Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should I collect my S5 or have them deliver?

I need help!!! I can't decide whether to collect my S5 from the dealership next week or have them deliver it to my house. :confused:

The trouble is that whilst looking for the best deal, I ended up purchasing from Carlisle Audi and I live 2.5 to 3 hours drive away....

I have already sold my old car, so if I collect would need to take a whole day off work, hop on a train for about three hours, see the car in pristine condition with about 2 miles on the clock in the showroom, complete the paperwork and hand-over and then have the most glorious 200 mile, 3 hour journey home grinning all the way.

If I get them to deliver, they will drive it here (lorry delivery not available). It will take half an hour to do the paperwork & handover and then I have my car, no hassle. However. Someone else will have driven the first 200 miles and it will arrive covered in half of Englands crap from the roads.

What would you do??? Help Please!!! :confused: :confused:

Thanks, Ian.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So next week it is.
I would certainly collect it myself. No way would I want a driver to rev the balls off my new pride and joy enjoying himself at your expense. With the torque of that engine its also very easy to chew the clutch rather than be gentle with the transmission.
You have waited for this day for months so make the most of it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
COLLECT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

make sure u get a free cup of coffee when you are there. push the salesman for a free audi metal tax disc holder and keyring too (makes the train money back)

·
Registered
43 Posts
From the other side of the fence, it is very easy as a Salesman to let someone else do the donkey work. Give the driver the keys, wave him off, and ask you by phone if you are happy.

However, I prefer not to do that. 1) If you have an issue, then I can probably deal with it at the showroom.
2) Another chance to gain a relationship point.
3) Chance to explain any additional spec you ordered, so that you know how to use it.

I am not saying I want to spend 3 hours with you, but if you have spent £40k+ with me, then I want you to come back again next time. So giving you all my time is worth it, I once did a 5 hour handover on a Focus to a very old couple. Got it ripped out of me by colleagues, but when both their sons bought cars later in the year, I was the one laughing.

Go and collect it, and enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was having exactly the same dilemma this week.

The dealership isn't as far away as yours (only about 80 miles) but I've opted to get a taxi (I've already sold my old car too) and collect it in person - TOMORROW!! No sleep for me tonight then :D

Go collect it!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to admit Matt... I do enjoy the handover... it's a little red-carpet treatment and I do love the fact that most dealers put the car in their showroom (handover area) so you drive it out of the big glass doors absolutely spanking new...

I did spend £40k on it, I suppose I ought to make the most of it!

...I'm mostly convinced!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was having exactly the same dilemma this week.

The dealership isn't as far away as yours (only about 80 miles) but I've opted to get a taxi (I've already sold my old car too) and collect it in person - TOMORROW!! No sleep for me tonight then :D

Go collect it!
Congrats on the new car for tomorrow. Looks like you guys are being pretty persuasive!

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is a no-brainer if you can handle the day of work off. Go get it, enjoy the experience, and eliminate some break-in miles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Collect the car first off you can inspect the car. Second what a better way to break it in. Third I wouldn't be too keen on some guy I don't know driving my car 2 plus hrs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would do the collection too, if they have to drive it to you, as opposed to delievering it on a transporter. I understand that mine, which is also coming from the north of England, is to be transported. If not, I shall collect it. I would much rather that I get it covered in "Englands crap on the roads" than somebody whose motivation is to get to me and back home a.s.a.p in my new pride and joy.

By way of an aside, when I took delivery of a Merc CLK some years back, the driver has the ability to reset the milometer once, providing the mileage has not gone past 200. So, even though it has been driven to you, you start from mile one as far as the gauge is concerned. That may seem sad, but I think it is important with a new car. And it eases the pain of not getting it brand spanking new.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's unanimous!

Okay, Okay!

I hear ya! ;)

.... I guess I'm going to collect it then! :D

Thanks everyone for your input. I don't know what I was thinking, letting them drive it to me!!

Date not quite finalised yet, but expected next Thu/Fri.

Ian.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2 cents...

Just in case you didn't get the idea... Collect it

Congrats
:D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I think that the verdict is pretty clear! This was a timely thread as I had confirmation last week that my car will be at the dealer this Weds 16th, and (following the Tracker installation) available for 'delivery' on 21st. The car's being supplied through a leasing company, hence I haven't yet dealt with the dealer directly (although they're only about 30 miles away from my home) and she wrote:
"Also, they are planning to have the car driven to you as its under 50 miles to your home or business address , I have said that I was unsure if you would be happy with this and mentioned that you may prefer to collect it. They have stated that their preference is to deliver but it could be possible to organise collection . You will need to speak to me to arrange this."
Originally, (ignoring the bit about 'their preference' and 'could be possible' - I mean, who's the customer here?), I'd kind of thought "Hey, no problem, stay at home (will in fact be the 23rd as I'm in the City on 21st & 22nd), wait for it to arrive" (like a little kid waiting for Santa). However, having read the posts and the overwhelming opinions in favour of collection, I've now changed my mind, will take the 23rd off, aim to be at the dealer about 10:30 for the handover and have the rest of the day just the two of us.....

Gonna be a long week-and-a-half......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.