Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On two separate occasions I've emerged from my back garden to the car park behind to find the car boot open. Obviously the key button must have been pushed in whilst in my trouser pocket. As I live in Manchester, this is not good. If I hadn't spotted this quickly:

• Scallies would have been in my car, and
  • Given our normal rainfall, I would have rapidly had an in-car pond.

Now the obvious answer is not to keep my key in my pocket when I'm in the garden, but can I check to see if anyone has any cleverer ideas? I'm not sure what, aside from using an in-trouser Faraday cage, but I'm open to ideas.

This never happened with my Beamer or with my VW van. I have to say it's a bit of an annoying design flaw. Is this a common Audi thing, or do I perhaps just have unusual trouser pocket related habits?

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 2 year old thinks its great that he can open the boot whilst looking through the front window!! Car keys now kept well out of reach.

Surprised it happens when in your pocket as it needs to be pressed for a good second - maybe there is a VAGCOM setting than can disable it or change the time it has to be pressed for. If so, you would hope a dealer would do this at service time as you've got a genuine problem which they should address is possible without charging you an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i wonder if you can open the boot when the valet button is activated. the button (at least in my US Spec S5) is located in the glove box. perhaps activating that will disallow opening the boot from the key - methinkst.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
It's happened to me on THREE occasions. Once was when I was in a very good area... I came out of my friend's house to find that my boot was wide open - could have been a very costly mistake because I leave all my camera gear in there.

Another time, car was parked outside my house. Now I live in a area which is notorious for crime. Had my key in my pocket again while I was upstairs, and I must have been bending down when the boot lid opened. Luckily my mate who was on his way over to my house noticed it opening.

And the other time, not the boot lid, but the windows. Obviously the button had been pressed in my pocket for a while, and on return to my car, the windows were down. Luckily nothing was stolen.

Bad design for a key in my opinion.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Valet mode keeps it from opening with the switches in the driver's door and trunk lid, as well. So if you keep valet mode on, you'd need to open the glove box to turn it off before you hit the door switch.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I actually really doubt there is such a thing as valet mode in European spec Audis...

At least the window feature you should be able to disable via MMIs CAR menu setup (was it comfort mode or something...), maybe the boot too? At least with VAG COM / at a service center...

·
Registered
750 Posts
I actually really doubt there is such a thing as valet mode in European spec Audis...

At least the window feature you should be able to disable via MMIs CAR menu setup (was it comfort mode or something...), maybe the boot too? At least with VAG COM / at a service center...
Just look in the 'glove box' there is a switch to enable "valet mode" (if it is in the Euro-specs).

Regarding the button getting pressed in the pocket...you guys are probably just wearing really tight jeans...:D

LOL!! J/K...seriously though, maybe a silly question, but have you tried one of your other keys/fobs? Just a thought...;)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just look in the 'glove box' there is a switch to enable "valet mode" (if it is in the Euro-specs).
I believe the only thing in the glove compartment in Euro-spec cars is the switch (turned with the key) to turn off front passenger airbag (standard in some countries at least). This has been my experience in the few different European countries I've driven Audis, but of course I can't speak for all countries.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Valet service seems quite rare in many parts of Europe. The one time I've had to use such a service I actually felt quite uncofortable handing my car to a complete stranger to drive...

Cultural differences, I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I would feel uncomfortable as well. My dad's XKR has a Valet feature. Works at the press of a button and is keyless... it uses a code for Valet Drivers to use when they take the car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We're not all that different. I don't really care for the idea either. I've let my car get parked by a stranger a few times before, and never liked the idea. Maybe it's because I volunteered to be a valet at a charity event once, and I remember what kind of abuse the cars took between the front door and the lot.

Part of me is uncomfortable with the aspect of not doing it myself. Part of me thinks it's a snotty, elitist thing to do. And the rest of me just doesn't have much opportunity because I don't frequent the types of places that do that. But if Taco Bell ever starts valet parking...we'll see.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Mine did it last Friday night! Looked out of the window and the car was sat there with its tail up.

Has anyone tried tinkering with the Central Locking > Bootlid/Tailgate option in the MMI/AIS menus?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts