Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I collected my new 3.0 tdi sport a week ago last Friday, I was well pleased with it, until last Wednesday.. I was in traffic and smoke or steam started to come out of the gap between the bonnet and front wing on drivers side( temp gauge showed 90 as normal) so I stopped and called the Audi dealer where the car came from to ask them what I should do, they told me to call Audi assistance. The rac came out to me (luckily I was parked in a hotel car park so I popped in for a beer while I waited, to try and make my self feel better) they came in no time at all. The rac man could not find where the smoke was coming from and when I re started the car it had gone so he said he would follow me to Cardiff Audi, the traffic was heavy on the motorway heading to Cardiff Audi and again no sign of the smoke, I left the car with Audi for them to do checks and I got a call Thursdays afternoon to tell me they could find nothing wrong and everything is as it should be so I collected the car.

On Friday I went to Exeter for the weekend and had no problems and no sign of the smoke… until Sunday I was just pulling into a carpark and noticed the smoke again but this time a lot worse so I turned the car off and the smoke went away and when I restarted the car it was gone I didn’t bother phoning the rac, I drove back to Exeter a few hours later and drove back via Weston super mare today with no smoke!

I feel very disappointed that my new pride and joy has this problem and I really don’t know what to do as I know that I will take it back to the dealers and there will be no sign of it and they will say there is nothing wrong! What do I do?? The car is leased and I have not signed the vehicle acceptance form yet

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
163 Posts
My experience with the same symptoms turned out to be fluid leaking onto the hot exhaust manifold. In my case it was radiator antifreeze that only leaked during periods when the car was hot and the fitting where it was leaking from expanded. It did not do it when it was cold. Check to see if there is a smell coming with the smoke, or check for any fluid leaks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My only suggestion would be to take a digital camera with you (one that takes movies too) and take some pictures and videos when it starts smoking again (obviously if it's safe to do so) - these kind of faults drive me mad as they are never repeatable when you need them to be.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Displays2go - I should have stated that it has NOT happened with A5 - this was with a previous car I had about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Call Audi UK and make a complaint it wasnt dealt with to the degree you are happy they will sort it out.

my a4 cab, i spotted lots of oil on the driveway one morning and i wasnt to sure being a girl i didnt think twice plus i was late for work, got to work and i thought mmmm maybe ill call and ask, so i called rac came out, looked at it and said no nothing wrong, but drive it over to audi to get it checked, so at lunchtime took the car to get lunch noticed more oil in the ground called audi uk got rac out again and it turned out my car was dumping oil from the gear box and it had caused heaps of damage to the camshaft pulleys timing beat and some other nice expensive parts of my engine, so it got towed off and fixed but that was the last time i drove it, i got my a5 a week later (extreme yes but the end of the road for me too much had happened before)

so presue and get it fixed, dont let them cope out and tell you nothing is wrong when something most defo is!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies, When it was smoking i did open the bonnet and pulled the engine cover off to see if i could see where it was coming from but it goes away so quick i had no chance of seeing where it is coming from also when it happened on sunday i thought there was a strong burning smell but i was near a steam train that was running on parafin so i think the smell was that! its just strange that as soon as i restart the engine straight after it smoking it stops

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
if in doubt get it checked.... xx

hope you get it sorted x

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm. With the temperature gauge normal I can't see it being a leak.

Now for the boring bit...alot of VW Diesel engines have Eberspaechers - or secondary diesel heaters - basically to warm the cabin up quickly on really cold mornings. These have a vent on them which is normally placed in between the drivers door and the front wing - and it looks like smoke - sometimes billowings coming up from the front wing. It only happens when the temperature is really low

My Wife's VW Diesel Touran does exactly the same.

Might be worth asking about.

A

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think its just me and new vehicles! I have a vw transporter van that needed a new gearbox at 2000 miles a renault megane that needed a new starter motor at 4000miles thats in the last 2 years! the one thing that upsets me more than anything that i will be without my new pride and joy that i have waited ages for

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a smell of burning rubber, (and smoke the first time it happened) coming from mine a couple of times in the first 1000 miles, but couldn't find the source. I went under the car and nothing hotter than it should be, exhaust mounts all okay, tyres, discs and calipers were fine too. Nothing obviously untoward under the bonnet, although the smell seemed strongest to the nearside rear.
It only happened when the car had been doing a steady 60-70 down the motorway and when it was raining and hasn't re-emerged in the last 4000 miles. I wondered if it was something to do with the brake system's water removal gadget, or perhaps I'd picked up a piece of rubber from the road and this had got caught on the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I had a smell of burning rubber, (and smoke the first time it happened) coming from mine a couple of times in the first 1000 miles, but couldn't find the source. I went under the car and nothing hotter than it should be, exhaust mounts all okay, tyres, discs and calipers were fine too. Nothing obviously untoward under the bonnet, although the smell seemed strongest to the nearside rear.
It only happened when the car had been doing a steady 60-70 down the motorway and when it was raining and hasn't re-emerged in the last 4000 miles. I wondered if it was something to do with the brake system's water removal gadget, or perhaps I'd picked up a piece of rubber from the road and this had got caught on the exhaust.
I've exactly these symptoms on 2 different occasions now. Once was a couple of weeks ago after a long drive (all motorway) to Southampton and again last night after a trip down the A1 from Leeds.

I took the car into Doncaster Audi this morning and one of their Master Technicians (MT) came for a ride up the M18. Sods Law says that although nicely warmed up ;), the symptoms didn't reappear.

The MT still took the car into the workshop and had a mosey around. He couldn't find anything obvious but he did suggest that it could be the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The DPF has to get to around 900 Deg C to burn off soot etc and that it could be this that is making adjacent rubber bits hot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts