Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what other cars people have considered before they bought their S5? I am looking at a used 06 or higher 997 porsche 911 as well as a used Mercedes S550. I know the Porsche doesnt have any storage space and the S550 is a sedan, but just curious what other people are considering in the price range of an S5.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The GT-r isnt very sexy and with all the problems with the launch control and it being eliminated from future cars, it will not produce clsoe to the numbers that they advertised with the launch control.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was considering RS4, GTR, e92 M3, used M5, used M6. RS4- Didn't like the old audi interiors compared to the new ones. M3/M5/M6- decided I needed AWD. GTR- To many problems, and regardless numbers I can't justify spending 80-90 g's on a Nissan. Plus the problems, and coming from an STi, I'm done with Japanese "toy cars"

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rs4 and GtrR - same reason as you, M5/M6 the interior sucks and they dont distinguish themsleves from 5/6 series enough for the premium. M3, crappy interior and seats were uncomfy for me. 911 isnt as practical, but hey its a porsche. S550 is a hot, but not sure i want a large sedan at 36, maybe at 56 :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was considering a few, somewhat disparate options. 335i/M3, E55 AMG (pre-owned), Jag XK and XF. Lots of variety, 2 seats, 4 seats, sedans and coupes....

First elimated 2 seats, as my wife would have killed me if I couldn't take the kids along when necessary.

Liked the ride but not the interiors of the BMWs, and quite honestly they're just overexposed.

E55 is a great car, and Jag XF is fairly nice and powerful, particularly for a sedan.

In the end, I've been happy with Audis, I love their new designs both outside and in. The S5 simply looks and performs great. Has the back seat I need while maintaining the sportiness I want.

Now I just have to survive the 2-3 weeks longer until it arrives!

·
Registered
15 Posts
M5/M6 the interior sucks and they dont distinguish themsleves from 5/6 series enough for the premium.

THANK YOU!!! I sat in a 650i and thought, "you know, this is the same frikkin interior as a 3 series. What am I paying for?"

*Disclaimer* I haven't bought an S5 yet, however. I'm still trying to decide between an S5, S6, or A6. Need 4 doors perhaps, BMW styling is ugly, Mercedes reliability is poor.

But, the one thing I will say for BMW is they seem to have such a HUGE following and support system. I have a subscription to Roundel/BMWCCA membership (I wanted the discount if I bought a Bimmer) and the magazine has an outstanding maintenance/what's wrong with my bimmer section. Likewise, websites like Bimmerfest have a huge membership and support for folks that want to mod their cars or keep them past 100K miles.

Unfortunately for me, I keep my cars for a long time, and I'm slowly coming to the realization that if I want a luxury performance sedan the best thing I can do for myself is get a car with as few electronic gizmos as possible. Kind of takes a certain amount of "luxury" out of the equation. Which is a shame. I like buttons and gizmos... and especially V8 engines. :)

So does Audi have anything like Roundel or Bimmerfest? There's a few forums out there for "all Audis" but they don't seem to have the same fanatical following as BMWs do. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
The GT-r isnt very sexy and with all the problems with the launch control and it being eliminated from future cars, it will not produce clsoe to the numbers that they advertised with the launch control.

The GT-R can still do very close to it's times without laugh control, but if something like that (straight line speed) really matters why consider the S5 when it is so much slower than the GT-R?

The point of the GT-R is that nothing for the same money comes close to it, yes there are faster cars but I could buy a vette and dump 300 bhp of nitrous into it and it would be much faster.

Not sure about what it's like from where you are but a used E92 M3 is a bargin here in the UK, and if I was looking for a car it would be that as it has the right blend of everything the only thing with it is that it doesn't really look anything special.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My requirments:

1. 300+ HP
2. Manual Transmission
3. 4WD
4. Comfort (6'4" 220lbs)
5. Folding Rear seats with a good trunk (I hate having to use someone elses car for a Home Depot Run)
6. Technology (Bluetooth, Camera, Advanced Key)

Preferences:
1. 2 Doors
2. Used Car
3. Interior Appeal

My list was short. I looked at a used 911 very seriously, but the luggage got me. For me the S5 is the most practical daily driver where you can be both productive and have lots of fun while doing it.

335xi bored me
Mercedes didn't have manuals
Lexus IS-F had no Manaul and felt small
New M3 looked ridiculous, too expensive
Used S4 didn't do it for me
Cayman had 2 seats
911 C4 or C4S were cool, had lots of potential for aftermarket tech, and great looks and performance, but barely practical.
CTS-V was RWD
G37 was RWD
135i was cool, but RWD
S6 was too big and outside the 60k price cap
Corvette was powerful but not practical for a daily driver and RWD
IS350 was RWD only
LEXUS SC looked like a girls ride, no manual

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey number, how did you fit in the cayman? I was looking at that too, but since im 6'4" 260, it was waaaaaaay to small because of the mid engine. Even the corvette felt a lil bigger than the cayman, how did you fit in the cayman?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Pardon for not having S5, but A5, I, still, would like to contribute. :)
I almost bought myself a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 - I always wanted that car ever since it came out. Unfortunately due to some circumstances I didn't get it and being upset stopped looking at any cars.

One day I went to Audi showroom with absolutely no expectations or plans for getting a car and when I came in I saw Audi A5 between all these "boring" A6's, Allroad's and whatnot. I liked the car a lot and when I sat in it, I knew it is going to be my car.

Price was not that much of an issue for me, so I went right to the salesperson and demanded a list of cars available for immediate delivery. Of course I wanted S5 and of course I was being told that they don't have any and it I order, I would have to wait around 6-8 moths. I said to myself; "No way I am waiting that long!".

Afterwards I saw the list and most of cars were 2.7TDI with multitronic and 3.0TDI with manual. I read the specs of 3.0TDI and said to myself; "Why not to have this car, afterwards it does look almost same as S5, according to times it also seems to be very fast, I will give it a try."

That was it. Now I am driving my A5 and very very only thing that really makes me sometimes regret is the SOUND. Still, consumption makes me always smile and performance is good for me.

Indeed, there is one thing, that I will know for the next time. Buy ONLY:
- V8, +400BHP
- no manual (a lot of city driving)
- NO DIESEL.

Even though this diesel engine was declared to be one of the best few in the world, my heart still wants a petrol engine. Before A5 I was driving petrol V8, after A5 I will be driving petrol V8 again.

End of my story.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
- Second-hand 911 or Cayman S
- E92 335i/M3
- Lexus IS-F
- E39 M5
- Acura NSX
- Merc CL55 AMG

In the end, couldn't beat the styling, comfort, uniqueness, and basically the overall package you get with the S5. Almost pulled the trigger on the NSX, but it just isn't practical -- if your girl ever wears a skirt, she basically flashes everyone when she gets in and out of the car. Plus for a car that looks that exotic, it sure doesn't get up and go like you'd expect. Everything else had too much 'boring' factor.

S5 is a good fit for me. I like 6MT, good comfort, reasonable power, and fancy lighting.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was dead set on the S5. I waited 9 months and 2 days for it. However, 2 weeks prior to delivery, I decided to take an M3 for a spin just to make sure that I was getting the right car. After that drive, I was totally torn on whether to stay with the S5 or order an M3. IMHO, the M3's interior was awesome (ultra-soft leather with extended leather that had stitching on the dashboard). The technology on the M3 was superior to the S5: Dual Clutch Transmission, Electronic Damping Control (similar to drive select), 3D Nav with hard drive, and BMW assist that lets you send emails to your own car. However, the M3 didn't have the low-end torque of the S5 and even in its softest EDC setting, the ride was a bit stiff. I think the S5 makes a better daily driver (for my needs anyways); however, if I was to do it again, I would still have a hard time deciding on one over the other. In contrast, the 335i is like a glorified Honda Civic, which is why I never really gave the M3 a chance. After looking closely though, I can tell that the M3 is an entirely different machine and not just a 335 with a V8.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I was dead set on the S5. I waited 9 months and 2 days for it. However, 2 weeks prior to delivery, I decided to take an M3 for a spin just to make sure that I was getting the right car. After that drive, I was totally torn on whether to stay with the S5 or order an M3. IMHO, the M3's interior was awesome (ultra-soft leather with extended leather that had stitching on the dashboard). The technology on the M3 was superior to the S5: Dual Clutch Transmission, Electronic Damping Control (similar to drive select), 3D Nav with hard drive, and BMW assist that lets you send emails to your own car. However, the M3 didn't have the low-end torque of the S5 and even in its softest EDC setting, the ride was a bit stiff. I think the S5 makes a better daily driver (for my needs anyways); however, if I was to do it again, I would still have a hard time deciding on one over the other. In contrast, the 335i is like a glorified Honda Civic, which is why I never really gave the M3 a chance. After looking closely though, I can tell that the M3 is an entirely different machine and not just a 335 with a V8.
I hear you on everything about the M3 except for the interior -- I didn't think it even remotely compared. Nonetheless if one is willing to sacrifice the comfort-factor and being unique, the M3 coupe would be an awesome buy. At the time I was looking, there was 0.9% financing available, so the price difference was negligable.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
911TT, C4S, R8, used F-car, M3, M5, AMV8. GT-R didn't make the list, and I just can't do a Vette, despite the asskicking qualities of the Z06. Decided on the S5 because of 1) incoming baby; and 2) incoming economic typhoon (decided it wasn't the right time to stretch up so far as the other cars in the list). Oh, and obviously because it's f'n gorgeous, I'm an Audi brandwhore, the quality is fantastic, and it performs well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was about 2 weeks away from canceling my way-too long awaited S5 (9+ months) and order a 2009 911 Carrera.

I still wanted the S5, but the lack of information from Audi on the order left me with almost no choice. But the, Audi finally confirmed the delivery date and I took the S5.

No real regrets. Would still love to have the 911 too. No MB no B**

·
Registered
491 Posts
the 2009 911 looks great IRL and i would love to try out that new PDK transmission they came out with

·
Registered
53 Posts
the 2009 911 looks great IRL and i would love to try out that new PDK transmission they came out with
Still kicking around a 09 PDK Carrera myself. Hope to give it a drive next week or two....will report back. But even Carrera with PDK going to be mid $80k's although as fast as 06-08 Carrera S.... only real reason to get new Carrera versus used Carrera S would be PDK that I can see. Exterior changes minimal except lights. Could get a used Carrera S that has a bit more on it for quite a bit cheaper.

Probably will stay with the S5 as it does everything well (Porsche does not but does a few things outstanding) but if I'm happier with new Carrera I will go that route. PDK may be the swing. Want to make sure I really want to keep the S5 before I get into any modding on it. (didn't buy it new so if trade in for Carrera not a big hit on the S5)

Also heavily considered E92 M3 (came from a 335i)....couldn't justify the money on the car...just think interior, exterior, and exclusivity it is too far behind the Audi. Even though has DCT and better performance, I just think they priced the M3 too high...paying for M3 brand. At $70k+ optioned it was too much for 335i look a like. As far as performance...if I'm going to go that route just spend the extra $ on a Porsche in lieu of M3...will make it up in resale.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Still kicking around a 09 PDK Carrera myself. Hope to give it a drive next week or two....will report back. But even Carrera with PDK going to be mid $80k's although as fast as 06-08 Carrera S.... only real reason to get new Carrera versus used Carrera S would be PDK that I can see. Exterior changes minimal except lights. Could get a used Carrera S that has a bit more on it for quite a bit cheaper.

Probably will stay with the S5 as it does everything well (Porsche does not but does a few things outstanding) but if I'm happier with new Carrera I will go that route. PDK may be the swing. Want to make sure I really want to keep the S5 before I get into any modding on it. (didn't buy it new so if trade in for Carrera not a big hit on the S5)

Also heavily considered E92 M3 (came from a 335i)....couldn't justify the money on the car...just think interior, exterior, and exclusivity it is too far behind the Audi. Even though has DCT and better performance, I just think they priced the M3 too high...paying for M3 brand. At $70k+ optioned it was too much for 335i look a like. As far as performance...if I'm going to go that route just spend the extra $ on a Porsche in lieu of M3...will make it up in resale.
i agree... theres a leasing company by my area who is leasing the 08 carrera S for 959/month with 0 down for 27 months

http://jmleasing.com/specials.php

1 - 20 of 34 Posts