Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at an Audi dealer today discussing an A5. The dealer said that I should seriously consider getting the Sat Nav option as it would pay for itself when it comes to selling/exchanging in say 3 years. I wasn't that interested in getting Sat Nav as I don't really have much need for it, or at least I didn't think it was worth the £2000.

Do people think the resale/trade-in value in 3 years for an A5 without sat nav really be significantly lower than one with it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was at an Audi dealer today discussing an A5. The dealer said that I should seriously consider getting the Sat Nav option as it would pay for itself when it comes to selling/exchanging in say 3 years. I wasn't that interested in getting Sat Nav as I don't really have much need for it, or at least I didn't think it was worth the £2000.

Do people think the resale/trade-in value in 3 years for an A5 without sat nav really be significantly lower than one with it?
Hi mate, i'm saying a sales ploy by the dealer trying to scrape as much out of you as possible in these difficult times!! Extras do not generally "pay for themselves" on re-sale. They depreciate more than the actual car in reality!!!

If you dont think you need one, i'd say dont pay for it!!

B:D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
There's no doubt, with Nav, the car can command a higher second-hand value, but there's no way you will recoup your money. It's better than paying for a special paint, which will net you zero gain second hand though! The main thing is that it makes it more attractive to sell and hence you should gain on a trade in.

As you may be aware, the NAV does enable a lot of the electronic connectivity options and changes the position of the MMI controls (non-Nav is in the dash) There's a thread or two on the with/without nav option, so you can read all the differences if you do a search. (cue TX, where he posts a link to the exact posts!)

...I went without and am perfectly happy (never use nav, phone or ipod in the car)... come trade in I won't care about a grand or so because I'll have saved a lot on monthly payments and interest. But many here swear by it and see it as cruicial... the choice is yours!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You wont recoup your money fully. I lost £1000 on sale of my previous car as it didnt have nav. It is generally considered that larger and more expensive cars should have nav nowadays.

I got nav as I wanted the multi-CD and a few other things that would be useful and the actual cost of the Nav effectively came down.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I love where the MMI is located with Nav, and its a digital signal to the B&O DPS. Thats what sold me. Plus now that I have the Nav, I enjoy using it from time to time

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think it depends on the model IMHO. Certainly the S5 and A5 V6's typically have sat Nav. In fact I considered a 4 month old used 'credit crunch' S5 2-3 months ago and it was 4k less than a similar model (same dealer) with Nav. + The expensive one with NAv was Gloomy Meteor Grey and the non Nav was Phantom. I was tempted but certainly would not buy new S5 or A5 V6 without Nav.B&O etc

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with Ian.... You won't get your money "back" on Nav (maybe half to 3/4 I reckon).... but it will almost certainly make the car worth more at trade in/ resell time and almost as crucial it will also make it much easier to sell...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with Ian.... You won't get your money "back" on Nav (maybe half to 3/4 I reckon).... but it will almost certainly make the car worth more at trade in/ resell time and almost as crucial it will also make it much easier to sell...
It will make it easier to sell to someone who wants satnav, but the non-satnav car will be easier to sell to someone who doesn't want satnav ! If you don't want it, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Glass's Guide lists premium cars such as the A5 as "models without nav are worth £xxxx less". Will have a look when I'm back at work tomorrow what it says about the A5.

IMHO, it will have a significant effect on value and on cars at this level buyers expect them to have nav. Many buyers would move to the next car with nav over one without.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Agree with you Booster, hence my earlier post. Certainly S5/3.0Tdi Quattros I am told it is a must, less so on the smaller and lower spec models which arguably are competing in a different market.

RG

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just had a look in Glass's, it doesn't say how much the reduction for non-nav cars is but the key thing is, all values for A5s include metallic paint and nav therefore it could be said that the market expects cars to have it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
When we changed the Mrs' 08 A5 for the 09 model this year the dealer told me that the trade in price would have been apprx £2000 less if the car didn't have sat nav. If this really was the case, and not dealer BS, then we lost nothing on that option over a 6 month period.

I imagine from a sales point of view it would be much easier to shift a used car with sat nav than without. As has been said above, when you get into the realms of the higher end A5s they don't really sell on price alone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nav is a must on the high end versions come PX time or private sale you will get tired of answering the question does it have Nav + Ami. I speak from experience ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts

Sorry I've been away from the forums but this is a serious sales ploy - I'm looking at two used A5's. One with Nav and one without - both the same price. Most folks I know don't need the navigation however they are like me and like the multicolor driver info display. That's the only reason I would get the nav. My garmin is a champ and on long road trips I'd used the wife's SUV.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Perhaps it's enjoyable getting lost in Philadelphia. The car market is very different in the states I gather, just look at most of the Lard you have over there!

·
Registered
457 Posts
This has always been something that bugs me. I can never figure out why when some folks buy cars they worry about resale. Now, I realize the importance of a vehicle holding it's value after purchase, but some folks treat a car as an investment. IMO you should just get what you want. If Nav is something you don't want, don't pay for it, you will save a little bit of money each month on your car payment. Also, unless you sell your car outright, you will take a bath on the value of the vehicle anyways. Dealers never give Blue Book for a car, they need to make a profit.

Just get the options you want and don't let a salesman try to tell you what you do or don't want. You are the customer and the dealer is there to provide you a service.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Shane I think there are a lot of differences in the UK. Agree if you lease and the Non Nav option is cheaper and you don't need it don't have it.
Private Purchasers however in the main want to minimise their costs and residuals are VIP. Buying an S5 without Nav will probably safe 'half of bugger all' at the end of 2-3 years and will be difficult to sell on. Horses for courses and freedom of choice is fine but not if it's going to cost me. Some extras are a total financial loss come sale time but in the UK I am told that for S5/Big engined A5's, NAv, MMI,AMI and B&O are pretty much essential. Things like Park Plus, Heated Seats etc may make the car more desirable but will add little if anything to it's second hand value.

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
457 Posts
RGBAgree,

Ah, I see what you are saying. I have no idea how the used car market operates in England/Europe. My experience is soley based on US sales.

Shane

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking to buy with cash rather than lease/finance so the resale/trade-in value in 3 years is important. Not just the value but the ease of selling it or getting a decent part-exchange offer from a dealer.

The problem I have now is the 4-5 month delivery time whichever options I go for!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts