Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

The car is 2010 1.8 Tfsi (160 hp) petrol, and I would like to switch to Shell branded oil.

Vw504 507, 5w30 oil is the recommended oil for my car. And, 5w30 Fully synthetic oil has been used on this car since new.

However Shell C3 5w30 oil does not have VW 504 507 approval..

Only Shell C2/C3 0w30 has the VW504 507 approval. But I need 5w30.

So would you still buy the Shell C3 5w30 without the VW504 507 approvals?

I have to make a decision as soon as possible.

Look forward to seeing your opinions.

Please do not suggest Castrol/Mobil/Liqui etc...No petrol station sell them at the place that I live, and I can never be sure of authenticity of these oils unless I buy it from petrol station at the country that I live. That is why Shell is my safest option.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Get the 0W 30 as the first number is the viscosity of the oil when cold and the lower the number, the better in modern engines. The days of 20W40 are gone and left to lawnmower engines.

It will show in your handbook that 0W30 is ok for your car. It will show it on a graph with arrows going across the ambient climate temperatures. :)

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Well said Dave the Man!! Great information. Ps Moonlight you can purchase online maybe, just a thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Get the 0W 30 as the first number is the viscosity of the oil when cold and the lower the number, the better in modern engines. The days of 20W40 are gone and left to lawnmower engines.

It will show in your handbook that 0W30 is ok for your car. It will show it on a graph with arrows going across the ambient climate temperatures. :)
I hesitate to try 0w30 because my car already consumes some oil.

By the way Shell C3 5w30 has BMW LL04 approval. Wouldnt that approval replace the Vw507 ? The current oil inside the engine is Mobil Esp Formula 5w30 C3 oil anyway...

The handbook doesnt say anything about the viscocity. It suggests VW 504 for long time service and for control check VW502 and VW504 for petrol engines.
And Vw507 for diesel.

That is all info I have.

The sticker under the hood recommends Vw507 Castol 5w30.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Oil consumption won't be due to the first number. To try and prevent oil consumption, you will need to raise the 2nd number eg 5W 40. The first number only has an affect when the engine is cold, so after 10 minutes and fully warm, this number is irrelevant and you look at the 2nd number.

I have heard some use 5W 40 to try and stop oil consumption, but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

The 2nd number, when higher will protect performance engines that are running at high speed and high temperatures of the oil. The older BMW MTEC engines used to require 10W 50 as when the oil got hot, it was too thin for the VANOS (Variable cams hydraulic pressure) to work properly.

The recommendation stickers are just the collaboration or payments between the manufacturer and the oil maker. They used to have Mobil 1 stickers.

I would get the oil that has the VW number on it that you want regardless of whether it says 0W or 5W.

Just to confuse you more, if you have oil consumption, then try a 0 or 5W 40 weight oil, BUT, the higher the 2nd number will increase your fuel consumption, only a bit ;)

Some engines now use 0W 20 for fuel consumption purposes, but probably wouldn't be recommended for high performance engines.

As you normally only change the oil at least once a year, just get it online if you don't have any motor factors close to you? Or is your oil consumption that much, that it's like running a 2 stroke engine?

Try Opie oils or Car parts 4 less will deliver to your door? :)

Honestly, done't worry about the 0 or 5W number as the lower the number the better when cold starts. 0W will be recommended in cold climates like Alaska. :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Sorry just seen you are not in the UK! Are you in Turkey?

In that case online may be you only option. I don't know what car parts companies you have. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oil consumption won't be due to the first number. To try and prevent oil consumption, you will need to raise the 2nd number eg 5W 40. The first number only has an affect when the engine is cold, so after 10 minutes and fully warm, this number is irrelevant and you look at the 2nd number.

I have heard some use 5W 40 to try and stop oil consumption, but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

The 2nd number, when higher will protect performance engines that are running at high speed and high temperatures of the oil. The older BMW MTEC engines used to require 10W 50 as when the oil got hot, it was too thin for the VANOS (Variable cams hydraulic pressure) to work properly.

The recommendation stickers are just the collaboration or payments between the manufacturer and the oil maker. They used to have Mobil 1 stickers.

I would get the oil that has the VW number on it that you want regardless of whether it says 0W or 5W.

Just to confuse you more, if you have oil consumption, then try a 0 or 5W 40 weight oil, BUT, the higher the 2nd number will increase your fuel consumption, only a bit ;)

Some engines now use 0W 20 for fuel consumption purposes, but probably wouldn't be recommended for high performance engines.

As you normally only change the oil at least once a year, just get it online if you don't have any motor factors close to you? Or is your oil consumption that much, that it's like running a 2 stroke engine?

Try Opie oils or Car parts 4 less will deliver to your door? :)

Honestly, done't worry about the 0 or 5W number as the lower the number the better when cold starts. 0W will be recommended in cold climates like Alaska. :)
Thank you very much for the detailed info.

As Shell would be a more expensive choice and with a different viscosity, I ordered Liqui Moly 4200 5w30 with the vw504 507 approvals online directly from the distributor. Upon the arrival of the oil I immediately took several pictures of the canister and shared the pictures and the batch code with Liqui Moly Global to see if it was authenctic. Thought of ordering the 4 lt bottle from them and 1 lt bottle from different distributor and comparing the oils even but I didnt go that far as it was cheaper to get the 5L canister instead. Then got the filter from Audi Dealership. So at least I am sure that I will be watching the oil consumption with genuine products....

If the oil consumption will not go down I will listen to your advice and switch the oil to 0w40 or 5w40...

But the problem is that 0w40 and 5w40 oils will not have vw504 507 approvals... Is that right? Which brands of oils have those approvals at 0w40 or 5w40?

My handbook is recommending VW504 for Long Life Service, and VW502 for Control Service.

I do not know what is the difference between long life and control services? Can I use a 0w40 instead of 5w30 as long as it also has the VW502 in this case?

By the way what is motor factors? Are they shops like sell accessories and engine oil ? If so I would never ever trust to any of them at buying oil. Buying oil from shops will be taking risk to get a fake oil inside a genuine or like genuine canister..I either buy oil online directly from distributor or from a petrol station which is operated by the petrol company even and not a third party person.

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
A motor factor is indeed a shop selling spare parts, tools and oils to the public, in Europe these shops are generally quite reputable and do not sell false stuff. Surely on EBay or Amazon you can order stuff from trusted vendors (see the feedback) I guess......Good luck!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A motor factor is indeed a shop selling spare parts, tools and oils to the public, in Europe these shops are generally quite reputable and do not sell false stuff. Surely on EBay or Amazon you can order stuff from trusted vendors (see the feedback) I guess......Good luck!!!
No store or seller in right mind would only sell fake oil. They would be selling fakes together with real ones, and it happens because of corrupted distributors or even sometimes they do it. Upon a complaint from a customer because of getting a fake item which wont even be over %10 of total number of sales, they will easily be able to deny...

However ven the most corrupted distributor in right mind would not sell a fake oil directly to a customer that is privately ordering only a single canister of oil. Because it will be a single item and it will be easy to spot it and they will not be able to deny the item that belongs to them. Also they will have no idea who is behind that order whether a real customer or a secret customer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts