Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expecting to take delivery of my S5 in November. I assume it will be delivered with 19" wheels and summer tires. I am thinking I will definitely want to have a second set of wheels and tires for the winter. Should I be just getting a set of 19" rims and snows? Should I get a smaller tire for the winter? Or should I just unmount the OEM tires and put snows or all seasons on the wheels that come with the car? Has anyone else given this any thought? (I originally posted this in the A5 Tires & Wheels forum by mistake.)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have learned from other cars that you want a seperate set of tires and wheels. I'd go for 18inches if snow is a concern, but watch the tire size. I'd call audi to see what they would reccomend so you keep the same ratio of the 19 inches, not to fool the ABS system and geometry of the suspension. People get these big wheels and they look great but will actually hurt the cars handling.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'd recommend a smaller less expensive wheel for the winter, and leave the good wheels for summer.

The salts on the roads in winter damage wheels fairly badly.

Just to add, if your going to move down to an 18" wheel, you'll have a profile of 40, while a 19" wheel has a 35 profile.

I'm not sure which tyres will be used for the US market.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Make sure anything you do will fit over the brakes. A smaller diameter wheel for winter tires is very desireable. It gives more room for the tire to give when hitting hidden potholes, etc. in the snow. You do loose some cornering grip with the taller sidewall but in my opinion is a worthwhile tradeoff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know it's better to have two sets of wheels/tires but I really like the OEM wheels on the S5 and I don't want to switch to another wheel/tire combo for 4-5 months of the year. Any ideas on a all season tire? I know nothing will preform like a high preformance summer tire and nothing will be as good as a blizzak but I'm willing to give those up for a tire that I can use all year round.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm beginning to investigate this too.

The 19" wheel option for the A5 has the rim I want, but of course with a performance tire. The standard 18" rim is simply undesirable.

So is there an All-Season 19" tire that can be used if I upgrade to the 19" '5-Arm Y' rims?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I know it's better to have two sets of wheels/tires but I really like the OEM wheels on the S5 and I don't want to switch to another wheel/tire combo for 4-5 months of the year. Any ideas on a all season tire? I know nothing will preform like a high preformance summer tire and nothing will be as good as a blizzak but I'm willing to give those up for a tire that I can use all year round.
I'm beginning to investigate this too.

The 19" wheel option for the A5 has the rim I want, but of course with a performance tire. The standard 18" rim is simply undesirable.

So is there an All-Season 19" tire that can be used if I upgrade to the 19" '5-Arm Y' rims?

Do you guys regularly get snow during winter?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't get so much snow as much as constant cold tempratures. My current summer tires on my car have almost no grip when it is down in the 40-50F (5-10C) range. This is when performance orientated winter tires go on. Not so much the pure snow and ice tires. My current favorite is the Dunlop WinterSport M3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Snowstorms can occur from November until late March. Snow might not be on the ground for the entire winter but we can get storms that dump 6-12" at a time (sometimes a lot more). My streets don't get plowed, so I will be driving through snow at some points.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah it snows here too. December thru March. I really like the 19" 5 Spoke Y rims, but practically it just doesn't make sense.

So, I'm going to go with the 18" rims with all season tires and see what other options there are for decent OEM rims. Any recommendations out there?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Snowstorms can occur from November until late March. Snow might not be on the ground for the entire winter but we can get storms that dump 6-12" at a time (sometimes a lot more). My streets don't get plowed, so I will be driving through snow at some points.
This is similar to what we receive in the Kansas City area. I had no problem last year in a 12" snowfall with my Subaru. My wifes MINI also had no problems on her Wintersports in the same storm.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is similar to what we receive in the Kansas City area. I had no problem last year in a 12" snowfall with my Subaru. My wifes MINI also had no problems on her Wintersports in the same storm.
Same for me. Sounds like the weather here in NJ is a lot like it is for PUIDR. We get snow, usually beginning in December and thorugh March. Our storms can drop anywhere from a dusting to, at worst, 2 feet of snow. While we get dustings a lot, two feet is unusual. Most storms will put down between 2 and 8 inches, and while the snow will often melt between storms and we can go several weeks with no snow cover, there often comes a point in mid-late January where we will go snow covered all the way to the spring thaw in late February-early March.

So, I'm trying to decide whether to get separate set of rims and tires for winter only - December-Early March; if so whether to get smaller size rims (I think that makes sense); and whether to put four snows on those separate rims or put four all seasons on the OEM 19" rims that will come with the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know winter tires are great, I just wanted suggestions on all season tires. When I owned a WRX, I used Continetal Contisport extreme with some weight in the trunk during winter and it worked fine. With my 911 C4, I used a set of kumho ecstas and that worked great last winter and this summer. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on what I should use on the S5. Since it looks like the first allocation will be mid or late Nov, I wont have much time before I need to change the OEM tires.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Same for me. Sounds like the weather here in NJ is a lot like it is for PUIDR. We get snow, usually beginning in December and thorugh March. Our storms can drop anywhere from a dusting to, at worst, 2 feet of snow. While we get dustings a lot, two feet is unusual. Most storms will put down between 2 and 8 inches, and while the snow will often melt between storms and we can go several weeks with no snow cover, there often comes a point in mid-late January where we will go snow covered all the way to the spring thaw in late February-early March.

So, I'm trying to decide whether to get separate set of rims and tires for winter only - December-Early March; if so whether to get smaller size rims (I think that makes sense); and whether to put four snows on those separate rims or put four all seasons on the OEM 19" rims that will come with the car.

If you are going to get seperate wheels and tires specifically for winter, then get winter tires. You are not going to short change yourself anymore by doing an 18inch with performance winter tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My car came with the stock 18' rims (standard for Russia) and I'm going to use them in winter and get another set of rims+tires for the summer (19' or 20'). As you might know, winters here are usually pretty cold and snowy, so I'll definitely buy a set of winter tires. Not sure which ones though - will speak to my dealer about this...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm probably going to do the same thing. I had an S8 that I changed wheels and tires on and it was a PITA.
There are many options for the 18" wheel size but on the S5's 19" wheels the choice is limited, the best choice is the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tire. They are expensive though. As you said you'll be giving up some snow traction in winter and handling in summer by going with all season tires.
Performance tires become pretty much useless and even dangerous when the temp. drops into the 30's and below, you don't need snow.
The rubber compounds in performance tires harden in cold temps. which make them lose traction.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Does anyone know (in the U.S.), if all S5's anywhere in the country get the same tires from the dealer? Or it varies based on the region/dealer? or can you tell the dealer which tires you want?

·
Registered
314 Posts
My car came with the stock 18' rims (standard for Russia) and I'm going to use them in winter and get another set of rims+tires for the summer (19' or 20'). As you might know, winters here are usually pretty cold and snowy, so I'll definitely buy a set of winter tires. Not sure which ones though - will speak to my dealer about this...
You were on e90post weren't you? Your getting another S5???

·
Registered
50 Posts
You were on e90post weren't you? Your getting another S5???
Yup, I've ordered another one in different colour and fully loaded :) Will try to resell the current one at a good value ;)

And yes, I'm on e90post

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yup, I've ordered another one in different colour and fully loaded :) Will try to resell the current one at a good value ;)

And yes, I'm on e90post
Awesome, away from the BMW bias. Can you PM me a short review on your car? I am looking to trade up to an S5 coming in Jan.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.