Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Slow Burn 2.0

5K views 79 replies 10 participants last post by  m33v2 
#1 ·
life is a struggle.... and i just needed to step back from it and reset. The last year or so i just lost all my mojo for anything car and bike related.
I sold my previous S5 (although regretted it immediately but needs of my sanity for were far more important)
For those that remember this was my old S5
Slow Burn | Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum (a5oc.com)
I sold my motorbike and i just parked the A8 on the drive and forgot about it (still got the poor thing)... and all i did was focus on health and mental wellbeing and my family....
But as any self respecting petrolhead knows, there's still an itch, that desire to build and own a project....

So what have i gone and done....

gone and bought another S5....

she's a 2008, miles aren't bad at 120k and condition wise i'd describe her as honest....
Manual, 2G high, no heated seats (strange) and no cruise control
clutch and flywheel were done about 20k ago, no other idea on service history.
she's getting delivered next Wednesday and i feel a mojo coming back...

Things that are immediately apparent as a must be done...

1. get rid of the rear window tints, i'm not a drug dealer....
2. replace the black Audi rings front and back to the original chrome and put the front rings in the correct location as i think Stevie Wonder fitted this one.
3. remove the window trims (job for summer tbh) as these have been painted without being removed and can see the paint is flaking in a couple of spots.
4. keep my fingers crossed that the mirror caps are a wrapped and are still pristine underneath
5. sand the painted tint off the rear lights and polish them back to an OE level of red (i don't think they are aftermarket???)
6. sit and ponder why the centre console trim is black and doesn't match the trim on the doors.....!!!
7. find out what else is wrong with her....

the list will most certainly grow and no doubt i'll want to get her to a similar level of my previous S5.

and well we all like pics

she'll be pressed into service as a fun car for me and my daughter to go to meets and shows...

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you. i don't think the Black Edition was a spec available for the early S5's from the factory??? Although i hadn't considered that the window tint may be factory, i'll have to decipher the PR codes...

who's to say if you are a DD? do you stand on street corners late at night? or would that be a pimp? haha

#4 ·
nope the tints are not factory...

E0A: No special edition
7D3: CD changer
4UF: Driver and front passenger airbag with front passenger airbag deactivation
6XD: Exterior mirrors, power-adjustable/ heated
5SJ: Left exterior mirror, convex
6TS: Right exterior mirror, aspherical, large viewing field
1KE: Disk brakes in rear
J0Z: Battery 520 A (110 Ah)
1LJ: Disk brakes in front
1AS: Electronic stability control (ESC)
1BD: Suspension/shock absorption for special sports design
3FA: Without roof insert (standard roof)
5MZ: Decorative inserts, stainless steel - fabric
7X1: Park distance control
F0A: No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
8GV: Alternator 180 A
0G1: Gearshift lever
0YG: Weight range 7 installation control only, no requirement forecast
0JG: Weight category front axle weight range 7
T8T: 8-cylinder SI engine 4.2 l unit 079.A (aluminum)
3KA: Unsplit rear seat bench unsplit, split folding backrest
8BP: Bi-functional headlamp with gas discharge lamp
U1B: Instrument cluster with mph speedometer, clock, tachometer, and trip odometer
X2B: Equipment options subset for Great Britain
1N3: Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
2PD: Leather-wrapped multifunction sports steering wheel with "S" badge
8Q3: Automatic headlight range adjustment dynamic (self-adjusting while driving)
9Q4: Multi-function display/on-board computerwith check control
8Z5: Not hot country
D0A: 8-cylinder SI engine 4.2 l/260 kW V8 32VFSI, homogeneous base engine is T8T
7Q2: Navigation system with color screen
CZ3: Alloy wheels 8.5J x 19
7K0: Without direct tire pressure monitoring system
4X3: Side airbag in front, with curtain airbag
2K3: Reinforced bumpers
3L5: Power seat adjustment for both front seats
4KC: Side and rear windows in heat-insulatingglass
3Y0: Without roll-up sunshade
4K2: Radio remote controlled central locking "SZV"
5D7: Carrier frequency 868 MHz without panic button
1SA: Without additional front underbody guard
0GG: Emission standard EU4
Q4Q: Sports seats in front
4GQ: Windshield in heat-insulating glass

#5 ·
I checked my list - I have:
VW1 = Side windows tinted green, from B-pillar to rear window gray tinted safety glass
But they don't look green to me!

#7 ·
Every day forward is a good day..... talking of good days.... something black and sinister turned up today (my fault it was a day later)

is it greedy having 2 V8's now in today's climate? of course SWMBO is chewing my ear that we don't need 3 cars, my suggestion she walk and i get rid of her car met with an unhappy face......

quick VCDS scan revealed absolutely no issues, quick recoding of various modules to change things to how i like and then have a look around.
The day is that miserable wet small rain where everything feels manky and bleaugh so no going underneath.

Interior needs a proper going over

if any one remembers my last S5 i made that look new, i expect the same with this.

and then the best part

it's a petrol V8... missing the main cover sadly but no obvious issues, or faults. No idea what's happening in the coolant but i want a new bottle and fresh coolant in there asap...

can i order some sunshine please?

#9 ·
it’s personal preference, some people like them but I cannot stand blacked out rings or badges. To my you’re removing the identity of the Brand. But if other people want to do it then I’m ok with it.
As a basis to improve and restore and enjoy she was extremely good value…. many smiles per mile to come.

#10 ·
the black rings were bugging me so much that i've taken them off, i don't like the badgeless look either but it's preferred to the black rings lol.

apparently under all the dirt my S5 is black....

both badges had been stuck up with B&Qs finest bathroom sealant and were barely stuck on, so neither put up much resistance to coming off, why do people bodge things???
I'll order a rear badge from Audi, i have a chrome front grill in the parts stash somewhere but the aftermarket grill doesn't have the provision for attaching it.
Curious to know what others have done which doesn't involve black bathroom sealant???

#11 ·
So what have we learned today? the wheels are off balance, no biggie.
It was a nice surprise to see the wheels had been freshly refinished (poorly), the inside of the barrels haven't had any of the old weight glue removed and has just been blown over.... the outer faces look presentable but i'll redo them properly when i fit new (decent) tyres, currently got a mismatched set of ditchfinders....
This made me chuckle as the expert balancing stood out and probably accounts for the wobble, never ever seen double stack weights in over 30 years of vehicle ownership hahaha

the wipers wipe awfully.... this probably explains why? surely this is basic maintenance?

both are the same

and i even washed the S5 and the A4, despite it raining today.... was quite therapeutic washing them in the rain hahaha

i have to admit that 3 Audi's is too greedy, i need help... but in my defence only 2 are quattro...

#12 ·
Haha welcome back to the lovely (if neglected) S5 mate!!!

#14 ·
so onto today... the new v5 arrived and immediately transferred the nonsensical private plate off and got rid of.
Insurance updated etc.
Original registration reapplied which of could only mean one thing, time to buy some new number plates.
Any new car (new to me) i have bought i have always put brand new plates on, the car isn't mine until i have done this ritual...
It serves a number of functions
1, gets rid of old rubbish dealer plates (i'm doing free advertising for no one lol)
2, allows me to clean the years of laziness and abuse always found under any number plate
3, ensures the plates are fitted straight, how people get them on the wonk is beyond me...!!!

I'm neither bling or a chav and just prefer a standard script, stock background, standard font number plate.
To me it looks far cleaner. My only rebellious streak is i refuse to have the postcode and BS script on the plates... i know, i know i'm going straight to jail.....!!!!

Plates ordered and hopefully arrive in time for the weekend.

Evan had a comment from the OH that it looks far sleeker than the old S5, apparently she prefers them black... (i raised my eyebrows)

#15 ·
always a firm believer in singing the praises of good service.
I ordered my new number plates yesterday at just after noon and they arrived today at 0930, order on just a normal Royal Mail 2nd class service.

i have used the site before but they have always taken a couple of days (which is fine).

I got them from A1 Show Plates (no affiliation etc). Ordered with the sticky pads and all in less than £30 delivered.

#16 ·
always a firm believer in singing the praises of good service.
I ordered my new number plates yesterday at just after noon and they arrived today at 0930, order on just a normal Royal Mail 2nd class service.

i have used the site before but they have always taken a couple of days (which is fine).

I got them from A1 Show Plates (no affiliation etc). Ordered with the sticky pads and all in less than £30 delivered.
I love praising good service too.

Check out these plate holders as an alternative to sticky velco if you're inclined to remove your plates from time to time

Number plate holders/clips,push&lock,front or rear, for vehicle, caravan,trailer | eBay

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

#17 ·
in the grand scheme of things putting a new set of wiper blades on isn't exactly up there with fitting a new exhaust or supercharger (give me time haha) but the fact of putting something new on the S5 gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, which is what this car is all about for me.

old and crusty of the right and a set of new Bosch aeros in their place.
Weather has been bloody awful today, sporadic showers and hail. Thankfully i have a garage, which whilst not big enough to actually fit a car in, is a decent place for a man cave (the garage was perfect for the bike).
I kept looking at the rear lights and kept thinking that it's got to be a spray tint, so whipped one off and saw they were actually genuine Audi lamps, so time to hit them with a mop....

back to how they should be and no ricer tint...!!!
Once the A8 has gone then i can mess about with the S5 in her rightful place in front of the garage and can actually get the new plates on, weather has been too wet today to be crawling on the floor....

#18 ·
Finally a spare day and (semi)decent weather....
rip the old crappy number plates off to see what horrors lurked beneath. The front grill must have been relatively new as there wasn't much stickiness, a quick wipe with Acetone and all sorted.

the rear though, absolute pet peeve of mine is why does no one ever clean the old glue off? i counted 4 different lots....

10 minutes with a hairdryer and some Acetone and sorted...

new plates are all stuck on and straight...

i even found an old set of chrome Audi rings in my boxes of parts, so as there isn't a neat solution to mechanically fix them on (as it's an aftermarket grill) i've applied a structural plastic adhesive and fingers crossed after 24 hours they should be a permanent fixture (the cable ties are to hold in place, def not permanent haha).

I ordered over the weekend a new set of HelPerformance brake lines, as i don't like to trust flexi lines of an unknown age, so rather than put stock on i like to upgrade them. It also means i know the age of the brake fluid.
Titanium bleed nipples have also been ordered, why? because i have issues...!!!

i also scored a cracking deal on a set of LED rear lights as the crazing on these ones was bugging me.... hopefully they are as perfect as described.

#19 ·
todays a high and low sort of day....

the high, the first delivery of parts ordered over the weekend, not ground breaking or that thrilling being just a set of new brake nipple covers, but still yay.... parts...!!!

then the low, i again went to cheer myself up by getting some cleaning stuff from my local Halfrauds (i know, i know...). One bit being some Autosol, the last tube lasting 20odd years and always brought a decent shine to exhaust tips.
Mine being particularly unloved for the last decade...

the other side being equally bad.
Got set up and opened the new tube and firstly couldn't believe how watery it was, not paste like at all and secondly it was absolute garbage at doing what i remembered the product to work like. So it's been thrown back on the shelf and i went old school with wire wool, scotch pads and some Brasso for now... i will happily take recommendations to what's better on the market these days as i won't be using Autosol again...

and then it rained.....!!!

Seems very quiet on this forum these days, where did everyone go?

#21 ·
as rain is stopping all types of play today and i'm sat here pondering stuff. I was having a rummage through the cupboard and remembered i bought one of these...

info here Newest V54 FGTech Galletto 4 Master BDM-Tricore-OBD Function

i didn't buy it from there but it gives a good summary of what it can do...

i have a software file which gives the S5 a stage 1 remap...., got to be worth an attempt to screw up the ecu in an attempt to give a (very) little bump in bhp...!!!

#22 ·
Couple of small jobs ticked off this morning. An end of day phone call from my local Audi dealer said some parts were in. So once the little one was bundled off to nursery this morning saw me tootle off to go pick some stuff up.

They had a lovely looking R8 in the showroom, why do they give you strange looks when you lick the tailpipes?

Anyway.... what did we get?

The eagle eyed amongst you will see a new set of rear rings...

over the last couple of days i have been searching for the dimension for the rings placement on the lid. I found the factory workshop to be useless.... this was the page for the Sportback (my reasoning being that it should be in a similar position, as i couldn't find the Coupe)

the page shows no dimensions anywhere...!!!

So i thought i know, as i'm going into Audi i'll ask to speak with a Tech to see if i can get it off Erwin officially....

I showed the Tech the image, explaining that i know it says Sportback but that i brought the image as an example and that i want dimension "a" for a Coupe.... i clearly said that you should be able to find me the dimension in "Erwin" your Factory Repair Manual... he wanders off, comes back 10 minutes later with a print off for an A4 Avant off Etka and said Etka doesn't give dimensions... I thanked him for his efforts as you cannot argue with stupid....!!!

So a quick Google image search with the rear views of various A5/S5's scaled the images as i now had a reference size with the new rings and came to the conclusion that 25mm should suffice for dimension "a".....

Armed with some 25mm masking tape i applied a strip to the edge of the lid and measured about twelvty times to determine the panel centre....

and heated the panel up as the adhesive doesn't bond as well in the cold and stuck them on...

insert smiley...!!!

Call it poor materials or just one of those things but this S5 is my third B8 Coupe and all of them have been afflicted with the cord on the filler cap being broken...

simple job to replace and i'm sure in about 2 years time i'lll be replacing this new one as well....

coolant bottle can wait for a warmer day and less time constraints as apparently my daughter can't walk home on her own from nursery...

#23 ·
Another pet hate of mine is those stupid metal valve cap covers... of course the S5 came pre-adorned and vajazzled with the bloody things....

so i popped in to my local FastFuck centre to get 4 plastic flavoured items. They very kindly gave me 4 for free....
Changed the front 2 a breeze....

and the rears are welded tight to the valve stem... this is one of the reasons i loathe these infernal things. Always the simple jobs which escalate into a bigger issue.
The moral of the story kids is just don't vajazzle your valve stems... think of the poor next owner please...!!!

or if you really must adorn them then at the very least apply some molyslip (not copper grease grease) to the threads....

Off to boil the kettle to see if boiling water will shock it, or just to have a cup of coffee and sit pondering why...!!!

#24 ·
Mr Postman very kindly this morning delivered the loom to enable me to convert my halogen rear lights to pre-face lift LED's (the lights are due to be delivered this afternoon according to the tracker).... just need some decent weather....

the instructions say to cut the wire which is to be threaded through from inners to outers and then solder the joint. Don't like that idea so i've ordered the pin depinning tool and will see if i can do it properly....

#25 ·
i defy any true Petrolhead to not get a tinge of excitement knowing they've ordered parts and you see a courier rock up.....

sooooooooooo.... what's in da box..????

oooh shiny....

hmmm not quite

not to worry... SWMBO isn't home so a quick trip to the sink with the garage's finest TFR and a toothbrush later....

all 4 were treated the same.... and the backs all came up like new.

onto the front lenses and were all a bit hazy....

there were a couple of light scratches but thankfully nothing horrendous. They didn't need any wet sanding thank god and armed with the 3 Amigos below....

ended up with far better clarity

and a gratuitous group shot....

I'll do them again once fitted and all working (if the weather breaks???) but will be a hundred times better than currently fitted....

#26 ·

Still here from time to time but hardly have anything to comment on or anything to contribute.

Hope you are ok...mislaying your mojo is not good.

So......titanium nipples....surely those are a bit hard to chew on?????

Reactions: restricted
#27 ·

Still here from time to time but hardly have anything to comment on or anything to contribute.

Hope you are ok...mislaying your mojo is not good.

So......titanium nipples....surely those are a bit hard to chew on?????
i totally agree, compared to what the place was like with my previous S5 this time it's a ghost town lol
Life carries on and working on getting the mojo back, hence the build...
i wouldn't suggest chewing on Titanium nipples unless you had teeth like the baddie Jaws in the Bond films

#29 ·
with the weekend out of the way and family duties done of course today would be raining.....!!!!!!

anyway it being a simple job to fit the lights i thought i'd try them on for size, no wiring or recoding has been done yet.
What did we start with...
original halogen's

they can happily go in the bin... discovered that on the inner lights the brackets which secure the lamps into the boot lid are different between halogen and LED, well the outer one is, the inner is the same. SO armed with part number 8T0945183B and ordered 2of.

much better and no more hazy craziness or cracked lens....

once the brackets have arrived and it stops raining then it's a simple job to finish off but happy to tick that off the list...

#30 ·
noticed another thing to add to the list and now i've seen it it needs changing ASAP.

The front S5 badge is in the wrong spot.... if i'm being really picky i put my 4 rings a tad too high, but i think i can live with that

comparing to my old S5 front i drew a straight line across the bottom of the headlights and datumed the rings...

see where the s5 badge sits....

now the new S5, for a start they didn't even get the damn badge straight lol...

don't get too hung up comparing the 2 images as i didn't scale them to each other. The rings sit centrally to the height of the headlamps, so are only up be a couple of mm's...

but the S5 badge is way off....

#31 ·
it's been an illuminating sort of day today... lights have been finished and coded

and happy to report all coded as needed, with no errors...
whilst i had the laptop connected i also enable the battery meter as that wasn't showing.
Talking of batteries for peace of mind and again to have a starting point, a new battery has been ordered to replace the tired one currently fitted.
When starting it just doesn't inspire confidence, and i want peace of mind as SWMBO will be using the S5 when her A4 goes in for paint.

Coolant has been dropped and flushed out and the new bottle installed

and Mr Postman brought another parcel of joy in the shape of Hel's finest lines...

slowly slowly....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.