Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
What is not covered
• Damaged or broken glass in sunroofs or fixed or moveable glass roof panels.
• Replacement of the hood/roof structure of a convertible or cabriolet vehicle.
Crap! Just looked at my policy with Admiral:

Under Windscreen Damage section:

2 What is not covered

We will not pay:

for replacement of the hood/roof structure of a convertible or cabriolet car when the glass forming part of it is not repairable

Looks like Admiral can go do one come renewal time then! :no:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
hey Chris, if you can find someone who will cover it, let me know...............please!
Direct Line / Privilage (one and the same company):

Section D - Windscreen Damage

What is covered

We will pay to:

• replace the roof and rear windscreen assembly together if your car is fitted with a folding roof and it is more cost-effective than replacing the glass alone.

More Than (who was my cheapest quote last time out until Admiral matched it) policy does not mention cab roofs at all.

I'll see if there are others...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Insurance Companies (UK) who's policy documents specifically does not pay out on replacing the hood if the rear window glass is damaged:

Admiral
Elephant
Swift Cover
Tesco

Insurance Companies (UK) who's policy documents specifically mention that the roof is covered:

Direct Line
Privilage
Sainsburys Car Insurance

I would say thought this is an odd set up, because all the above exclusions are under Windscreen/glass cover. They basically say that if the glass in the roof is broken then we are not paying out. However, and here's the rub, if your roof was damaged and the glass smashed in an act of vandalism or in an attempt to steal the vehicle then the cost of replacing the roof (and subsequently the glass) would be covered by the insurance! Go figure! :wall:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I can imagine the most likely "excuse" Audi will use in an attempt to blame the customer as follows:

The storage box was raised and when you operated the roof it dropped but something in the boot partially caught it and hence when the lid closed it applied pressure to the roof and the weakest point went pop (in this case the glass).

This is why I only keep the wind deflector cover, a blanket, and old towel and a small tire pump in the boot. If I am going to load the boot up (and I know I am going to drop the roof), then I drop the roof first then load the boot to make sure nothing fouls the storage box.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just had a chat with my insurance company (Admiral), its renewal time again! I specifically queried the policy document section about not covering roof replacement if the rear window has to be replaced.

They said that if the glass is broken beyond repair and that damage was caused by vandalism or non your fault accidental damage (i.e. a kid throws a cricket ball through the window) then the policy would pay out for the roof replacement too (less your excess naturally).

However I am leaving them as they could not get within a county mile of my cheapest quote. They wanted 445 quid. Cheapest quote was 275 quid!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm up for renewal too. Who'd you go with? And do they cover the glass too?
More Than. I studied the policy document in detail and they do not specifically mention that roof is not covered under the glass replacement section.

As I said, if the window was smashed and not your fault then the normal insurance would cover it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I copied this from my policy with Hastings Direct...does that mean that they will not replace the roof if the rear window is damaged?....this is what I understood from it but I will be happy to be corrected

Glass damage
What is covered
- Broken glass in the windscreens or windows of your car and any scratching to your car’s bodywork as a result of the broken glass.

What is not covered
- The excess shown for this section on your Schedule.
- Sunroofs or any other glass forming part of your car.
Well it is covered as I read that. "Broken glass in the windscreens or windows of your car" are covered. The rear window is a 'erm window!

" Sunroofs or any other glass forming part of your car." I take this to mean rear view mirrors, wing mirrors etc and other glass in the car which is not a window.

Your best bet is to ring them and ask.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Chris.... I think the OP was with LV, not Hastings Direct unless I've missed something in the plot!

RG
Probably, but I was replying to Sam1970 who is with Hastings Direct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts