Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question, again I've searched and couldn't find anything except the thread which turned into a fight because some bloke made his A5 look like and S5!

Basically I've gone for the Sport over the S-line due to the preference of wheel options and interior options. However I did like the exterior body kit on the S-line, basically the side skirts. Can anyone recommend somewhere I could get it done, how to get the parts and how much its likely to cost all in, in same colour as my car? I had assumed you could just pay the dealer to do it, but when I ordered I was told they couldn't fit these themselves after market.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
He answers your usual question in his post - he likes them. And 'completely dead money'? Isn't most capital expenditure? The returns are not always fiscal but often in the form of the pleasure derived from having things one enjoys.

I'm not sure you grasp this concept RG? Nor the one of not necessarily presenting your well-worn standpoint time and time again whenever someone posts on modification or personalisation?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
He answers your usual question in his post - he likes them. And 'completely dead money'? Isn't most capital expenditure? The returns are not always fiscal but often in the form of the pleasure derived from having things one enjoys.

I'm not sure you grasp this concept RG? Nor the one of not necessarily presenting your well-worn standpoint time and time again whenever someone posts on modification or personalisation?
Are you stalking me again Mr E. I make the point because often folks expect to see some of their hard earned money back when they sell. In this case it is lost money and you can't see it when your driving. Agree returns are often visual... I just ask why bother.. a perfectly valid view IMHO..:music-smiley-019:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
"Why bother" seems like a silly question to me and gets very tiring to read over and over again, RG. If one chooses to spend their OWN money for mods on their OWN car (not yours), then just let it be.

Back when I had my A5 and wanted Cinnamon Brown interior over the S-line package (which has black interior only), I chose to install the S-line rear bumper cover and diffuser after the fact. Sure, you might consider that "dead money" for the parts, painting, and labor costs. But, I was fully aware that I may not recoup those costs when it came time to sell the car. Did I care? No. Why? Because I can easily afford it and it's MY money to spend as I see fit.

Do I want you or anyone else telling me that I may not get my money back when it comes time to sell? No! I really don't care to have others telling me how I should be spending MY own money. And I think it's quite evident by now that plenty of others on this forum don't care to be advised (unless specifically asking) on how they should be spending their money or what kind of mods they should or should not be doing to their car.

You mentioned: "and you can't see it when you're driving". So what?!!? I can't "see" 100% of the mods that I've done to my S5 while I'm driving. Yet, I have zero regrets about the amount of money I've spent on my cars's mods. I actually enjoy the car much more than I did when I first got it, due to all the mods I've done. Mods may not be your thing, and that's fine.

It would be most appreciated if you could somehow allow yourself to refrain from making people on this forum feel like they need to justify the mods they want to do to their car. It really gets under my skin when I continually read comments like this. Sure, you may consider your statements a valid point of view. But, like I said, people on here do not want to feel like they need to justify their mods to anyone else. Please try to keep this in mind. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Sorry if my views are getting to you TX, I thought my response #4 had clarified things. I was at my dealer this morning and we were talking about the current market. It seems many people spend a shed load of hard earned money on mods/extra thinking that they will get some of it back when they sell. In the UK on A5 and S5 the only 2 'extras which (I am told) are expected to achieve book price at resale on V8 and V6 A5/S5 are Sat NAve and B&O . No Sat Nav will mark down price by £1500+. Many options including most I have are absolutely worthless come re-sale. In the UK non-standard additions of body parts can actually reduce the value of a vehicle. Hence my comments. I appreciate that things are different in the US but having had PM's from bealios felt it was absolutely appropriate to ask him why he wanted to add side skirts to an A5.

Of course (fortunately) we live in a free world where we are able to have views and spend our money as we see fit. My comments are as always designed to be objective and hopefully allow people to reflect on their propositions.

Bealios asked where he could get mods done and cost and (As always) I have helpfully advised him, suggesting he thinks about the merits is surely also trying to be helpful, if you or others see this differently I apologise. Cheers RG... just going to fit my latest mod to my A5 (seriously!)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
:moped::music-smiley-019::no:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hi Bealios,

you may have given up on this thread in disgust at seeing it trashed by one of our number - my apologies on behalf of the more constructive contributors; it's a bit of an issue at the moment I'm afraid and I hope it's soon resolved. At least Andrew's new emoticons seem to be keeping the less sophisticated members happy, so let's be grateful for small mercies.

Your post bought to mind a previous discussion around the retro-fitting of the skirts and I located the thread below - I think you may find some of the data relevant to what you wish to do?

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/retro-fitting-exterior-3346/index.html?t=3346&highlight=side+skirts

I fully understand why you'd wish to do what you're thinking about - in fact, as far back as 1989, I purchased CDX side-skirts for my Vauxhall Carlton 2.0i GL - and it improved the looks no end! Couldn't see them from inside the car unfortunately, and didn't exactly see areturn on my investment - bearing in mind it was a company car! - but I enjoyed how the car looked with its modification.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My comments are as always designed to be objective and hopefully allow people to reflect on their propositions.
Have you reflected on yours??

Please, answers below?

:)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Another question, again I've searched and couldn't find anything except the thread which turned into a fight because some bloke made his A5 look like and S5!

Basically I've gone for the Sport over the S-line due to the preference of wheel options and interior options. However I did like the exterior body kit on the S-line, basically the side skirts. Can anyone recommend somewhere I could get it done, how to get the parts and how much its likely to cost all in, in same colour as my car? I had assumed you could just pay the dealer to do it, but when I ordered I was told they couldn't fit these themselves after market.

Hi Bealios, on a constructive note also...

I'm a little surprised that the dealer said they couldn't fit aftermarket... I think you should read 'wouldn't' in there. I'm sure I recall several people on here fitting these... see this thread if you didn'r already:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthre...-1851/index.html?t=1851&highlight=stone+guard

There's pricing and a couple of people who have done this... ABZY and GOLFDEEKO. you could try sending them a PM, but TBH I haven't seen either on the forum for some time now.

Cheers, Ian.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Have you reflected on yours??

Please, answers below?

:)
I have indeed Scouse, my comments were intended to be constructive. I have no problems with people spending their money on their car. My comments were more of a health warning which seem to have antagonised people unneccessarily. It's only a blog for goodness sake. If one of our community is suggesting the blog is 'trashed' by providing details as requested by belios and providing a financial health warning I think they have a bizarre misunderstanding of the blogs! :no:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
(Apologies Bealios, final attempt to drum things home for our friend here and hopefully Ian's links will give you some further insight)

RG, my point, very clear and very obvious to the majority, is that this is a classic example of a thread ending up being dominated by exchanges between you, other users whom you've succeeded again in offending (or simply irritating), and now moderators admonishing you for your clumsy and selfish behaviour.

Poor Bealios was only looking for advice, and look what you've done. Even your 'advice' in this instance is elementary, condescending and potentially insulting - as TX has tried to make clear, we don't need advice you're not qualified to make on where we should spend our money and whether we should expect to see a return.

I hope that you're finally getting the picture? It's really not a difficult lesson but one that I desperately (but rather forlornly) hope you learn soon before the quality of this fine Forum is diminished further.

·
Registered
337 Posts
(Apologies Bealios, final attempt to drum things home for our friend here and hopefully Ian's links will give you some further insight)

RG, my point, very clear and very obvious to the majority, is that this is a classic example of a thread ending up being dominated by exchanges between you, other users whom you've succeeded again in offending (or simply irritating), and now moderators admonishing you for your clumsy and selfish behaviour.

Poor Bealios was only looking for advice, and look what you've done. Even your 'advice' in this instance is elementary, condescending and potentially insulting - as TX has tried to make clear, we don't need advice you're not qualified to make on where we should spend our money and whether we should expect to see a return.

I hope that you're finally getting the picture? It's really not a difficult lesson but one that I desperately (but rather forlornly) hope you learn soon before the quality of this fine Forum is diminished further.
+1

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
my comments were intended to be constructive. I have no problems with people spending their money on their car.

My comments were more of a health warning which seem to have antagonised people unneccessarily. It's only a blog for goodness sake. :no:
I feel like I am being bullied.

I have no intention of upsetting anyone. Just passing on views my dealer expressed yesterday (which I share) about the lack of value at resale time of some add ons.

Please try to put into perspective folks.

I gave what I thought was good advice about where to buy side skirts (NOT 'elementary, condescending and potentially insulting' as quoted) In fact Stafford Audi have some for sale!

FYI I posted the first positive response seeking to help Belios which Mr E jumped on within minutes of my posting (it was intended to be helpful especially as I had been PM'd by Belios earlier!.)

May I also suggest that personal comments should not be made on Blogs, PM if you must but no need to stir people up.

Let's move on ...:yikes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm told they are about £500 or so fitted and painted . Check on EBAy there were some for sale a while back. BUT my usual question... why bother? It's completely dead money.

Stafford Audi £290 + fit + paint

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A5-Genui...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
So, you've crapped on another thread and now your asking people to please make it a private affair? If you were really trying to give good advice, you wouldn't have stopped at "why bother? It's completely dead money." In fact, I don't see how those exact words are saying what you are claiming you meant in the response below. Seems like you had to explain yourself to complete the thought. Then again, why are you telling people your opinion about modding in a Performance and Mod section again? Would you please just start a thread entitled "Reasons that I think mods are stupid" and then get on with your life. This way you won't feel compelled to crap on every single thread on this forum that attempts to discuss a mod and your stinky opinion will be out there for all the world to see.

Are you stalking me again Mr E. I make the point because often folks expect to see some of their hard earned money back when they sell. In this case it is lost money and you can't see it when your driving. Agree returns are often visual... I just ask why bother.. a perfectly valid view IMHO..:music-smiley-019:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I gave a valid suggestion of where you can buy side skirts in the UK if you want to.

I have no intention of as you so eloquently put it 'crapping on another thread'.

For the avoidance of doubt I think the Sline side skirts look great particularly on an S Line or S5.

They may look OK on other models but I questioned the appropriateness of spending money on this for what may be seen as minimal benefit when there is no return. That is all.

I have modded many cars in over 30 years of motoring but aesthetic mods in the UK rarely see any return and often devalue the vehicle hence my health warning to belios.

Close...

·
Registered
273 Posts
People dont mod their cars expecting a return, they do it for the pleasure it gives them and the admiring glances of others... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
People dont mod their cars expecting a return, they do it for the pleasure it gives them and the admiring glances of (some)others... :thumbsup:
I have no probs with that whatsoever... long may it continue in peace and harmony.:cheers:

Are you going for the A5 Cab? The A4 B7 V6 was great!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.