Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my...the A7...this one might just rock the car world like the A5. Audi's touring the US showing off the 2012 A7 and the new A6. Missed the Dallas party for their unveiling, but, Boardwalk in Plano has a big bad black A7 and it is stunning in person. Pictures do NOT do this car justice.

I was expecting it to have that funny "dog that has its tail between its legs" look like Mercedes CLS, but, it doesn't. Ya, it's that sloped-rear kind of car in general, but, it's a much stronger and agressive looking car than the CLS.

The interior is as stately and upscale as any European. Certainly, not as many features as the A8, but, very close.

Audi knocked the crap out of the ball on this one. Can't wait to see the A5 Sportsback now.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
need to admit i hate the back of it, the lights, exhausts and back bumper are really not to my taste :(

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I had one for a few days last week and gave it a 'good test run' . Excellent quality but too big for me. Wonderful motorway cruiser with Adaptive Cruise but too OTT for my needs and too expensive new I think. More like an A8 Coupe in my view and if I were wanting a car that big I think I would want 5 seats... Nice though and certainly draws attention like the A5 did 2-3 years ago.

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was surprised at how small the interior feels - the centre console is very wide and very high. This gives quite a claustrophobic feel. At least it did to me. Now, I am 6'5" and, ahem, quite well built, but I'd expect a car of this size and class to feel larger inside.
Also, I'm with Kenny - as much I as want to love the A7, that rear end is not pretty...
As ever, all IMHO
cheers

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had some time to kill so I stopped by a local dealership to have a look. I was a bit underwhelmed. It does have a presence that you don't get from the pictures and it really is a decent car to sit in, but for what they charge you, heck no! The one I sat in was a Prestige and had most of the options, but the sticker was $76K! Add tax, all the other stuff and you're way past 80. My main problems with the car are that 1. It's a hatchback 2. It doesn't feel special 3. It's underpowered and 4. It's too expensive.

It's a nice car but I'd much rather have a CLS, and even an older one, that is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
3. It's underpowered.
I love all the new tech options in the A7(New MMI, google connectivity, night vision, and Head up display), but I agree the engine is a little underpowered.

Hoping they will make a S7 in the near future...that will probably my next car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear the negative comments on the A7. I just traded my S5 in for one last week. I loved the S5 and was sad to see it go, but I needed something a little more accessible for my kids. Climbing over the seats to get into the back was getting old. I got a pretty good deal between trade-in and new purchase.

I will admit, the only thing I don't like about the design is the rear end. I don't really dislike it, but I think it could have been done a bit better. As for power, the 3.0T engine is very smooth and has decent power with a fairly level torque curve. It's almost as robust as the 4.2 V8, though i wish they'd gone with a bit more HP and a sportier transmission, like a dual-clutch. As a supercharged engine, it should be somewhat tweakable. Any info on that topic would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone comes up with VAGCOM codes or can send Ross-Tech info for the short-coding helper, that would be great. Want to get rid of those damn winking DRLs!

The S5 was great while it lasted... I'll miss this forum!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Also, if anyone comes up with VAGCOM codes or can send Ross-Tech info for the short-coding helper, that would be great. Want to get rid of those damn winking DRLs!
Have you tried the A5/S5 codes for winking DRLs?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I love all the new tech options in the A7(New MMI, google connectivity, night vision, and Head up display), but I agree the engine is a little underpowered.
+1 I just configured a fully loaded car with all this juicy tech but the price came to £31k just for the options, on top of the £43k cost of the car :yikes:

I can't own a car knowing some bits are missing, always fully load.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I haven't... took a quick look, but wasn't sure that the coding was the same for the specific byte/bit blocks. I'm a bit hesitant to mess with the programming without knowing exactly what it will do. But I may try to play a bit. What's the worst that could happen?.... :)

Also, I'm rather envious- I'd have loved all those options. But, as you noted, the cost of the options rivals the cost of the base model car. Just couldn't bring myself to do it. Would never have survived my wife's wrath!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I now have tried some VCDS codes for the A7. The "winking DRL" code appears to be the same across all new model Audis, and worked just fine.

I also managed to use the info found online regarding the VIM (video in motion) to unlock the ability to play DVDs while moving. It was pretty dang easy, and now my kids and wife can watch while we're traveling along. Just have to resist the urge to do so myself!

Happy to help any other A7 owners with info if needed. Unfortunately, there is no long coding helper available for the car yet, so many other VCDS codes can't be tweaked without knowing the specific byte/bit block that requires alteration. Very well may be the same as other models, however most online info discusses only the long coding details. In time, I'm hopeful that Ross-Tech will update the software for the A7. I plan to send in my data dump to help them along.

·
4,545 Posts
Is the 4.2 TDI available in the A7?
in europe, there are 4 engines, so far:
2.8 FSI 150kW, 3.0 TFSI 220kW, 3.0 TDI 150kW (FWD), 3.0 TDI 180kW

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
when are Audi going to do a 280bhp/210KW 3.0TDi as per BMW 335D and Jag XF-S then?

Was rumoured for the A7 but no sign of it.

·
4,545 Posts
we'll have to wait for things like S7 :)
if we get lucky, it might have a 4.2 TDI - V8 :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
when are Audi going to do a 280bhp/210KW 3.0TDi as per BMW 335D and Jag XF-S then?

Was rumoured for the A7 but no sign of it.
Recent ETKA leaks stated that production of 3.0TDI bi-turbo C7 A6 with 313ps should start end of this year (it was November if I remember correctly).
So, presumably, that engine should go into A7 as well next year.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts