Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had this secret wish that Audi (or its supplier) would make a version of the S-line rear valance with cutouts for quad exhaust tips as found on the S5. Compared to the S-line rear valance, the S5's valance is a little plain IMO. Admittedly, I do like the aluminum colored center section that the S5's valance has, but the surrounding dark gray plastic part is kinda blah. So, if an S-line valance were available with cutouts for quad tips, I just might be willing to give it a try.

It's interesting that they make a version for the A5 1.8T and 2.0T with a cutout for dual exhaust tips on the left side only. (See second photo attached.) Obviously it wouldn't be that difficult for the supplier to make a version of that valance with quad exhaust tips cutouts, since it would just be a mirror image of the left side cutouts.

The first photo below is my attempt at a Photoshop version of the S-line valance with cutouts for quad tips.

Anyone else think this would look good on the S5 (if it were available)?

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree, It doesn't make sense that they don't make an s-line valence for the s5. btw that photoshop is well done ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Very nice TX, Thats the one part of my car that I like over the S5! I want a new exhaust thats louder than stock, but without changing out my rear valance.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Nice job TX, I'd like a more exciting looking rear valance on my S5.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree 100%, photoshop work looks great!

There are a number of things that really shit me about the S5 bodywork compared to the S-Line and (probably) the RS5.

1. Use of the very non-charismatic, nothing grey on the front grill and rear valence
2. The pretty vertical chrome strips of the front grill are broken up by the HUGE plate holder bulk head in that same repulsive shade of grey
3. We have a pretty solid idea that the RS5 will have a neat and tidy one-piece mesh grill that the plate will attach to, no ridiculous bulk head. (see latest RS6 grill and RS5 spy shots at Nurburgring). Why Can't the S5 have continuous vertical chrome strips?
3. The S5 rear valence isn't as sporty as the S-Line rear valence. Where's the mesh? And what's wrong with painting all the nothing grey parts in matte black?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was under the impression that you could use quad tips with the s-line rear valence. I recall a member here who installed a stasis exhaust on his A5 mentioned that Stasis told them that the A5 s-line would work, but the regular A5 valence wouldn't. So, you might be able to get away with it.

How about a CF piece from GMG or Reiger? any takers?
Sizzle/Alwin/SupraBlur, what did you think of the CF piece on the GMG car?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was under the impression that you could use quad tips with the s-line rear valence. I recall a member here who installed a stasis exhaust on his A5 mentioned that Stasis told them that the A5 s-line would work, but the regular A5 valence wouldn't.
Not true.

You're probably thinking of the discussion about the fact that you can install the S5's rear valance on an A5 S-line bumper, thus allowing quad tips to be fitted on an S-line (since the S5 and S-line share the same rear bumper cover). However, there currently is no A5 S-line model that has cutouts for quad tips. The valance on the 3.2 petrol and 3.0 TDI S-line models only have cutouts for single tips on the left/right side; and as mentioned above, the 1.8T and 2.0T S-line models only have cutouts for dual exhausts on the left side.

And for the record, I'm not a fan of the CF look on the S5's exterior.

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks promising, but...

just saw this on the senner tuning website......
While it's not the S-line rear valance, it's very promising that they've developed an aftermarket valance with a quad cutout. Senner has essentially created an alternative version of the valance found on the non S-line A5, which would mount to a regular A5 bumper cover. However, that version would not fit on the S-line or the S5's bumper cover since those bumper covers are slightly different than a regular A5's bumper cover. Hopefully, Senner has an S-line version of the valance with quad cutouts in the works! The one you posted is kinda plain IMO, and doesn't compare to the good looks of the S-line valance with its mesh center piece. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've seen that piece before and I don't think it was Senner. My memory is vague, but JMS comes to mind.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, you're probably right. When I was checking Senner's site shortly after typing my reply, I noticed they sell exterior trim pieces made by various companies (including JMS).

·
Registered
371 Posts
The photoshop pic looks more like an RS style car. Looks really good.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I like it, but I think it would not be worth the money since you will need an exhaust that will go with it.
I think he's referring to doing it on an S5 so that it matches the factory (or S5 aftermarket) exhaust path.

Honestly it wouldn't be that hard to take a 3.2 S-Line rear valance and have a good fabricator modify the single-tip holes to double-tip width. It would probably cost a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly it wouldn't be that hard to take a 3.2 S-Line rear valance and have a good fabricator modify the single-tip holes to double-tip width.
Yeah, I had thought about that before. But, there's not enough room on the 3.2 S-line valance to have cutouts for quad tips. The center mesh piece is too wide for that. (See attached.) A fabricator would need to use a 1.8T valance (like I posted above) as a starting point, since that version does provide room on either side of the mesh piece for quad tips. However, the problem is that there is a subtle ridge that runs along the top of the cutouts. So, I don't see how a fabricator would be able to just cut out the holes and still make it look like a factory piece. Seems like the plastic would need to molded that way from the start in order to look right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yeah, I had thought about that before. But, there's not enough room on the 3.2 S-line valance to have cutouts for quad tips. The center mesh piece is too wide for that. (See attached.) A fabricator would need to use a 1.8T valance (like I posted above) as a starting point, since that version does provide room on either side of the mesh piece for quad tips. However, the problem is that there is a subtle ridge that runs along the top of the cutouts. So, I don't see how a fabricator would be able to just cut out the holes and still make it look like a factory piece. Seems like the plastic would need to molded that way from the start in order to look right.
I think it's just an illusion (see attached). I have dabbled in fiberglass, if it were me I would make a mold out of the stock S5 valance cutouts just to get the right size, cut out the entire area up to the mesh on the S-Line valance, and then make a fiberglass piece to 'fit' into the area. Mold and paint (probably wouldn't be too difficult to make that 'lip' around the cutout if you wanted it). I might do it if I ever bother to acquire an S-Line valance.

Actually at that point, if you were happy with the results, you could make an mold out of the entire new assembly and then use that mold to make the whole thing out of carbon fiber. If only I wasn't too busy, this would be a definite project; my friend who owns a Fiberglass/CF fab shop has been bugging me for design ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think it's just an illusion (see attached). I have dabbled in fiberglass, if it were me I would make a mold out of the stock S5 valance cutouts just to get the right size, cut out the entire area up to the mesh on the S-Line valance, and then make a fiberglass piece to 'fit' into the area. Mold and paint (probably wouldn't be too difficult to make that 'lip' around the cutout if you wanted it). I might do it if I ever bother to acquire an S-Line valance.

Actually at that point, if you were happy with the results, you could make an mold out of the entire new assembly and then use that mold to make the whole thing out of carbon fiber. If only I wasn't too busy, this would be a definite project; my friend who owns a Fiberglass/CF fab shop has been bugging me for design ideas.

Supra-- If I end up getting an S5 Valence when I slap on my StaSIS Exhaust, I'll toss you my S-Line Valence if you wanna give it a go. Or If you've got a S5 Valence lying around I'll swap with ya.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I've always had this secret wish that Audi (or its supplier) would make a version of the S-line rear valance with cutouts for quad exhaust tips as found on the S5.

It's interesting that they make a version for the A5 1.8T and 2.0T with a cutout for dual exhaust tips on the left side only. (See second photo attached.) Obviously it wouldn't be that difficult for the supplier to make a version of that valance with quad exhaust tips cutouts, since it would just be a mirror image of the left side cutouts.

Anyone else think this would look good on the S5 (if it were available)?
TX, Im glad you brought that up!
I have thought about that for quite some time now, and I think its a beautiful idea!

The one thing that concerns me is the width of the pocket hole on the 2.0T S -line valance. It is wide enough to fit two 84mm diameter pipes, how about wider pipes?

Does anyone know how wide the already existing S -line chromed exhaust tips are on the 2.0T?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Someone has done it (I think?)

Check out the rear valence on the A5 below, it looks like he's got an A5 3.2 rear valence modified to accommodate twin pipes on each side.

I've contacted him and am awaiting a reply as to what he's done.

Has anyone heard of a new OEM rear valence?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Quattro Joe,

That A5 looks great!
It also seems like he painted the s-line rear valane black which in my opinion looks superb.

Here are some pics of an A5 with s -line rear valance and wider tips than stock that look pretty good.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts