Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a situation on Saturday where I had to brake very hard from a high speed.

At the end of the braking period, there was some brake fade, but I stopped ok.

A couple of minutes later I pulled up at some traffic lights, to smell burning and see smoke coming from my nearside front wheel, I pulled in to look and it was coming from the brake area.

I didnt want to throw water on in case of cracking / warping so drove around some quiet roads slowly to air cool the brakes and avoided having to use them.

The following day they seemed ok and worked fine.

Do you think that I have done any damage to the brakes in question and should I get them checked, or is this normal under heavy braking and they will have returned to normal performance after cooling?

I thought they were cross drilled disks which should improve performance but may be wrong.

Thanks,

·
Registered
254 Posts
If brakes now feel ok, no harm will have been done.Glazing of new brake pads can occur if not bedded in gently.Pretty certain you have ventilated front discs and solid rear discs:)

ps what sort of speed were you doing?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
what made you brake so hard, a speed camera:D

·
Registered
750 Posts

Do you think that I have done any damage to the brakes in question and should I get them checked, or is this normal under heavy braking and they will have returned to normal performance after cooling?

Thanks,
Especially if your car is fairly new (e.g. less than a few thousand miles), you experienced what all new brake pads experience, that is, all new brake pads are coated with an anti-rust coating so they don't rust on the shelf before install..generally, it is Cosmoline (sounds like gasoline a bit), when hard breaking happens on new or relatively new break pads, the Cosmoline (or similar coating) will burn off, and smoke.

Very common, totally normal.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
As ccompton has said, happened to me within the first 3-400 miles when me and Doubledoom convoyed to APS, he was driving his S5 pretty fast and had to push the car to keep up lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.