Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight as I was returning a visiting friend back to his hotel in the S5, he announced he wasn't feeling well. I wasn't surprised, since he had been ill since we had eaten dinner at Chipotle. Since it was only 2 more miles until his exit and we were going about 75mph, I didn't worry.

As we neared the 1 mile mark, he yelped "Oh shi" and proceeded to vomit without warning. The first batch went only on his shirt, and he immediately rolled down the window and stuck his head out, letting it all go, and sending his glasses flying behind us never to be seen again. It was already too late to stop on the shoulder, so I decided to just make it to the hotel post-haste and survey the scene, which I assumed only affected the exterior.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. While there was a good amount vomit down the side of my car, some of it didn't make it out. A fair bit was around the seat belt, with a nice spray on the passenger side of the back seat. Some liquid dotted the headliner above. It's times like this I realize why people shouldn't own guns.

So it's 7am and I've been cleaning the S5 for nearly 7 hours. Luckily, I was able to act fast, cleaning off most of it while in the parking lot of the hotel as guests simultaneously gawked at the car and shared my pain.

An immediate trip to a touchless wash (gas station was dark, but the wash was on thankfully) cleaned the outside beautifully, and I returned home to begin work on the interior, buckets and cloths in hand. At 5am, I made a trip over to the grocery store to pick up some organic enzyme cleaner (which neutralizes the vomit and kills the odor, very handy).

Thankfully, it could have been worse. The back seat just needed a wipedown (thank you Zaino leather stuff) and while it was a hassle, the back window and headliner weren't too difficult to clean. No vomit hit the carpets, and the front seat was largely untouched except for a small dribble on the side. Most ended up on the headliner by the seatbelt and the plastic area on the door, making cleanup fairly easy with the right tools (primarily enzyme cleaner). I'm lucky the seats and floor were just fine. It doesn't even smell at all at the moment (although I'm worried about when it hits 100F today).

The bad side? Some vomit leaked down the inside of the door, since the window was down. I cleaned it as well as I could, but I'm going to schedule a service appointment Monday and have the dealer take apart the door to make sure absolutely no reside remains. I'm also going to replace the piece of the headliner around the seatbelt, and may have the dealer dismantle the seatbelt and clean it in the process. I'm considering replacing the entire roof headliner if it's not too expensive, just for piece of mind.

So, in the end, the S5 should be good as new. I'm not happy, but it could have been worse (vomit on the dash, MMI, etc.). And I learned my lesson: when someone says they are feeling sick, immediately stop and kick them out of the car. Oh, and never to eat Chipotle again.

One thing I should add: almost everyone I mentioned this to so far has responded with "Ewww." Normally, I would probably agree. But when your S5 (or A5) is in trouble, the thought never crosses your mind. The last thing I was thinking about was what I was cleaning or how gross the situation was, I just focused on what needed to get done.

Anyone find themselves in a similar situation and have any tips?

·
Registered
120 Posts
similar problem

I pooped my pants when I realized how awesome the A5 is.

It is at the dealer now for replacement of the headliner.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Why are YOU cleaning it?

You're a good man because I would have been pissed. Vomit isn't a surprise, and he should have asked you to pull over well in advance if he even thought for a second he was gonna puke.

And I ask again, why are YOU cleaning it up and not him????

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm pretty sure I would've lit the car on fire on the way home. On one hand I agree that your friend should have been doing the cleaning, but on the other hand NOBODY will clean your car as well as you do. I had a girl throw up when driving home from a party when I was in college, but luckily her head made it completely outside of the car and I only had to rinse the exterior.

I totally feel for you, but I do agree that it could have been much worse. I spilled pretzels all over the dash of my 6-week-old BMW 335i, and salt went into the defroster vents. At that point, I was happy it was a lease. ;)

I think you'll be fine since you started cleaning it immediately.

Trevor

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I ask again, why are YOU cleaning it up and not him????
Two reasons:

1) I wanted it cleaned immediately and he was still sick
2) I don't trust anyone else to clean it as well as I have :)

Thankfully nothing smells at all now, although I'll still get the dealership to clean the door and replace the seat belt column cover, just to be sure. I can't imagine what I would have done had it gone into the dash/vents.

From now on, I'm keeping a barf bag in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What is it about Chipotle?! I have never eaten there myself (and never will), but I know of two people who had the same reaction to their food.

As for the car, I feel so very sorry for you. If that happened to mine, as much as I love my A5, I think I would feel the need to sell it. In fact, I know a couple of people who have a tendency towards motion sickness. They will not be riding in my car -- ever!

