzas are indeed rubbish on snow or icey ground, they're not meant for it afterall.

#4 ·
Esp/asr

I think that I would only turn off the ESP/ASR when travelling at slow speeds on ice.

I would have expected the ESP/ASR to be at its best when dealing with variable grip conditions travelling at moderate speed over snow.

My Saab had no electronics whatsoever - did not need them - you pointed the front wheels hwere you wanted to go and off it went. Used to be fun around town in deep snow - others would get stuck trying to follow.

Yes I agree the tyres are probably the weak point in the cold but even in Scotland I don't think I will go to the expense of winter ones.

More snow on Saturday night and I will be travelling the same route probably.

#7 ·
Potenzas on snow??? You must be kidding! Only one time I didn't take them off early enough on my last car - Acura Intergra - and I almost died of fright.
We rarely get snow here in the central belt of Scotland. Temperatures aren't exactly low enough either to have winter tyres on for a long duration. A good all season tyre would probably be best here.

#6 ·
Snow and Potenzas

I know

#11 ·
Well, it'll be interesting to see how the A5 is in snow after spending the last year behind the wheel of a Freelander 2, which coped well in snow, mud and fields.

I no longer have a need to tow and I'm now picking up an approved used A5 next week :)

#14 ·
I can only echo that the A5 is pretty fantastic on snow. Living in a region which gets fairly cold winters, I opted for Nokian Hakkapelitta winter tyres. The car is extremely stable and predictable with the systems turned on. The best thing is that the systems seem to allow the car to lose just a little bit of grip before jumping in, which means you can let the tail drift coming out of corners.

Would not recommend switching the systems off though. I did try that while on a deserted and snowy parking lot. It was a lot of fun but the car becomes very difficult to control if you give it too much throttle.

#15 ·
Well, i turned the ESPand ASR off in a completely iced over car park at my work, just to see the difference betweeen having ESP and ASR on, and off completely.

With ESP off, turning a corner, I gave it a bit of throttle to see how it coped. It ended up turning 180degrees, even trying to counteract the car spinning.

ESP on with the same amount of throttle, it turned the corner normal. You felt the rear end kicking out, but the ESP corrected it perfectly and got the car round the corner. It really is quite intelligent.

On that note, I was driving a FWD volvo last week. And the system on that is also very good as well.

#16 ·
3.0 TDI Sport here with 19" Dunlop Sport Maxx - Quattro is really impressive in the snow but also one dark cold frosty mornings where you just know there is plenty of black ice around on the road! Just change my tyres - got 30,000 miles out of the original Sport Maxx's which is incredible considering the way I hoof it around country roads... is a testiment to the abilities of Quattro in reducing wheel slip/spin.

#17 ·
tyres

Wow - 30K out of a set of tyres - I only got 17k out of the front ones on my Passat TDi even with ASR, if I did not rotate them, and so was expecting serious bills for the A5. I was unsure how the Quattro and the increased torque would end up re tyres but I guess that sharing the load across all four is more efficient in the end.
After the Passat factory fitted Dunlops I would not normally have looked at them again. But I will have to relegate that prejudice in the light of your comment.
Thanks !

#18 · (Edited)
Passing - I should have stated that the majority of the 30k miles was motorway driving...

Is just as well they lasted 30k miles.... the cheapest quote to replace them was £889 from my dealer after haggling. The most expensive was £1280!!! :eek::mad:

#20 ·
Passing - I should have stated that the majority of the 30k miles was motorway driving...

Is just as well they lasted 30k miles.... the cheapest quote to replace them was £889 from my dealer after haggling. The most expensive was £1280!!! :eek::mad:
Lol. You'd be better ordering them on www.blackcircles.co.uk. Normally around £150 for a high performance tyre, delivered to your local garage and fitment is included in the price.

#19 ·
Tyres

I have seen prices for 18in on my A5 ranging from unspecified brand at £150 to £260 each continentals. I stayed off the 19 in for my backside (despite my own padding) and my wallet sake.

I had Contis on my Passat and the grip was superb wet or dry. A lot of my miles are local and the roads around here are poor quality. But a fair proportion was also M-way up and down to the smoke and so I was disappointed at 17k.
I am monitoring the wear on the bridgestones to also determine wether the audi maintenance scheme including tyres is economic. At 30k per set it would not but at below 20k it would be.

#21 ·
tyres

Black circles seem to be slightly cheaper for these tyres than e-tyres.co.uk who I normally use.
They send out a mobile fitting van with the tyres and fit at your work or home. Great service if you live within their coverage.#
If nothing else their prices can be used to talk the likes of kwik fit into a sensible response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.