Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need a little help. I have a Meteor Grey S5 on order, which I placed through a dealer allocated vehicle in October, coming in late February. I saw one of the first demo cars in Miami in the Meteor Grey and fell in love with the way the car looks.

However, all of this waiting and going to dealerships has got me all excited about the RS4. So much so that I made the mistake of test driving one. I took it out for over half and hour by myself--they have my deposit on the S5 so I guess I could drive whatever I want? The RS4 is amazing. The engine winds up quite a bit more than the S5, and the ride was firmer. Also, the sound is throatier and more substantial.

I have been asking EVERYONE for their opinions, because I am truly stuck. I love both cars for different reasons.

S5: Beauty inside and out. Price, about $14K less. Newer cabin tech.
RS4: Performance. Engineering. ALWAYS WANTED ONE.

I think I prefer racier over GT, which puts me in the RS4, but the S5 is a newer style with newer tech, which I also place value on...

Any opinions, especially from those who have driven or owned both appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I've driven the RS4 cabrio quite a bit, a mate of mine has one. The only thing is the RS4 saloon and cabrio handle very differently. I did notice the ride was much firmer and it is obviously a lot quicker and does fly up the revs much quicker too.

Just a note: Stay away from the RS4 cabrio if driving is your thing, on the bumbs it can very easily loose traction and it just doesn't feel grounded enough. The big plus of the cabrio is that you get to hear that V8 howl in all its glory :)

However I had the thought of buying the RS4 saloon 2nd hand as they can be had for around £45,000 here in the UK some even cheaper but to be honest the styling of the S5 is what made me stick with it and the fact its just a newer car.

On normal roads the RS4's extra power isn't going to be that much more use anyway, I've had a little race in a 3.2v6 TT against the RS4 and reallly the only place he got away was when it was a long straight and even at that by the time he got to the next corner I was right behind him again (yes the driver makes a big difference, i know, but i'm nothing special either).

I plan to make a few mods to my car to bring it closer to the RS4 in terms of how it handles and performs. New exhaust with sports cat (get a better sound and the engine should rev more easily) with a re-map (hoping for 380bhp) and lowered suspension with a little adjustment of the geometery to try and get less understeer and hopefully some mild oversteer - should do the trick for me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
IMO if you want a 420bhp car which is beautiful and very fast i would say the the BMW M3 is the better choice.
IMO again the RS4 is an old model now while the S5 is far more beautiful so if you want u can try and search for some mods to put on the S5 and tune it's engine :)
thats my opinion :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
IMO if you want a 420bhp car which is beautiful and very fast i would say the the BMW M3 is the better choice.
IMO again the RS4 is an old model now while the S5 is far more beautiful so if you want u can try and search for some mods to put on the S5 and tune it's engine :)
thats my opinion :)
Yeh M3 is another very good choice, only thing is just can't get past that crap interior when paying £50,000 for the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
grendel88, I'm fortunate enough to have both, (RS4 Avant and S5). The 2 cars are very different in character. The S5 is really nice. It drives like a GT tourer and is quick and very smooth. The acceleration is very linear with no real kick so you pile on the speed without really realising. The technology and interior are a leap forward from the RS4. The MMI is excellent and the fit and quality as you'd expect. The RS4 is much more raw and alive. The exhaust note from inside the cabin is louder (externally the RS4 and S5 sound similar) as the S5 cabin is better insulated, and under hard accelaration the RS4 engine kicks at around 5,250 rpm and powers to the redline, which becomes quite addictive when conditions allow. The handling and cornering is way superior to the S5 (I've got Sport Suspension +) with minimal pitch or roll. The S5 in comparison is quite wollowy(?). It's a tough choice to make between the 2 as I like both.

For a quick cross country thrash it's the RS4 that i'd choose, but I'd take the S5 for a long motorway drive or city drive. It very much depends upon how you drive and on what type or roa

·
Registered
677 Posts
It drives like a GT tourer and is quick and very smooth. The acceleration is very linear with no real kick so you pile on the speed without really realising.
You can say that again. The first time I drove the car. I was well north of the posted speed limit without any realization.

I also had this tough choice of RS4 vs. S5. For me coming out of a modified STi I wanted more refinement. The limited times I was able to use the power let me know that it is mainly bragging rights as here in the states you can rarely use it. The newer chassis, interior and technology won me over to the S5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all of your great comments. Yeah, I like the S5 a lot, but you know as we all were getting into cars and made our "lists", Supra, RX7, M3, 911, Corvette, Aston Martin, etc...well, the S4 was always on mine. I like the new M3, but availability is going to be stupid in CA, summer with dealer markups. I love the GTR, but again summer with probably even more stupid dealer markups.

The car will be a lease anyway so in 3 years, I can get whatever new is coming out. The lease rates for both cars are kinda crappy, but my company covers a large portion my lease anyway.

I have always had and preferred stiffer cars, Integra GSR, S2000, E46 M3 so that's why I prefer the feel of the RS4.

Yeah, the old tech and old model bothers me a bit...

Thanks again for all of the input.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You could always go with a two year lease on the RS4 (used even) while you wait for the RS5 to arrive in about 2 years. Then you will get the power you crave and the styling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I backed out on a Phantom Black RS4 with Titanium package, and held on to my S5 order, which is due in at the end of next month. There are just too many cars in the $70K range out later this year: M3, GTR, etc.

3 year lease on my S5, GTR or RS5 on the turn-in. Both cars should be available by then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again guys for the opinions...switched to an RS4 instead: Sprint Blue with the Titanium package. In the end, I did not want a GT touring type of ride. I love the looks and the tech of the S5, but the RS4 held a real soft spot in my heart. I pick up the car tomorrow!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks again guys for the opinions...switched to an RS4 instead: Sprint Blue with the Titanium package. In the end, I did not want a GT touring type of ride. I love the looks and the tech of the S5, but the RS4 held a real soft spot in my heart. I pick up the car tomorrow!
i know exactly what u mean. although i love my S5 and it fits e perfectly.

the rs4 sounds sooo damn good and the red line at 8250rpm is just mouthwatering. good choice with either car but good you went with your heart

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, the higher revving engine was what swayed me. Kinda like my old S2000. I am sure the M3 will be nice, but seriously, waiting and paying for it was something I did not want to do. People over on the M3 boards think this car will be under $60K...inflation...price of Euro...forgot about it...$70K easy without dealer markups, and who knows when the sedan will really show up.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I know what you're feeling grandel. I love the S5, but everytime I go to the dealer, I look at the S5 for a bit and this invisible force pushes me to the RS4. I can't help it. It's love i guess :).

This is the 2nd time I say this in this forum, if that money difference is not a BIG problem, RS4 all the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I don't want to sound like a d*ck, but when you are looking a almost $60K cars $10K is not a huge jump. Trust me, I spent weeks and weeks thinking about making that jump. I know that there are people that make their car their big joy and spend accordingly, but $10K is a lot of money for even those that make $100K or more a year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.