Good luck with the rest of the clean up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow! Good story. This is not something I would have ever thought of. I think maybe I'll put some bags somewhere in the car whenever it shows up...you just never know. Just need to make sure that you can get to them fast!

Also, it could have been worse & been winter. Have you ever tried to clean frozen barf off of your paint? :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dang man, that sucks. I had a friend get spit on by a llama at one of those drive through safari places once. Hit hi square in the face, and got all over the seats, headliner, backseats, and inside of the Bronco I was driving at the time.
Although it was mess of alfalfa, spittle, llama feed, and fur, it was the funniest thing I've seen in my life. I was cracking up so hard when my friend looked at me with llama spit all over his head, I could hardly breathe.
Now if it was my new A5, I would have left him in the tiger cage....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would have rubbed his nose in it so he never does it again

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is it about Chipotle?! I have never eaten there myself (and never will), but I know of two people who had the same reaction to their food.

As for the car, I feel so very sorry for you. If that happened to mine, as much as I love my A5, I think I would feel the need to sell it. In fact, I know a couple of people who have a tendency towards motion sickness. They will not be riding in my car -- ever!

Good luck with the rest of the clean up.
It's the combination of white rice (yes in a burrito) and gamey rat meat. Oh yah, and iceberg lettuce. Authentic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In college, I had a friend projectile vomit all over the dashboard... and he was sitting in the back seat! Good thing he only had lettuce for dinner. I sold the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like you did a good job on the clean-up.

I had a workmate spill half a cup of tea into the dash of a BMW I owned.

I had 2 fruit & yogurt juices on the passenger seat of the same BMW when a numpty in a passat pulled out in front of me. Had to brake hard, juice all over carpet, seat and dash. Tackled it straight away and got it all out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had 2 fruit & yogurt juices on the passenger seat of the same BMW when a numpty in a passat pulled out in front of me. Had to brake hard, juice all over carpet, seat and dash. Tackled it straight away and got it all out.
What the heck is a "numpty"???

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
lol at the above.

Feel for you Nate, simular thing happened to me after picking up a friend who was stuck in the city near me completely drunk at 4 in the morning on a freezing cold extremely foggy night. Took me 45mins - 1hour to travel 15miles it was that foggy. Picked my friend up and exiting the dual carriage way heard him making some weird noises and as I was concentrating so hard on the road ahead as there was literally 2 metres visibility, you couldnt even see the road markings. When I eventually looked over he had his hands over his mouth throwing up, he did his best to hold it in but inevitably it ended up all over the place.

·
Registered
643 Posts
my roommate *almost* threw up in my previous car (Acura TSX / Euro Accord). we'd been drinking the night before, he still had it in his system but wasn't sure he'd be throwing up. we went to pick up some food for lunch, he downed a whole bottle of water, and the way back to our house he knewwwww it was coming. literally 100yds from the house, already in the residential area, he's covering his mouth holding it back, i didn't know whether to drive as smoothly as possible or as quickly as possible, but made it JUST in time. i'm pulling into the driveway, my friend's opening the door and unbuckling his seatbelt at the same time, jumps out of the car just as i stop and lets it ALL out from his knees. he later commended me for my driving :D

too close a call, though. i loved that car. would not want it to ever happen in my A5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nate

When it's your baby you do what needs to be done to get the job done. :) I would not have trusted anyone else to do the job as well.
Well done buddy! I would have done the same thing.

I cringed reading your post :eek:

(I'm seriously contemplating getting an A5/S5, just trying to figure out how I'm going to fit my newborn, 3months old, in the backseat with her car-seat ;). Maybe I'm just asking for trouble...projectile vomit and poop )

·
Registered
46 Posts
(I'm seriously contemplating getting an A5/S5, just trying to figure out how I'm going to fit my newborn, 3months old, in the backseat with her car-seat ;). Maybe I'm just asking for trouble...projectile vomit and poop )
It can be done no problem (relatively). We generally use the wife's car for the family outings. I have had the baby in the A5 though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my previous car (Merc C200k) at 3 weeks, I had a colleague who passed out in the passenger seat on the way home, made some really bad sounding gurgling (sp?) noises- and a dry heave or two. I thought he was going to die or have a siezure.

Pullled into the garage- opened his door- he wasnt responding at first- I grew even more concerned - then he awoke much to my relief.

Only to then see he was relieved himself- all over my leather seats.

Man I was pissed off (no pun intended). Thank the heaven the seats were leather an could be washed down rapidly!

Yes, he still gets SIGNIFICANT grief from me over it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts