Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to view your sms text messages on the mmi screen if you have bluetooth prep? If anyone can, let me know what phone your using.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I dont know if you can text or see texts on the MMI screen. I'm a talker not a texter.

However, whilst most bluetooth phones will work, you need sim access profile to be fully functional. Most modern Nokia phones will be fine. All the N range have sim access profile. I have used a nokia 6230i and N95 - 8 gig with no problems.

Here is a list from the german wiki site that have sim access profile:

• Nokia 3250, 5500, 5300, 5700 XpressMusic, 6021, 6103, 6110 Navigator, 6111, 6120, 6125, 6131, 6230, 6230i, 6233, 6234, 6270, 6280, 6288, 6300, 6810, 6820, 6822, 7280, 8800, Communicator 9300, Communicator 9300i, Communicator 9500 (ab Software 5.22), E90, E50, E60, E61, E65, E70, N71, N73, N76, N80, N91, N92, N93, N93i, N95
  • BenQ-Siemens C81, CL71, CX75, E71, EL71, M75, M81, S65, S68, S75, SK65, SL75, SP65
  • T-Mobile MDA Mail, MDA Pro, MDA Compact II, MDA Vario II und I (nur mit neuestem Geräteupdate - zusätzlich zu Bluetooth das Programm "SAP Einstellungen" starten und SIM Access einschalten)
  • O2 XDA Trion, O2 XDA Nova
  • O2 XDA Orbit (nach der Aktivierung des SAP Profiles - funktioniert nicht im Passat B6)
  • HTC TyTN
  • Vodafone VPA III compact (Programm "SAP-Einstellungen": Remote SIM Access aktivieren)
  • Samsung SGH-U700 und F700 (bzw. Qbowl)

·
Registered
275 Posts
ON my previous audi, I had the extra courtesy bluetooth handset in the armrest, and it worked with the MMI for any SMS messages, but haven't owned any phones that could benefit from this exterior functionality.... they communicate for phoning, but not texting....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can confirm that you can read text message on the MMI screen. Tested it tonight on ones already stored on the phone.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Could you please take a picture of this? I'm very curious on how this looks on the screen. Thanks...
Attached are a few pics.

which bluetooth do u have.
I have a Nokia N95 8 gig. However my previous Nokia 6230i worked almost the same. (the 6230i would be locked when attached to the phone by bluetooth. The N95 still allows a number of phone functions to work. Mainly those that are not linked in with the car).

All the Nokia "N" range have sim access profile as an option to turn on or off. If you look at the pics, next to the time you will see a picture of a sim card. That means you should have full working access. If you see a picture of a phone instead with yours that means you are only getting limited functionality.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is it the case also that text messages must be stored on your sim for this to work? Many phones give you the option of storing sms either on the phone or on the sim.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thats very good - usually the N95 won't work with BMWs or my TT either, amazed it has such good functionality here - do you get names onscreen for the stored numbers in your phone and / or sim card as well? :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think that you need the bluetooth kit plus the privacy handset to be able to get the SMS functionality (which we have) plus SIM access capability for your pnone.

My wife and I now have Nokia 6300's because we need our phones to connect in our S5 and our RS4, and unfortunately they have totally different bluetooth kits. We looked into several phones and the Nokia 6300 is probably the only one that will work reliably with both the SIM access profile in MMI (A5, new A4, A6, A8, Q7) based systems and the bluetooth set-up on RNS-E based systems (A3, A4, TT, etc.

The SMS is quite cool, but it only stores messages sent or received whilst in the car. The phone call lists are the same too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
An interesting thread....

I have Phone Prep (Low)...but i was told by my local dealership (not the guys i've got the car from cos i think i've done their nut in already!!) that SMS won't be displayed on the MMI screen.

It says in the brochure that the Low Prep is for Sypmphny or Concert Radio and i have DVD Sat Nav and the spec guide states that the High Prep is only used with DVD Sat Nav. Unless i'm gettin the high prep for the price of the low, which i won't complain about!!!

Its quite confusing cos it's like some sales staff know a lot about the cars and there are some who are ummmming and aaa-ing most of the time.

I guess i'll wait for the arrival of the car before i can test it all out properly.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think that you need the bluetooth kit plus the privacy handset to be able to get the SMS functionality (which we have) plus SIM access capability for your pnone.
You dont need privacy handset. I havent got that and as you can see it works fine.

Is it the case also that text messages must be stored on your sim for this to work? Many phones give you the option of storing sms either on the phone or on the sim.
That isnt an option I have come across on mine. I think it stores it on sim as default.

do you get names onscreen for the stored numbers in your phone and / or sim card as well?
You can import the tel phone book into the car phonebook. It was pretty messy with the 6230i with names being back to front (surname, first name wrong way round). However, that was a known issue with that and many other earlier nokia phones. I havent tried an import with the N95 but I do know that other software that integrates with this phone shows the surname/christian name the right way round.

The SMS is quite cool, but it only stores messages sent or received whilst in the car. The phone call lists are the same too.
The message you saw on my pics posted was on the phone and not received whilst in the car. I do agree on the phone list though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ak-1. if you have the basic GSM phone prep then you'll definitely not be able to see SMS messages. This functionality is only possible with the enhanced bluetooth option in conjunctio with SIM access profile. Doubledoom confirms that you don't actuallt need the privacy handset option to get SMS (although the brochure indicates that you do), but perhaps this is just for sending messages as using the speller in the MMI would take forever. What history is dispayed would seem to differ by phone and which memory it is set to use. Typically the sales staff don't understand enough to advise. If there is something specific that you need you can't wait till the car arrives 'cos it's to late.

·
Registered
36 Posts
*Nipper*

Thanks for the advice, i'll just wait now and see when the car arrives.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Doubledoom confirms that you don't actuallt need the privacy handset option to get SMS (although the brochure indicates that you do), but perhaps this is just for sending messages as using the speller in the MMI would take forever.
I think you have cracked it there. You cannot send a text without the privacy phone. You can receive text without it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.