Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Would you be interested in attending Peak Performance day at Santa Pod?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT - selected date is now Sunday, 5th April - see latest info below.

www.rwyb.co.uk

An opportunity to meet up (at our special A5OC members paddock) at Santa Pod Raceway, watch a variety of cars drag racing and, if the mood takes you, take your own car on the strip and lay some 1/4 mile stats!

We're hoping for around 10 or so (hopefully more) A/S5s to be present, a variety of models in various states of tune. We'll have a Racelogic timing box available also to record real-world 0-60 times. We'll also have a couple of VAG-COM/VCDS cables available for those who want to make any modifications to their cars systems

Cost is £10 admission plus an additional £25 sign-on fee (unlimited runs) if you'd like to venture out onto the track.

Hope to meet you there!

Ess5ive

Only 25 sign on tickets are available in advance (£25) if you're interested in attending, your options are to:
1) Call 01234 782828 to book your ticket in advance - this is particularly relevant if you'll be travelling some distance to Santa Pod as sign-ups on the day are on a first-come, first-served basis and ideally tou need to be there by 09:00.
2) Wait until the advance tickets become available online at www.santapodshop.com (if there's any left by then)
3) Turn-up on the day and pay your £35 (£10 admission and £25 sign-on for unlimited runs) - fine to do this is you can be there in good time on the 5th.

REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR DRIVING LICENCE!

Chaps, thought I'd run this up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it....

A few of us were talking this year about a more performance-orientated meet-up and it occurred to me that a day out at a drag-strip would enable those of us with stock, modded, petol, diesel 5s to get some real-world stats on how the cars are actually performing. Dyno results are one thing but it's hard to argue with raw 1/4 mile figures (and 0-60 stats - I for one would bring my V-Box GPS device along and we'd get 0-60, 0-100, etc. numbers as well.

Rather than attempt to get a group of us together at one of the standard RWYB days at Santa Pod, I reckon that it would be worth the extra investment to join (read - dominate) one of the less frequent 'Peak Performance' sessions they hold - much more track time, good preparation facilities and could create more of a 'club' atmosphere. Read more about it here: http://www.rwyb.co.uk/performance.php

If you haven't been drag racing, I can vouch for the fact that it's an absolute hoot - I was amazed by how 'into it' I got during my previous Pod visits. If we're to do it, I'd suggest Spring time, before the holiday season kicks in and to give more forumees time to get their cars/have their various mods applied. The dates I specifically had in mind were Saturday 4th April 2009 or Sunday 17th May 2009.

It's not particularly cheap, at circa £60 per head, but I'm convinced that if we could get approx 10 of us, represented by a variety of different cars and states of tune, it would end up being a fantastic day out and we'd get a wealth of performance data out of it.

The key is to get as many interested parties signed-up a.s.a.p. and then we could have a real presence and make it feel like more of a dedicated club event. Vote now and if enough folk come back with a declared interest and intention to pay for it up front, I reckon we should go for it and we'll then press 'go' on us registering ourselves for the chosen date.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sounds a Good day out to Me.... Dependant on date I'M IN :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
LOL, sorry couldn't help selecting the credit crunch one.

I can't book so early for that far in advanced just because of the way work can pull me away at anytime.

If it's booked now can it be cancelled at all if need be?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Saj, would be great if you could make it. I can't find anything on the site about refunds - I doubt they offer them on the basis that you don't turn up, but if we get enough bookings from our group, I'm sure I could at least persuade them to honour the booking for another event.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come along chaps, think about it, the first proper performance-oriented 5 meet - surely we can rustle-up some more genuine interest?

(Remember, if you're not in a position to commit to this (essentially by booking your place and spending your readies) then please don't vote for a date. Spaces are limited at each date and if we are to get all interested 5 owners in, we'll need to be booking in the next week or so.....)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
OK Ess... that's me in!

I've voted 17th May as it's near my birthday and now realised it's my 40th, so will likely be partying that day... so please ignore my May 17 vote and add one to the April vote! (God I'm such a pain!)

Ian.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Picked the April date but will be up for May if it goes that way.

Comon guys, let's see some more interest.

Thanks for starting this one off Ess :D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saturday, April 4th

Ok, looks like this is the chosen date. I'll be speaking to Santa Pod this week to get places arranged and currently it looks like me, Spinner and Ianhp1 will be there.

That's 3 S5s (and 2 Meteor grey ones which we know to be the fastest type), all re-mapped so would be great to have some stock S5s, 3.0ds, maybe some petrol As as well?

Any other interest? We'll likely be booking this week and I'll report back on the number of places remaining.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I would love to go, but I'm 99% sure I'll be away on both those dates.

Not sure why but I've seen a lot of A/S5's recently like 5+ a day over the xmas period here in Norfolk, really need to print off an A5OC flyer to get more of them on here.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ok, looks like this is the chosen date. I'll be speaking to Santa Pod this week to get places arranged and currently it looks like me, Spinner and Ianhp1 will be there.

That's 3 S5s (and 2 Meteor grey ones which we know to be the fastest type), all re-mapped so would be great to have some stock S5s, 3.0ds, maybe some petrol As as well?

Any other interest? We'll likely be booking this week and I'll report back on the number of places remaining.
...Of course, you realise we'll be the slowest there?

I get the impression that drag teams and professional outfits use these days for performance testing.

I can picture it now, lined up next to a top fuel dragster which does a sub 5 second 1/4 mile at 300 mph!

:eek:

·
Registered
80 Posts

I get the impression that drag teams and professional outfits use these days for performance testing.

I can picture it now, lined up next to a top fuel dragster which does a sub 5 second 1/4 mile at 300 mph!

I share your concern.... however.... count me in either day :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Guys count me in. Selected 4th..only because it is sooner...looking forward to it. When do we have to pay up?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Are any of you guys taking any Family with you ????

Hmmmmmm..... does post 2 not count then ?? :confused:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Are any of you guys taking any Family with you ????

Hmmmmmm..... does post 2 not count then ?? :confused:
Hi mate, Of cause it counts I suspect Ess just missed it, or maybe we just scared of the remapped TDI's :p

I wont be taking family, don't think they would appreciate.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, change of plan.......

I spoke with Santa Pod this morning and to Ian's point, there is indeed a likelihood that our cars will be up against some pretty fierce 'competition' on the 4th. So, my recommendation is that we switch to the 'normal' RWYB day on Sunday 5th April - that also means we don't have to commit ourselves by pre-booking (although I probably will to guarantee a place, and I'd recommend doing so to others...) and can take things a bit easier.

Still a great day out - and if we have similar numbers to those who expressed an interest in the 4th, I'll try to arrange an A5OC club space we can use as a paddock.

Sunday 5th April - any takers?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hi mate, Of cause it counts I suspect Ess just missed it, or maybe we just scared of the remapped TDI's :p

I wont be taking family, don't think they would appreciate.
LOL..... That must be it... Scared of the Torc !!!!!!!

A Happy and Prosperous new year to you Spinner !!!

My Wife would probably come if Others Were !!

How is your family and the New Arrival... All well i hope ??

1 - 20 of 126 Posts