Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone keen on some see through tires?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
They are weird...would imagine they'd be noisy ? Not on my car !!

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's an old picture. I think they were by Michelin and they dropped the idea a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Actually it's about 15 years ago!

...They came from a wheel design that was shown on tomorrow's world bout 20 years ago and were trialled in the early 90's on cars, unsuccessfully because of several factors from memory:

1) temperature build-up destroyed the tyre in a few k miles
2) noise
3) Aerodynamics
4) poor torque transmission (changed radius)
5) handling and performance

...although it looks like they're still working on it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think those are just cut aways of run flats so people can see how they operate, no?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think those are just cut aways of run flats so people can see how they operate, no?
traydenbellean - I don't think they are. Run flats have a near solid side wall and these have none.

Please see attached a pic of one of my runflats - believe it or not when I rang BMW assist they insisted that I was safe to continue my journey :eek:
Even when I told them that I could fit my fist in the hole the operator still urged me to try some tyre weld :D
No - I didn't drive it and they eventually picked me up.

Still impressed though as I was doing 80 with 5 on board and only suffered heavy vibration at the rear. No damage to wheel and the side wall was still supporting the car (that explains the hard ride). Mind you, I'm still cross that I hadn't noticed the uneven wear on the inside edge - guess what I do very frequently now.:)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts