Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anybody else notice that the headlight beam seems to shake alittle when driving on country lanes(Xenons). It very slight but never had it on any other car but then Ive never had Xenon lights before. Maybe its due to the fact that they are on the self levelling system.
Also. I get slight fogging up of the lenses after washing or on wet days, This seems odd to me. I used to always look out for this when buying a used car as fogging of the lamps usually meant, a damaged lamp unit or a cheap replacement unit fitted. But to find this on a new car is not nice. Anybody get this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've noticed the shaking myself and just thought it was me! You're right it is very slight but doesn't seem to affect performance. My previous Audi (A3) had Xennons too and they didn't shake, but then I never noticed them self-level either.

The lenses on the lights used to mist slightly on my Mk1 TT but this was only the plastic lense, not the actual light. It was a common "problem" because it wasn't a sealed unit, but a few minutes drive with the lights on was all that was needed to clear it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris. My last car was a TT also and yes both lamps fogged up alittle but it was an oldish car bought secondhand and I thought it was a little dodgy. Going by your response, they must be all like that.
The shaking lamps are not nice really and not what I was expecting. Still, its not the end of the world.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
If you get US DOT-spec headlamps, the cut off line isn't as sharp, so the shakiness will be less apparent. Kind of funny, since we all want E-code lamps with the sharper cutoff. =)

-Ray

·
Registered
871 Posts
Mine shake as well, glad to hear that this seems to be a feature and not a fault

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Does anybody else notice that the headlight beam seems to shake alittle when driving on country lanes(Xenons). It very slight but never had it on any other car but then Ive never had Xenon lights before. Maybe its due to the fact that they are on the self levelling system.
Completely normal in an Audi. All the Audi Xenons I've driven vibrate a bit. I guess it has to do with the automatic leveling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.