Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, did any of you guys in S5s even consider, or if it isn't / wasn't available in your locale at the time, would you even think of an A5 as a sensible alternative to the S?

Reason I ask, is that changes in our tax laws here are making a diesel monstrously less expensive to run - road tax € 600 versus € 1500, € 15,000 saving on purchase price, and 40mpg versus 20ish - I am finding myself having to consider it :eek:

I do still fancy the V8 though ! :eek:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I considered it. It was around £5K cheaper to buy for a similar spec, does twice the mileage on a tank of fuel (although the fuel is slightly more expensive), it is 50% cheaper to tax and cheaper to insure. It is nearly as quick and has masses of torque.

However, as I am a self proclaimed "petrolhead", the S5 was the only choice and will have more exclusivity.

Heart ruling the head......;)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I considered it. It was around £5K cheaper to buy for a similar spec, does twice the mileage on a tank of fuel (although the fuel is slightly more expensive), it is 50% cheaper to tax and cheaper to insure. It is nearly as quick and has masses of torque.

However, as I am a self proclaimed "petrolhead", the S5 was the only choice and will have more exclusivity.

Heart ruling the head......;)
Heart and head with me too :eek:

I do recognise the benefits of diesel, and it may be the way of the future, but, but, I'm a petrolhead too :eek:

Maybe one last fling for me with a big petrol engine ! :eek: Then I'll go all green ! :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
You are probably right. I expect in a few year's time it will just be too expensive to have anything "eco unfriendly".

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are probably right. I expect in a few year's time it will just be too expensive to have anything "eco unfriendly".
The trade in on the S in a few years might be very scary though - the RS5 might hit the S values too I was thinking :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
I considered the A5 tdi too - it is a great car with a great engine - just not as satisfying as an S5 with the V8. I figured the same as many here - it will become politically incorrect and somewhat prohibitive in a few years to own such cars and buy them new - so I figured, it's now or never to try to hang on to some fun and pleasure..... thus the S5... have fun while we still can..... it'll be too late sooner than we think....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I considered the A5 tdi too - it is a great car with a breat engine - just not as satisfying as an S5 with the V8. I figured the same as many here - it will become politically incorrect and somewhat prohibitive in a few years to own such cars and buy them new - so I figured, it's now or never to try to hang on to some fun and pleasure..... thus the S5... have fun while we still can..... it'll be too late sooner than we think....
Seems we are all thinking alike in this regard ! :eek: :D

G

·
I considered the A5 tdi too - it is a great car with a breat engine - just not as satisfying as an S5 with the V8. I figured the same as many here - it will become politically incorrect and somewhat prohibitive in a few years to own such cars and buy them new - so I figured, it's now or never to try to hang on to some fun and pleasure..... thus the S5... have fun while we still can..... it'll be too late sooner than we think....
Ok, i'll be the one:D

Whats a breat engine? Is it a French thing :p

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I drove both of them. Frankly if I'm really honest if I was going to get a diesel it would be a 335d coupe. Yes its not a nice to look at as the A5 but its power and torque delivery makes the A5 and S5 feel slow.

The reason I went with the S5 wasn't for speed as to 60mph is not much faster and to really show a difference between it and the A5 3.0TDi you would have to push it past 100mph.

For me it was because it looks that little bit better, is that bit more exclusive and last but not least that V8 rumble.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Another considered response from Elstimpo...:rolleyes:

I did the petrolhead blow-out thing with my S4. Loved it and am already missing the glorious V8, but not the crippling fuel and insurance costs!

I'm currently crawling around in the mother-in-law's Pug 306 1.6 at around 35mpg - looking forward to even more in the A5 (and to keeping up with traffic on uphill sections of dual carriageway!:eek: )

·
Registered
231 Posts
im with Saj_1982 on this. for me it was between the 335d M sport and the S5. the 3.0TDI is week by comparision. i think a lot of new cars look weak without big wheels and a bodykit therefore the 3.0TDI's weaker engine and lack of auto was a non starter for me.

i initially wanted to change from my 2004 SLK350 for comfort, more seats, ride quality and maybe better consumption. i was looking at the 335d seriously but the BMW dealer was slow off the mark and when i set my eyes on the S5 i fell in love immediately. was a totally impulse buy and tbh bit beyond my budget taking running costs into mind. i drive almost 2,000 miles per month costing me about £400 in fuel, £240 in insurance plus add £900 in finance costs. im 23 and when i think i could have saved at least £400 per month buying the 335d it makes me wince.

(just going to look out the window at the S5)

ok it was definitely worth it, if you can afford it get the S5, the V8 rumble, the looks are totally worth it. thats before u factor in the comfort and grip and total sense of safety

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i drive almost 2,000 miles per month costing me about £400 in fuel, £240 in insurance plus add £900 in finance costs. im 23 and when i think i could have saved at least £400 per month buying the 335d it makes me wince.
Vin,

Best not to think too hard about that - or you'll end up in the diesel camp like me! S5 is just too expensive to run for me, I'm afraid:(

On the 335d vs A5 3.0 TDi thing though, for me the looks of the A5 far outstrip anything BMW make at the moment (or have in the pipeline, judging by recent Autocar stories of future BMW models) and if the performance is an issue, then get a chip for the A5, which is effectively all BMW do to their 3-litre diesel engine to get the 335d from the 330d. Quattro is also a huge advantage over rwd for me too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Vin,

Best not to think too hard about that - or you'll end up in the diesel camp like me! S5 is just too expensive to run for me, I'm afraid:(

On the 335d vs A5 3.0 TDi thing though, for me the looks of the A5 far outstrip anything BMW make at the moment (or have in the pipeline, judging by recent Autocar stories of future BMW models) and if the performance is an issue, then get a chip for the A5, which is effectively all BMW do to their 3-litre diesel engine to get the 335d from the 330d. Quattro is also a huge advantage over rwd for me too.
no way. the 335d has two turbos. one little for low revs which gets taken over by the larger turbo. sequential turbos like the porsche 959. the 335d engine is an absolute beast but it is still diesel.

true what you say about the quattro, grips like a mother******

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Oh, OK - my bad. Didn't know the 330d didn't have the same system.

Not really that up on BMWs as I've never really been that much of a fan. Looked at the M3 when I was buying my S4 but the dealer was really rubbish and they were just a bit too much of a common sight when the S4 was very new and shiny!

Quattro still wins it over rwd in the real world any day though...

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Vin,

Performance an issue? How? The A5 is Faster to 62mph, and has the same top speed (limited). We'd need some other figures to prove that... perhaps 50-70mph/70-100mph values.

It may lack slightly when it comes to HP and Torque, but it's also lighter than the 335D.

The big plus for me is the 4WD. With the 3.0TDI you can take every corner and be sure that it's going to stick to it. - Put 580Nm to rear wheels only, and you'll soon wish you went for the 4WD A5.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was going to consider the A5tdi but here in Oz it won’t be available until sept 08 and I want to change my car before then so it wasn’t really an option. I agree with the comments made including those about rising costs but as soon as I saw the S5 and had a test drive convinced me of its sheer desirability and the one last fling thing overcame any reluctance I had to spend the extra $. As I only do about 12,000kms a year, like others here, the extra running costs allowed the heart to rule the head! Nice to know others reached the same conclusion though, especially from those of you lucky enough to already be owners. And this might surprise some: diesel here is 10-12cents per litre more than petrol so for a low mileage guy like me, it was no contest.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Performance an issue? How? The A5 is Faster to 62mph, and has the same top speed (limited). We'd need some other figures to prove that... perhaps 50-70mph/70-100mph values.

It may lack slightly when it comes to HP and Torque, but it's also lighter than the 335D.

The big plus for me is the 4WD. With the 3.0TDI you can take every corner and be sure that it's going to stick to it. - Put 580Nm to rear wheels only, and you'll soon wish you went for the 4WD A5.
Rab your right about the acceleration figures (i think that this is mainly to the 335d being an auto aswell) but I wasn't talking about the actual 0 - 60mph times or anything like that (mind you only 0.2secs between them). What I was talking about was the fact that when you put your foot down in the 335d the sheer thrust that it blasts out makes the A5 and S5 "feel" slow in comparison.

Quattro obviously has the grip advantage, this I could easily tell when I was driving the 335d in the wet, but I did have to push it quite hard for the back end to start seriously sliding out.

If i'm really honest I did have more of a laugh in that car than the 3.0TDi.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts