Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost (I tried searching for SD card reader) but...

On page 23 of the UK sales brochure (from September 2007) the Symphony stereo shows a button marked "CD/SD" and there appears to be an SD card sized slot just to the right of the "INFO" button. Have I missed any small-print that confirms that the Symphony CD-changer will read MP3 files from an SD card?

Will try and post a pic if I can get my scanner working.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Got my A5 in September,it has the sd card slot,works pefectly reading mp3 music files,from a 2GB card.:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had confirmation from Audi today that the Concert and Symphony stereo have SD slot. So get yourself a 8GB SD card and you will have up to 1600 tracks to listen to.

Still counting the days to delivery.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Sorry if this is a repost (I tried searching for SD card reader) but...

On page 23 of the UK sales brochure (from September 2007) the Symphony stereo shows a button marked "CD/SD" and there appears to be an SD card sized slot just to the right of the "INFO" button. Have I missed any small-print that confirms that the Symphony CD-changer will read MP3 files from an SD card?

Will try and post a pic if I can get my scanner working.
Roswell,
No need for the scanner, you can get the UK sales brochure online as a .pdf here (hope this link works):
http://switch.atdmt.com/action/9lmadb_A5andS5PDFBrochure_1

If that doesn't work, then go here:
http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/Pricing_and_Specifications.html
then click on "A5 and S5 Pricing and Specification Guide" down the left hand side of the page - opens in Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If you're still after an answer on the SD card, then I'm pretty sure you get this with the Symphony 6-cd as shown on page 23 as you state. However, I don't think you get it if you go for SatNav, although you do get the in-dash 6 CD changer as shown on page 28. I also don't know if it's there with the standard Concert single-slot CD, but would think you do as it seems to be part of the dash-mounted MMI controls rather than the CD player/changer. I haven't really searched, but I don't think I've got an SD card slot in my car, but then I've got AMI, so not something I would use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone got a picture of this? If its got a card ready does it mean I dont need to upgrade to the "Music interface" thing?

Yeh, Again, can someone show me some photo's of this symphony hifi:):D

·
Registered
84 Posts
So get yourself a 8GB SD card and you will have up to 1600 tracks to listen to.
I've heard noises on this site alluding to the fact that the maximum SD card size the head unit will read is 2GB, although I've no idea why this should be the case - anyone managed to get anything larger to work?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Anyone got a picture of this? If its got a card ready does it mean I dont need to upgrade to the "Music interface" thing?

Yeh, Again, can someone show me some photo's of this symphony hifi:):D
If you're content with having your music stored on an SD card (and you don't think you'll ever want to use an iPod, other MP3 player, or USB flash drive in the car ... all 3 of which require the Audi music interface), then there's no need for you to upgrade to the AMI.

As requested, below are a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I couldn't get it to read a 4gb card. It does mention the 2gb limit somewhere in the handbook.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm stuck with no NAV+ or AMI as it's a company car and my employer's scheme doesn't allow for (very many) options to be added (yes, I'm stuck with the standard 'sport' 18 inch rims :( and so few options I feel like the poor relation amongst all these 'fully loaded' rides ;) ). I think I'll probably be fine with the SD card plus a few CD's rather than needing to hook up my iPod. Still no word on delivery dates but I only ordered in very late December so I'm stuck with this forum (no bad thing; but the car would be nice!) and the brochure for company :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all.

Right, I've ordered an A5, having seen one in a car park and thought 'Wow, what's that? I want one'. It's as a company car though, so it's going to be a bit lacking in extras.

It seems that Tata can build a whole car for about half what it it costs for Audi to allow one to use one's Ipod. Therefore I'm initially looking at the SD card option and I suppose I should start transferring bits of my iTunes library to a card. So (getting to the point) I'd also be interested to hear what cards work well with the basic radio setup and any tricks involved in setting it up. It sounds as if there may be a 2gb limit :( , so if anyone can get anything bigger to work, I'd be particularly interested.

I'm also keen to hear about experiences with aftermarket iPod interfaces. £500 for one of the fancy Denison ones sounds a bit steep, but the £100 Denison job I installed in my VW T5 does the job quite nicely, so my hopes are high that a sensibly costed solution must be (or will be soon) available for an Audi.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
Does the SD slot take mini-SD or full size SD cards? My car is scheduled to arrive in the first week of March, but I would like to go shopping for SD cards...
Thanks

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've got an S5 with B&0 and Sat Nav so unfortunatley no SD slots, which is a shame because my previous S4 had two slots and I've still got the cards with my music all sorted and loaded. Going back to C.D's is a definate backward step. Have you got any info on the up market denison units you referred to?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi,
Does the SD slot take mini-SD or full size SD cards? My car is scheduled to arrive in the first week of March, but I would like to go shopping for SD cards...
Thanks
Its a full size SD card and maximum 2GB works ok I been told, I've just bought my card and loading currently ready for March 1st.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the reason the cards must be only 2GB or smaller is that the card reader supports only the FAT16 filesystem. The FAT32 filesystem is needed for larger cards. Some digital cameras have the same limitation for this reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its a full size SD card and maximum 2GB works ok I been told, I've just bought my card and loading currently ready for March 1st.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got an S5 with B&0 and Sat Nav so unfortunatley no SD slots, which is a shame because my previous S4 had two slots and I've still got the cards with my music all sorted and loaded. Going back to C.D's is a definate backward step. Have you got any info on the up market denison units you referred to?
Do you have the AMI? If so, you can sync your SD cards with an USB stick and use that :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can always buy an MP3 player that plays off SD cards and has a USB connection, and plug it into the AMI in your glove box, should work.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You can always buy an MP3 player that plays off SD cards and has a USB connection, and plug it into the AMI in your glove box, should work.
Or better yet, a USB SD card reader would be an even cheaper solution. Those can be had for just a few bucks. Then, all one needs to do is insert the SD card into the USB adapter/reader and then connect that to the AMI USB cable, and voilà!

You can see an example of one of those SD card readers here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SD Card

Hi Guys. I have transferred my MP3 tunes onto a 2GB SD but for some reason the Symphony stereo does not recognise it as it briefly comes up @unreadable' on the display. can anyone help please?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts