Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all... great forum. I haven't had to post much since my questions have been answered here in previous threads.

Having never owned an Audi before and axiously awaiting my A5, I was wondering how people feel about the security/alarm system that are installed in the A5/S5 or other models? Are people satisfied with these alarms or do people have other systems installed after market?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
eyesee,

I've had 4 Audi's all from new and have never had any problems with the security systems. Audi have a reputation for one of the best factory-fit alarm systems out there, although a lot of other manufacturers have caught up with (and in some places overtaken) Audi in recent years.

For an independent review, have a look at the Thatcham website about new vehicle security ratings (NVSR):
http://www.thatcham.org/nvsr/
You can put in whichever manufacturer/model you want and get a star rating - all of the A5/S5 range gets a 5 star rating for 'Theft of vehicle' and 4 stars for 'Theft from vehicle'. There are very few cars that rate 5 stars for 'Theft from' - only the Audi A8/S8, Citroen Grand Picasso, C5 and C6, Jag Daimler Super 8, Lexus LS, Merc CL and S, Peugeot 407 and 607 and VW Phaeton (essentially 11 different cars - and the CL and S are very similar anyway).

Hope this answers your question - the bottom line is you shouldn't really need any after market alarm system as the Audi one is about the best out there anyway. If the thieves really want your car, then no alarm system is ever 100% thief-proof.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
eyesee,

Just seen that you're Stateside - the link I gave above was for the UK insurance industry-backed organisation called Thatcham which has been testing vehicle safety and security since the late 60s. I don't know for sure, but would imagine that there's no difference with the security system fitted to US A5s as it's a factory-fit item from Audi, so goes in when the car goes down the production line in Ingolstadt.

Obviously there's not many US cars in the list, but hopefully this is still useful information for you.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The only thing I hate about it is that it doesn't tell you what triggered the alarm. My old alfa romeo used to give a light-flashing code to tell you what sensor on the car triggered the alarm. It had around 7 combinations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses... wish there was an alarm to go off when someone simply touches the car:)

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Thanks for the responses... wish there was an alarm to go off when someone simply touches the car:)
You'd be looking for an aftermarket alarm if you want that. My clifford alarm on my supra "chirps" when anyone walks near it... just to let them know that it's protected :p You can adjust the sensititivity as well with the proximity sensor.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OMG! :eek: That is hilarious! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow... now that's what I'm looking for:) Wonder what the after market cost is:p

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only thing I hate about it is that it doesn't tell you what triggered the alarm. My old alfa romeo used to give a light-flashing code to tell you what sensor on the car triggered the alarm. It had around 7 combinations.
The MMI may not tell you, but the car should have the capability to localize the event. On my '99 A4 and my mom's '02 Jetta, if you VAG it it will tell you exactly which sensor went off (e.g. 'driver door', 'hood'). Heck, it even told me when the rear interior light shorted out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.