Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are numerous threads on TT forums suggesting the Variable service interval is telling owners they need their cars servicing after as little as 4000 miles:mad:
Does anyone have any experience of this for the S5 - I'm due to pick up mine early September!:confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
This will be engine dependant rather than model so I think A6 (3.0 TDi) and RS4 (4.2 FSI) will be the best reference, not TT.
I read the same thing over on the TT Forum and I think its a 2.0 FSiT engine issue.
Its VW standard practice for all cars to be factory set to Variable so I intend having mine changed to Fixed as this gives you annual service thus an oil change after 12 months, always a good idea on a new engine. Get them to put synthetic oil in rather than the long life liquid gold too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
for my car oil change is every 15.000 km and service is every 30.000 km

·
Registered
74 Posts
This will be engine dependant rather than model so I think A6 (3.0 TDi) and RS4 (4.2 FSI) will be the best reference, not TT.
Huh - how do you work that out? The service interval doesn't vary between an RS4 or a TT!

I read the same thing over on the TT Forum and I think its a 2.0 FSiT engine issue.
I think you will actually find that VW/Audi are now "downscalling" the variable servicing interval, based on cumulative data, and that being as the 2.0TFSI is one of their newer engines, the ECU is set to be considerably more conservative.

Its VW standard practice for all cars to be factory set to Variable
Erm - not quite. The factory fills ALL engines with LongLife oil, irrespective of weather they are being sold into a market which can or can not support the LongLife service regime.

The actual "regime" is set by the original supplying dealer, as part of the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection), and some dealers still default to setting LongLife. However, many dealers will now ask the prospective owner which regime they wish for, and set it according to the owners wishes. Naturally, there are sill the isolated incidents of pure incompetent stealer who still doesn't set it to the customers requirement (I have that particular T-shirt! :mad: )

so I intend having mine changed to Fixed as this gives you annual service thus an oil change after 12 months, always a good idea on a new engine.
Wise move.

Get them to put synthetic oil in rather than the long life liquid gold too.
What !!!!!!!

I suggest you do a little more "homework". The LongLife oil is a considerably higher specification than non-LongLife oil, and is a fully synthetic brew. Furthermore, if you fail to put the correct VW approved oil, and you have to make an engine based warranty claim, your warranty WILL be rejected.

For the record, all franchised VAG dealers (Audi, VW, Seat, Škoda) will refuse to use any customer supplied oil that doesn't meet the appropriate VW approval.

Mods/Admins: do you allow links to similar sites, as I've written a very article on LongLife servicing on a similar VW site?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.