Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that when I switch the small front lights on I only get the DRLs on at a lower intensity than when then headlights are off but the small bulbs remain dark and do not actually light at any position of the switch. Am I at the verge of a niggle here?:confused:

Regards
George

·
Registered
714 Posts
This is normal but for most of us it is a niggle.

When all your other lights are off the DRLs are bright. The assumption is that it's daytime and your DRLs need to be bright so that they can be seen.

If you switch the side lights on (or the light sensor does it for you) then dimmed DRLs become the front lights. It kind of makes sense ... you're expected to do this when it gets darker hence the front DRLs don't need to be so bright (they can dazzle other drivers in the dark).

The simple rule is that if you have your rear lights on then the DRLs will be dim. Switch the tail lights off and the front DRLs are bright.

There are plenty of posts here about changing this behaviour so that the DRLs stay bright (requires VAGCOM)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanx for the response TLU, going through my post again I must admit I found it to be a bit misleading actually. Sorry about that. The thing is I can totally relate to the way DRLs are supposed to operate depending on what the state of the side, head or even indicator (allow me to add them too) lights is. On the other hand, my concern sources from the fact that in my case when the switch is turned to the side lights mode the two side light bulbs won't turn on and I only get the dimmed (as expected) DRLs and of course the tail lights. Not for nothing the side bulbs are supposed to turn on simultaneously with the dimming of the DRLs, aren't they? So, you guys think it is a glitch? In such case shouldn't I be getting a message upon start up? Thanx in advance
George

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I think Geo_SKG is talking about the parking light and not the DRL's as he mentions the following ...

Geo_SKG said:
... but the small bulbs remain dark and do not actually light at any position of the switch.

In the UK (and possibly other markets), this light only illuminates under the following conditions:

1. The ignition is OFF
  2. The indicator switch is moved to the 'indicate left' position (or 'right' for the other side)
The rear lights on the same side will also be illuminated. In the UK (where it was once illegal to park on the street without lights), this function is a Parking Light and should be used to light up the car on the traffic side when parked at night in poorly lit areas.

I can remember my Dad having a small light with red and white lenses that clipped onto the top of the driver's window and plugged into a small socket under the dashboard (long before cigarette lighters were fitted).

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe the lights you are referring to are the parking lights. Try leaving your indicator on when you park up. Turn off the ignition and check the headlights. The small bulbs I think you are talking about will be lit on the side you have your indicator on (ie if you indicate left before switching off the left parking light bulb will be illuminated). This is as designed and not a fault with the car (at least for Euro spec cars).

A number of us had the same question at an APS meet earlier in the year and trial and error came up with this answer. Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Oh bugger ... my two young sons and I were wondering what those were and we had identified them as lasers but we just couldn't find the option in the MMI to fire them. They're gonna be kind of disappointed when they find out they're just lights :(

·
Registered
821 Posts
Oh bugger ... my two young sons and I were wondering what those were and we had identified them as lasers but we just couldn't find the option in the MMI to fire them. They're gonna be kind of disappointed when they find out they're just lights :(
:rofl: :D

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Yes but they can be 'fired' independently - allowing for some redundancy in the event of 'returning fire' inflicting damage on one side.;)

Made me chuckle...:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:eek:Ok, you can all imagine how naive I feel. At least I can now bounce into bed knowing it is not a glitch... Thanx for the prompt responses (I appreciate that you guys care about my sleep) and REB thanx for taking the time to process the photo.

Best regards
George

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:D:D:D
TLU, hey man they don't have to know about it untill New Year's eve. You are then going to fire them using the indicators! Hey, don't forget to dim those DRLs for the laser beams to be more spectacular!:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts