Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
want to see what a trailer hitch can do to an A5 at under 10km/h?

That hurt *SO* bad. the SUV in front of me decided to brake for no reason the second i looked to my left.

Right away, you can tell I need a new: grill, front bumper, right-side headlight, and front-right wing. the tube carrying the headlight washer fluid was punctured, so that needs replacing as well. the hood is intact. the right fog grill was fine.

Mechanically, thankfully, the car is perfect. I drove it to the dealership's shop.

Now, the wing may not seem that bad, but there are two parts harshly bent (not dented) by the headlight's movement, but more importantly that part is made of aluminum. you don't want many people, ESPECIALLY a dominican paint shop, handling any sort of aluminum car body part.

On the bright side, remember this is the only A5 in the country. Yes, that means there are *0* spare parts here, but the dealer's doing an awesome job ordering the parts ASAP. they even said they'd get me an S-line bumper and grill. Two weeks max (promised...hopefully) to fly the parts in. And they're the best paint shop I know of (yes, the dealer actually does very good paint jobs).

Also, I'm leaving on a trip next week for 3 weeks, which means I should have the car back by then, barring any unforseen circumstances.

I feel terrible I let this happen, but I at least have something to look forward to now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's painful to look at. I don't know how it works in the Dominican Republic, but is there some sort of insurance that would cover that?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, insurance can decide to cover that. i haven't talked with them yet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
crespo, that is so unfortunate. THe good news is you will not lose too much time in your car.

One question, do you know what the one sensor hanging down off the bumper is? I see it and wonder if it is the wiper sensor or what.

Good luck with the insurance.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
crespo, I'm very sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident. Wow, what a major bummer. I know what you mean when you say that hurt *SO* bad. :( Hopefully all will be back to normal when you return from your trip.

One question, do you know what the one sensor hanging down off the bumper is? I see it and wonder if it is the wiper sensor or what.
Upstate, I think that's the tow hook cover.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Ooooh Crespo you seem alot calmer than I'd be in that situation. Every cloud has a silver lining though so if you gain a S line bumper and grille it'll have almost been worth the agro.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I feel terrible I let this happen, but I at least have something to look forward to now.
'
:eek:

The thing you have to look forward to most in the future is the SUV in front!!! :p

Seriously though, so sorry about your 'oops' but glad also it wasn't worse and you weren't hurt... apart from sustainind a medium-sized dent in the wallet.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that's the tow hook cover.

Thanks, guys. I was quite angry at first. Then I thought about it, calmed down a bit. Getting a new bumper out of it (I had JUST scratched the bottom on this one), and the trip will distract me from it. Pictures upon arrival :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I feel for you bro. You havent had the car for long either.

I had a could have been in a similar situation where i was driving along nicely when the car infront just decided to let a pedestrian cross the road. Now if the pedestrian was at a zebra crossing or a set of traffic lights i would understand, however this was just in the middle of a busy road during rush hour.

I hit the brakes heavy and thank god the s5 was so responsive. Now a days, you need to watch other peoples driving more than you need to watch yours.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Ouch! Well, this happens my friend......just don't get too upset.:)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
this is moving along quite well.

the appraiser dropped by the shop yesterday to see the car, took pics, will have decision by today. the dealer already confirmed they know they're ordering all the correct parts: s-line bumper, s-line grill, passenger side e-code headlamp, passenger-side front wing, and headlamp washer fluid hose.

this is everything i had mentioned in the first post, and upon their inspection is indeed all that is needed to order. order for parts should be going out within the week, parts will be flown in (which i am promised takes exactly two weeks from placing the order, barring unforeseen circumstances), and painted/installed no longer than a week after.

it's a good thing the radiator is set so deep behind the grill, like a foot deep. that could have been ugly.

good stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts