Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone looking to see what you all think of the S5? I’ve a 2007 VW golf R32 with 94000 miles & ive been thinking about changing to a 2010 S5??
Am I wise?? Thanks Craig

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey everyone looking to see what you all think of the S5? I’ve a 2007 VW golf R32 with 94000 miles & ive been thinking about changing to a 2010 S5??
Am I wise?? Thanks Craig
I’d do it, no questions asked. Has the S5 got a good service history? Lower miles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
41000 miles & yes by the looks of it there is a good history. I’ve asked them to do the gearbox oil & filter & they said they will.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Check condition of disks and pads as they are quite a costly item. The S5 will be a far bigger car than you are used to with the R32 but the Coupe is absolutely gorgeous both in outside styling and interior fit/finish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for getting back to me. It’s the convertible, they are servicing it & putting new rear pads on it & there’s new tyres on it as they refurbed the wheels & replaced all 4 tyres. Discs seem ok but will probably need changed at some point soon knowing my luck but I’d say at the minute they are ok.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Am I wise?? Thanks Craig
The V6 supercharged is an immense motor!!!

Had mine 3 years and still love driving it - easy to up the ponies too, without spending too many...ponies! Lol

One of your main areas to check will be the DL501 gearbox - check that the service has been done ON TIME!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Does it have the 0B5 DL501 s-tronic gearbox? If so do some research yourself. There have been issues with the early ones and so you should only buy a 2010 model if you are aware of them. Plenty of info to read on Audizine.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
In my opinion you are really looking at 2 very different cars. The Golf is a wonderful car, the A5 or S5 is much bigger and heavier and also great BUT a very different animal. Think hard mate, what you want......

·
Registered
118 Posts
I see them at the auctions from 170k km's with no problems looking at pictures. Inspect the car and it has little problems and no fault codes other than ignoble ones ( But you cant drive them) . A 2009 S4 had a failed clutch at 217,000km's (put it in gear and it slammed and the motor stopped).
I am guessing you will start to see clutch problems from 170,000km's. The other problems in the S-Tronic can be cleared up without a transmission out job. I suspect they are at the auctions instead of a car sales lot (where it come from) because of the existing problems they do not wont to be liable for.

To sum up - the higher Km S-Tonics get an Audi indy to take it for a good ole drive, get it nice and hot.
Fantastic car but high mileage transmission S-Tronics will have a surprise coming, it all comes down to the deal you get.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Right mate but he is talking about a car with 40k miles/60k kms so a very young lady indeed!! In my opinion GO FOR IT!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Great choice! I was thinking about the convertible S5 before getting mine, but the slightly less boot space and slightly heavier kerb weight led me to choose the coupe, but I still think about the cab! :)

The R32 makes a more V6 warble than the 3.0 Audi V6. They are a nice car, but very understated in looks, but some might say the S5 is too. :)

As Dippy mentioned the first Gen DSG boxes had issues, but fixable with some upgrades. (y)

It's low miles so sounds like a good example! Splash a little cash on it and get 450bhp very easily! :D

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
So Churchie are you still missing the Golf?? I had an almost new GTI many years ago with Recaro interior which I loved, BUT she was stolen after only a few months so I er decided not to go Golf again, shame cos they are a great car....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts