Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! :)

I have been visiting this site for a while and decided to ask you whether the S5 worths the money. I'm 20 years old and for 2 years i got a BMW 325i (E90) newest model with automatic transmisson. I love the way the S5 looks but it is with manual gearbox. The thing i want to know is - will I like the S5? Is it a pleasure to drive? I want to hear some owners' opinion. Soon there is an Expo-Auto show in Bulgaria and I will go and see all new car models but I really wanna know what the people who have driven the S5 will say.

Thank you all!

G

·
Hi all! :)

I have been visiting this site for a while and decided to ask you whether the S5 worths the money. I'm 20 years old and for 2 years i got a BMW 325i (E90) newest model with automatic transmisson. I love the way the S5 looks but it is with manual gearbox. The thing i want to know is - will I like the S5? Is it a pleasure to drive? I want to hear some owners' opinion. Soon there is an Expo-Auto show in Bulgaria and I will go and see all new car models but I really wanna know what the people who have driven the S5 will say.

Thank you all!
Do a search on here. Plenty of owners have already written their thoughts on the car.
20 years old, on a 4.2 V8 - wouldn't want your insurance bill :eek:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Bulgaria it doesnt matter how old you are :) The insurance depends on the car and not the years :) usually the insurance here is 5-7%.
ELSTIMPO i checked ur pictures of your car - which looks unbelievebly cool and wanna ask you - what do u prefer - Automatic or Manual - is your other car automatic? Is it fun to drive manual? :)
thx in advance

G

·
In Bulgaria it doesnt matter how old you are The insurance depends on the car and not the years usually the insurance here is 5-7%.
ELSTIMPO i checked ur pictures of your car - which looks unbelievebly cool and wanna ask you - what do u prefer - Automatic or Manual - is your other car automatic? Is it fun to drive manual? :)
thx in advance
I own some ski apartments in Bansko - good place. Always lots of flash cars driving around there. I saw the new Merc CL AMG in Bansko before anywhere else. Love that car.

I used to have an SMG M3 and a Ferrari 360 F1. So both on paddles and loved it. I really liked the way i could keep both hands on the steering wheel and concentrate with my driving lines etc. It's also a lot more easy to change up and down at speed with the paddles. Not to mention the noise from the Ferrari as you blip down the gears :cool:

However since having the S5, i realised i missed having a manual and feeling much more involved with driving the car.

So, the answer for me is. Manual for my S5 and F1 for the Ferrari is the perfect combo:D

Sorry that doesn't help much:rolleyes:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) :) Actually "Manual for my S5" sounds nice :) a person who had 2 cars with Auto and says something like that helps ;) do u like the acceleration of the S5? How does it feel?

·
Registered
50 Posts
:) Actually "Manual for my S5" sounds nice :) a person who had 2 cars with Auto and says something like that helps ;) do u like the acceleration of the S5? How does it feel?
If you compare driving an S5 to driving the car you have now, you'll be AMAZED at how fast it is and how fun it is to drive it. It will be like day and night.

I drove an e46 with an automatic before the S5, and i had doubts about getting a manual too. So you can say i was in a very similar position to yours. Now i can say that i actually quite like driving a manual. It's much more fun than an automatic! You get that feeling of control you'll never get in an automatic car - you'll understand what i mean after you drive the car for a while ;)

Besides, don't forget, it's a 4.2L V8. Sometimes there is absolutely no need to switch gears. At low speeds, you can stay in almost any gear.

Choose an S5 and you won't regret it!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx alot S5_050 :)
on 29th of Sept. there is a testdrive of the S5 and will decide then :) this what you said is encouraging.
After i take the decision i will have to post more threads about the colour combo ;) because i wanna make it unique.
S5_050 can you give me some pictures of your car from the interior - is the Speedomer - white?
thx again!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What colour u have in the interior - i love it :).
What do u think about Sprintblue exterior colour with your interior colour? :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got pearl silver interior (in fact it's white). It would go well with sprint blue, but i don't think the blue suits the car well. It would probably be nicer if it was a little bit darker. But it's only my opinion, i don't want to influence your choice in any way.

If I was speccing up my car, I would have probably chosen white - looks sharp! :) But I didn't want to wait that long, so I bought a ready car and I'm happy with black - it suits the car very well.

So my opinion is, the best colours for S5 are: white, black... and maybe red..

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come on guys. Need more opinions!!! ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think the red with silver leather would be stunning but i bottled it and went for black leather. The red shows up the chrome touches on the car well however I have still to see a red s5 in the flesh so I hope I made the right choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
awpdisaster - I was also struggling with the manual / auto question. My last 2cars have been auto and am coming out of a BMW X5 4.8i which has been a pleasure but I just don't need the space! The fact is I agree with S5 050, it's so much more fun driving a manual car and vastly more involving.

Colour combination for me is phantom black with black leather. Will posts pics when I pick it up - which is later today!!! I'd buy the S5 without hesitation - it's a great car.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thx Jamesp. I will probably order the car but will test it 1st on the 29th of sept.
btw guy how many months u w8ed for your car? 3-4 ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
thx Jamesp. I will probably order the car but will test it 1st on the 29th of sept.
btw guy how many months u w8ed for your car? 3-4 ?
I jumped the queue by buying a demonstrator, they had it at the dealer's as I wanted it so have really only had to wait a week or so :D
I enquired about ordering but the best they could do was the end of January / beginning of Feb 2008. I'm afraid I just couldn't wait that long!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can some1 plz say some opinions about the handling of the S5? Is it a cool car to drive?

(sorry for asking so much but i cant w8 until 29th of Sept. for the testdrive and really wanna know everything about the car) :p

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Can some1 plz say some opinions about the handling of the S5? Is it a cool car to drive?
Handling is good, ride is a little harsh for a GT but I am comparing it to my Jag S-type so anything is harsh after that.

Is it cool? Well people can hear you coming, they can see you coming (with the daytime running lights) and there are hardly any on the road. I was getting stares from loads of people. If you measure cool on that basis, then yes its cool. Most of all though, I found it fun to drive and cannot wait for delivery.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:) the way u explained how it feels to drive the car is great! which makes me consider to get 1 ! :) thx again!

G

·

(sorry for asking so much but i cant w8 until 29th of Sept. for the testdrive and really wanna know everything about the car) :p
Had my first proper drive in the S5 today in the Yorkshire dales and really gave it some stick on some great roads.

Last time i did this was in my M3. Which was a really fun car. Turn off the traction control and really give it some and it was a joy. Its wasn't perfect, but thats why it was so much fun, you could actually drive it. Some will say that it was tail happy and the back came round too much, well thats comments from people who really cant drive and were not able to control the car. Once you got used to the M3, learnt about its capabilities, it was awsome.
The S5 is very different. The grip you get is amazing and the car sticks to the road. This is where those who claim the M3 was tail happy will stick their nose and claim the S5 to be boring because of the amount of grip:confused:

The handling is spot on, the car is very responsive and if your not the greatest driver in the world, its the perfect car to try things you may have been nervous about in other cars as the S5 is very forgiving. Make a mistake in the M3 and your in a hedge, in the S5 it'll let you off. But its far from boring. Its just different.

If you want to go on a track, or have a blast through some country roads and really want to be tested as a driver - I'd take my old M3 for everything else, the S5 is in a different league.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts