Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am deciding between S5 and the new M3. I really like the look of the S5 but it have less power than M3. I don't know what I should pick. Any idea???

G

·
I am deciding between S5 and the new M3. I really like the look of the S5 but it have less power than M3. I don't know what I should pick. Any idea???
Had the exact same choice. Coming out of an M3 SMG Convertable. From the pictures i really hated the way the new M3 looked, haven't seen it in the flesh yet. Yes it has more power, but it won't be a considerable amount more, but, am i right i thinking a decent spec new M3 will be £55 ish ?? If so thats nearly £10k over my well spec'd S5. You don't get £10k more in the M3 than the S5.

M3 is more of a hooligan, handful and will give you more enjoyment on dry roads and on the track.

S5 im my opinion will be the better bet in all other situations. My last M3 was a pig in wet and tricky conditions.

Audi service has so far been very good, but not yet had to deal with the servicing side of things. BMW were ok, but their parts prices were stupid. The new M3 will be very expensive to run. S5 Servicing costs im guessing will be 50% of those of the M3.

I did hate the stupid noise the old M3 made, very tinny !!!

Hope that helps

G

·
True, but let us hope it is less than 3 years and certainly not ever.
We know RS6 is next, then probably RS3 (What a rocket that will be, might have to get one of those), then do Audi do the RS5 or would they like to re-launch the new RS4 into a very very strong established market. I doubt there will ever be an RS8, as thats just doesn't make much sense to me/

·
Registered
275 Posts
The M3 has more power and more driver performance - the fact that you are still considering the S5 hints that you probably like it better for all the rest, and that is important in itself. >You won't miss the performance difference much if you buy an S5, but you'll be drooling and regretting you didn't buy that hot elegant, distinguished S5 that might by not quite as quick, if you buy an M3 - considering what you're looking at, screw performance and follow your heart.

I think the S5 is a far sexier car - that's why i chose it over the BMW ( it is slightly better than the 335, and slightly under the M" in terms of performance since that's what everybody loves saying, but so much cooler than both the way it sits on it's wheels).....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Saw an M3 today and to be honest, it didn't look the money. In fact the driver couldn't stop looking at my newly collected Audi lol. I bet he's sick..

·
Registered
275 Posts
...exactly what i meant above... ican believe your experience happening more than once!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have had a number of BMWs and they make some great cars, but have no sense of style. Why did Audi ask an Italian ? because the Germans are boring and have no idea.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had a number of BMWs and they make some great cars, but have no sense of style. Why did Audi ask an Italian ? because the Germans are boring and have no idea.
I thought he was Brazilian or Argentinean, no?

·
Registered
493 Posts
The designer of the A5/S5 is italian :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

was on the presentation of the M3 yesterday, and yes, the hell I am very happy to haven chosen the S5. It looks better (much better even), the M3 looks like a "pimped" 330 coupe honnestly, really disapointed.

And for 10.000 Euro more, no the interior looks nearly exactly as the usual BMW ones, nothing exiting over there.

Driving, well had the E46 M3 for 3 years, was fun, driving, but the sound was shitty, especially when cold (like the exhaust was broken).

Don't have the S5 yet, but remembering the test drive, great sound, 4wheel great, okay M3 rear make fun, i guess it is more reactive to throttle.

But look 100% for the audi, interior 100% also audi, driving fun, well has to be confirmed.

Anyhow I will have a testdrive with the M3 soon, so I can judge, but I will not buy one

·
Registered
23 Posts
We all buy cars based on what we're looking for in a car. If what you're looking for is H/P and pure ability on the track, then it's clear that the M3 will be faster. But, if you do not track the car every weeknd, and you're instead looking for a car that is refined, with a very ample and capable chassis and engine, then it will make sense to compare these two cars.

If you measure them against each other, you'll now have to look at where you live, and how you drive. If you are ever driving in the rain, and you have only one car, then the clear choice will probably the S5. I can't imagine trying to drive an M3 in the rain. It does not sound very safe.

So, if you can refine your list of what is important to you, then you can make up your own mind, and do so with a clear head. To ask this question to others is a great way of gathering opinions, and different lists of what people care about, but it's not an especially good way to answer the question.

Use the force, and write down what is most important to you. Here are a few suggestions of what to look at and compare.

1) Straight line speed or speed on a road coarse
2) Aesthetics
3) Sophistication and electronics within the cockpit
4) Color choices
5) Gas Milage
6) Access to a good, local dealer
7) Brand loyalty and enthusiasm
8) What are you going to do with the car (Daily driver, track car, both?)
9) How often do you track it?
10) Cost
11) Ability to purchase after market parts for the car (body kits, turbo, etc.)
12) How many people do you need to carry in the car
13) What kind of, and how often do you take trips in the car?
14) Road noise? - Do you take cell phone calls from the car?

Good luck in your choice. It's a good problem to have!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I currently own an 18 month old M3CS. Its a great car, and I love it. However to say I am disserpointed with the E92 M£ is an understatement. Went to the official launch a couple of weeks ago with my 12 year old son, and we were very underwhelmed. As a previous poss stated the M3 is 10k over a well specd S5, and there definately isnt 10ks worth of fun, looks, performance, and quality in the M3.

Hence I am a convert and want an S5, but will hang on for a RS5.... Intend to test drive a S5 next week as we have a a Audi dealer right opposit where I am currently working.

Oh mighty Audi marketing peeps, please release a RS5 in 2009 or before cos i want one badly:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you track, then M3. If not, the S5 seems to be the choice ride. For me, the M3's 8250 RPM to get to the 414 lbs is not a daily driver. The torque comes in late as well. So, you will need to spend time high in the RPM. Now, if you compare the HP and torque curves for both cars, the S5 has the advantage in both untill the 7000 to 8000 RPM area (which the S5 can't get to). So, driving around town and on the open road, my thought is the cars will have almost the same performance "feel". I wouldn't mind pulling up to a stop light against a M3 and knowing that I could probably beat it unless the M3 driver knows how to get up to 8250 and manage it. Am I in the ballpark?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you track, then M3. If not, the S5 seems to be the choice ride. For me, the M3's 8250 RPM to get to the 414 lbs is not a daily driver. The torque comes in late as well. So, you will need to spend time high in the RPM. Now, if you compare the HP and torque curves for both cars, the S5 has the advantage in both untill the 7000 to 8000 RPM area (which the S5 can't get to). So, driving around town and on the open road, my thought is the cars will have almost the same performance "feel". I wouldn't mind pulling up to a stop light against a M3 and knowing that I could probably beat it unless the M3 driver knows how to get up to 8250 and manage it. Am I in the ballpark?

By the time the M3 owner gets the car ready by pushing all those performance buttons or going through the I-drive, you'll have mashed the gas and be through the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Guys

I am testing an S5 this morning at 12.00. Not really ready to part with the M3yet (big building project at home) but keen to get a comparrison against my CS. Will report back with my commente later, but I am sure its going to be far better than the CS!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I cancelled my E92 M3 for the S5. :D

For the simple reason, I didnt think it had £10k worth of performance and fun edge over the S5

·
Registered
40 Posts
I cancelled my E92 M3 for the S5. :D

For the simple reason, I didnt think it had £10k worth of performance and fun edge over the S5
Cool, and I can see many people doing this, as I completly agree with your ststement:D

Didnt get the test drive today, asn I had to cancel at the last minuet to to a work issue. However, all booked for tomorrow at 12.00:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts