Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to do my own service on various parts of my 2013 S5 B8.5 Coupe 3.0TFSI. Since I don't have a manual, I need some specific info regarding torque settings and fluid quantities.

Any help on the following would be very welcome and appreciated:

Brakes - what's the quantity of DOT4 / 5.1 fluid required for standard brakes? Will any make do or should I stick with OEM ? Is there anything I need other than the fluid and distilled water?

Coolant - what's the quantity of G12/G13 required. I've read that 1 gallon may not be enough? Will any make do or should I stick with OEM ? Again, anything I should be aware of when doing a coolant flush?

Spark plugs - are NGK the OEM suppliers? Which brand and specific type are recommended? Should they be gapped even though they come pre-gapped? What is the torque setting for the plugs?

Power steering fluid - I know nothing about this one - quantity, spec, other things needed, issues to look out for, etc

Oil change - I know the washer should be, but should the drain plug be changed with each oil change? What's the quantity of oil required - 7 or 8 quarts (spec VW 502.00)? Is the onboard display accurate or should I get a dipstick?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm doing these myself for the first time - learning to wrench is best, right? Thanks guys

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any help on the following would be very welcome and appreciated:

Oil change - I know the washer should be, but should the drain plug be changed with each oil change? What's the quantity of oil required - 7 or 8 quarts (spec VW 502.00)? Is the onboard display accurate or should I get a dipstick?
Oil is 6.8 litres, oil filter housing torque is 25Nm. I use a dipstick.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Brakes - what's the quantity of DOT4 / 5.1 fluid required for standard brakes? Will any make do or should I stick with OEM ?
I used a 1 litre can of: ATE TYP 200 DOT4 fluid which leaves a little left over for a top-up, if needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What would you use distilled water for in brake system?

You can pick service manual from eBay for about £6 or probably be able to find it free somewhere on the web.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would you use distilled water for in brake system?

You can pick service manual from eBay for about £6 or probably be able to find it free somewhere on the web.
Sorry - the bit about distilled water should have been under the coolant section. Brain was not in gear ....
Thanks for the heads up about the manuals - I didn't even think to look on ebay for one

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brakes - what's the quantity of DOT4 / 5.1 fluid required for standard brakes? Will any make do or should I stick with OEM ?
I used a 1 litre can of: ATE TYP 200 DOT4 fluid which leaves a little left over for a top-up, if needed.
Excellent - thanks man

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Brakes - what's the quantity of DOT4 / 5.1 fluid required for standard brakes? Will any make do or should I stick with OEM ? Is there anything I need other than the fluid and distilled water?

Coolant - what's the quantity of G12/G13 required. I've read that 1 gallon may not be enough? Will any make do or should I stick with OEM ? Again, anything I should be aware of when doing a coolant flush?

Spark plugs - are NGK the OEM suppliers? Which brand and specific type are recommended? Should they be gapped even though they come pre-gapped? What is the torque setting for the plugs?

Power steering fluid - I know nothing about this one - quantity, spec, other things needed, issues to look out for, etc

Sorry for all the questions but I'm doing these myself for the first time - learning to wrench is best, right? Thanks guys
Apologies first, I will use metric values :)

Brakes - so long as it is DOT 4 or 5, it will be personal preference on which brand. I have used Pagid and Castrol before. 1 litre should be suffice to do a complete flush through. I use a turkey baster to remove the fluid from the reservoir, then refill with new, then use a pressure fill kit to flush old fluid out. Gunsons brake bleed kits are good and come with a variety of reservoir cap fittings.

Coolant - 11.8 litres, but you won't get all of out on a drain. The drain cock on the radiator just drains from the radiator and expansion tank. Remove the airbox and there is a hose that goes into an aluminium pipe up to the bulk head. You can disconnect this and will let more coolant out of the system. Also disconnect the charger cooling system to to drain this. Refill is best done with a vacuum tool to avoid airlocks and refill completely. G12+ (pink) (G40 Comma from Halfords, prob not in US though :) ) is the standard coolant for these engines. I would buy pre-mixed to save the hassle of mixing with distilled water.

Spark plugs - NGK BKR8IEX these are Iridium tipped plugs, that are slightly better than the OEM Platinum tipped plugs. They come pre-gapped to 0.7mm, but I checked mine and tapped them down to 0.65mm. You will need to remove the coolant expansion bottle to get at the plugs on the right bank - so bear this in mind if you are doing the coolant. Remove the airbox for the left bank of plugs.

P. Steering - mine is electric, not sure if yours is? Not a service item under standard Audi maintenance.

Oil - 6.8 liters. Yes you can change the sump plug washer. We use Castrol Edge FST titanium in the UK, but check the label for specs. MMI oil gauge is accurate, but most of buy a dipstick. I found on my CREC engine, the dipstick over-read, so to read correctly, I inserted the stick to the oil-ring and not insert it fully to give the correct reading.

What miles has yours done?

S-tronic auto trans needs service every 40k miles - oil and filter.
Supercharger drive belt is changed every 55k miles
Pollen/cabin filter

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts