41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

is that too much of a tease...????

oh ok then.....

and then the money shot....

The wheels have been waxed and sealed with Gtechniq C2v3 Liquid Crystal, inside the barrels and front faces, will see how well that lasts....

Now just need the good weather again to paint the grill and the rear diffuser...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
bloody boils my you know what when people do a half arsed attempt.... do people not check their work thoroughly???

bloody tyre fitters, collected the wheels late Friday and went to put them on, all good.... drove a couple of miles to ensure all was good, all good.
Reversing back into my drive as normal, had a sound at very slow speed like a metal pea being rattled in an aluminium can.... Wheels up, and rotated all of them, NSF was were the "tinkle" lived..... first thoughts were WTF have I done, what's catching.... nothing came the reply in my head, took the wheel off and rolled it about, yup definite "tinkle".... going away early the next morning meant it had to wait until today.....

Wheel off, into the tyre bay... watching them like a hawk so they didn't damage the newly PPC'd wheel..... tyre off and an old bloody wheel weight was rattling around the inside of the tyre.....
Tyre back on and onto the balancing machine, I questioned how they were going to remove the sticky residue from the "old" balancing weight... "We have just the tool for that sir", off he went and bounced back with a wire brush.....
WTF are you going to use that on came my abrupt question..... As if that even touches my wheel you'd need it surgically removing...…

His face was a picture..... Needless to say a small amount of brake cleaner and a quick rub with tissue was all it needed (I did it myself rather than risk the ""fitter"" doing it) and no wire brushes were harmed in the sorting of my tinkle.....

·
Registered
848 Posts
bloody boils my you know what when people do a half arsed attempt.... do people not check their work thoroughly??? Bloody tyre fitters, off he went and bounced back with a wire brush.....
WTF are you going to use that on came my abrupt question..... As if that even touches my wheel you'd need it surgically removing...…
Would that surgery be of the kind where you see those tv shows of strangest injuries accompanied by an x-ray of the sphincter I wonder? 0:)

I am really careful with my car and I absolutely hate even the thought of leaving it with spanner monkeys for work, but still, I try not to micro manage other peoples jobs. Though I wonder where professional honour and craftsmanship has gone as the half-arsed way of doing things seems very prevailing these days :/

Regards

Reactions: danjwilson

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Would that surgery be of the kind where you see those tv shows of strangest injuries accompanied by an x-ray of the sphincter I wonder? 0:)

I am really careful with my car and I absolutely hate even the thought of leaving it with spanner monkeys for work, but still, I try not to micro manage other peoples jobs. Though I wonder where professional honour and craftsmanship has gone as the half-arsed way of doing things seems very prevailing these days :/

Regards
Tyres and MOT's.... everything else I'll do myself. I have a deep loathing of paying people to fuck things up i can fuck up myself for free.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
there are just some things you have to have, they can be like little jewels and your life isn't complete without them.....
For me I have been distracted by the inner door handles as fitted to the RS5 and Cabriolets (I think??)….. cheapest place I found them was again at my local friendly neighbourhood Audi dealership....
They were on back order from Germany, ordered Friday, arrived today...…

Simple case of whip the door cards off and swap over...

before

after

one step closer....

·
Registered
440 Posts
there are just some things you have to have, they can be like little jewels and your life isn't complete without them.....
For me I have been distracted by the inner door handles as fitted to the RS5 and Cabriolets (I think??)….. cheapest place I found them was again at my local friendly neighbourhood Audi dealership....
They were on back order from Germany, ordered Friday, arrived today...…

Simple case of whip the door cards off and swap over...
ooo now they are pretty things!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The vibration on accelerating around 70mph is baffling, with the vehicle up in the air (so wheels at full suspension drop) there is absolutely nothing wrong. So I thought today i'd drive on some ramps and have a look underneath with the suspension under load as though it's being driven. Again, all suspension parts are tight, no obvious issues with bushes...

However what I have noticed, the drivers side driveshaft... whilst in the air, so it is extended there is no movement, when on the ground and the suspension is compressed there is significant play that would cause an oscillation when rotating... In all my years of quattro ownership I've never seen a driveshaft like this (I've had bad CV joints before). Passenger side (this being exactly the same as the drivers side driveshaft) shows absolutely zero oscillation.
So, new driveshaft ordered and will see if that eliminates the issue....

In other news, I've ordered a cruise control stalk as I miss that and the S5 needs it.....

and as it was sunny and I felt like washing the thing, I also dragged the bike out to introduce her to the S5

fingers crossed the driveshaft cures the vibration.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
well I can happily say my vibration is gone, no more.... one is a happy one...!!!!

my inner cv joint was fubar'd

this time I didn't buy it from my main dealer....
Audi's price was £478.00+VAT
I found a brand new driveshaft in Germany that was 50.24 EUROS delivered to my door. It even has a 3 year warranty.
If it only lasts me 10,000miles it's still a risk worth taking, and certainly worth the risk to see if it eliminated the problem.

Ok, it's bare metal and not painted as nice as a genuine one, do I care? nope.... as my vibration is gone.....

3 days it took to get here from Germany. Shame the cruise control stalk I ordered from a shop in the UK couldn't be as good. Excuse after excuse as to why it's not been delivered and i'm still waiting 12 days later... I'll see if opening a case on Ebay will stick a rocket up the cock wombles ass to actually deliver what I've paid for.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
well finally my cruise control module stalk thingy turned up today... cock womble made good... why do some make it hard work?

What was nice surprise was it was a face lift set of stalks...
my first thought was "oh bugger will they actually fit and work?"
i'm not going to document the "how to change..." as there are enough of them about but other than the airbag connector being bloody tight to refit it all assembled perfectly.
I modified my cowl to fit, such is my OCD nature I want a proper cowl so am now on the hunt for one of them....

all fitted like a glove...

Plugged the computer in and cleared all the codes, recalibrated the steering wheel sensor and did the Steering wheel module and Engine module coding to accept Cruise Control and all done...!!!!

That's another job ticked off the list

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
so with the new driveshaft ordered, delivered and fitted and the vibration now firmly consigned to history it came as a huge surprise to have a knock at the door last week and a courier stood there with another box.... questions from the OH as to what i'd bought now came a blank from me...

Dragged the box in and low and behold i'd been sent another driveshaft... so now my 51 Euro driveshaft was even cheaper as I'd got two for the price of one...
So if the new one fails, it has a 3 year warranty and I have another to replace it with whilst I send this one back (if it fails) for replacement...!!!

in other news, still none the wiser on this voice control.....

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
This might help, restricted:

There’s also comprehensive instructions on training and using the voice command system in the MMI manual that (hopefully) came with the car.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
BTW, I recommend you go through the voice training. It's accessible from the setup screen. It'll make you speak a series of numbers and words, so that it can optimize itself to your voice. Makes a huge difference in accuracy when you use voice commands while driving and road noise enters the cabin. I remain amazed at how accurate it is even with a lot of road noise and dealing with my accent. English is not my first language (I speak Australian), but I have zero issues with accuracy!

41 - 60 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.