Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 A5 3.0Tdi black s line spec edition NOW 2021 45Tfsi Edition 1 sound pack
387 Posts
Thats extremely worrying , both the fact that the window broke for an undiagnosed reason and that the insurance may not cover it . Mine is due in Nov and its something I will check before renewal , I am also going to extend my warranty for a further year but I fear that if a problem does occur it may be something that in the small print isnt covered . No one else has yet to report rear windows breaking so perhaps it was a one off ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Insured with LV , helpline states that the rear window is covered , but only the cost of the window . Despite informing her that the window is intergrated within the roof she stated that they would only pay for the window ? Autoglass cannot even quote as they correctly said it needs referral to an Audi dealer .
So am I covered or not ? went round and round in circles with the insurance company and couldnt get a straight answer .

·
Registered
387 Posts
I thought that the rear window could not be bought as a seperate unit but this is the reply from Audi sc

Reference: AU-2012/08-007753
Re: Replacement window
Thank you for your email regarding the cost of purchasing a rear window for your Audi A5 Cabriolet.
I can confirm that the current Recommended Retail Price (RRP) for this part is £244.96 excluding VAT, please note that this only
given as a guide and is subject to change without notice.
Your local Audi Centre will have the latest information on the Audi parts and accessories range. They will be happy to confirm
availability and prices and answer any questions you may have.
You can find a list of all the Audi Centres in the UK at Home < Audi UK. Please ask to speak to the Parts Department who will be
happy to help.
If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me on the details below.
Kind Regards
Jenny Sheeran
Customer Relations Advisor
Audi UK
T 0845 7699 777
E [email protected]

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thats a point , I would have called the others the side/rear windows also , but hey I am only a dentist not an Audi relations person , I have therfore asked her to clarify this . Only ever had one rear window in a car shatter in 30 odd years of motoring and 15+ cars but I think it still needs clarifying .

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had a circular conversation with LV regarding a possible broken rear screen : they would pay for a new screen but wouldnt cover the cost of a whole roof , I explained that they were an integral unit and would need to be replaced together at circa £4000 , but that stated again they would only pay for the screen . It was impossible to get a proper reply from them .
To be honest in 30 odd years of driving only ever had my daughters car with a # rear screen but I am probably changing companies .

·
Registered
387 Posts
The phone operator did query it with a more senior manager , same reply , would pay for window not the roof :wall:
I did actually renew with another company due to a cheaper quote but didnt really investigate the window query . Head in sand ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The policy states that the window must be replaced by their recommended company , which for most insurance companies is autoglass , when I phoned them they said they couldnt replace a convertible rear window , so the insurance companies liabiity is limited to a fixed sum . But as I said I didnt pursue the matter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
But as I have said most policies only cover the windows if replaced by approved suppliers or otherwise limited to £? . I have phoned autoglass and they cant replace a rear window for an audi cab and they were the approved suppliers for my insurance company . Hopefully not something I will ever have to argue with them . I have only ever had one # rear window in over 35 years of car ownership and that was on my daughters car .
I also had a rear demister element fail on my car and I am sure that as well as Jason there was someone else that has the same problem , so I wonder how common it is ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts