Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Saw the S5 now i'm depressed

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  sizzle 
#1 ·
Finally got to see the S5 today and was a bit dissapointed overall. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful car, and I will probably still purchase one; but I think my expectations were too high going in.
My biggest gripe is with the interior. The plastics on the dash just look cheap for a vehicle costing $58k. The cupholders also look like after thoughts and could have been designed better. The nav screen was smaller and not placed as well as it looked in pictures, and even the buttons next to the gearshift didn't have the tactile feel I thought they would.

The good news is the LED's on the headlights were better looking than in pictures and the exterior as a whole is gorgeous. The car was in Meteor Grey which is nice, but I am sure it will look even better in black.

Anyone else feel letdown after seeing it for the first time?

#2 ·
Nope! Thought the interior was top-notch, my self. And we pay much more than $58k!

#3 ·
!!???...i have had my S5 for two weeks now, I think the interior is stunning, ....the replacement of certain knobs and surrounds is for the better and longevity of the equipment and have no problem with the tactile/feel of the instrumentation.....as for the Meteor Grey colour impressions- your right its looks brilliant in Black.

#5 ·
I cant wait to see this car, I am thinking of ordering a Meteor Grey with Magma interior...

#6 ·
Interesting review, definitely the first that was less than lukewarm but it's good to hear the different outlooks. I will see the S5 for the first time tomorrow and will be taking a look at all the postitives (and negatives) that I've read posted on the different boards. I just can't see Audi making an interior that was less than perfect. I'll know soon enough.

#9 ·
My point on the cupholders is that I wish they were covered somehow. They look pretty glaring as two huge recesses....

#8 ·
Finally got to see the S5 today and was a bit dissapointed overall. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful car, and I will probably still purchase one; but I think my expectations were too high going in.
My biggest gripe is with the interior. The plastics on the dash just look cheap for a vehicle costing $58k. The cupholders also look like after thoughts and could have been designed better. The nav screen was smaller and not placed as well as it looked in pictures, and even the buttons next to the gearshift didn't have the tactile feel I thought they would.

The good news is the LED's on the headlights were better looking than in pictures and the exterior as a whole is gorgeous. The car was in Meteor Grey which is nice, but I am sure it will look even better in black.

Anyone else feel letdown after seeing it for the first time?
Go sit in the new E92 M3 (which costs £10k more) or any BMW for that fact - then you will appreciate the interior quality of the S5.

#12 ·
Here Here...says a current BMW owner....S5 is miles ahead of the new E92 M3 in evrey shape and form:)

#10 ·
Go sit in the new E92 M3 (which costs £10k more) or any BMW for that fact - then you will appreciate the interior quality of the S5.
Very true,i had a test drive of the new M3 about a month ago now and was very disapointed especially when the one i was in was all tooled up and cost £57,800 :eek: and for that it was very bland especially the interior,dont get me wrong the drive was what you would expect from that kind of engine but was no better drive than the RS4 from audi which i drove 2 days earlier and was £4000 cheaper and all the toys were included.
I am yet to test drive the S5 as yet but have one from my local Audi dealer this saturday for the day so will let you know my thoughts,if it is as good as i expect it to be my order will be placed for one within next few weeks.

S5 all tooled up £45 - 48k
E92 M3 all tooled up £55- 58k

Up to £10,000 difference in price,explain why please :confused:

In my opinion BMW are running scared of Audi,have had both and Audi is leading by far heading into 2008.

#11 ·
I'm currently driving a 2007 BMW 530xi which cost me well over $60k. The interior of the S5 I sat in was so much nicer. In a totally different league in design and quality of build. And if we want to debate the details like cup holders. The BMW's are built into the dash. When not in use they are these ugly gashes in the dash. When you do use them they fold out and are completely useless. I have the open cup holders in a Touareg I also have (must be VW family thing) and they work great. If you're going to have cupholders they might as well be usable.

#14 ·
Well, went back to the dealer and actually had a test drive, and for some reason the interior looked 10x better than before.....:confused:
One culprit was the no perforation on the steering wheel made the wheel look bland, and I also wasn't sitting in the drivers side seat when I looked at it the first time.
Night and day difference when you sit in the captain's chair I guess....

Why does the A5 SLine have perforation on the steering wheel and not the S5????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.