Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

S5 UK numbe plate registrations

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  55 JWB 
#1 ·
Hi all,

If I remember correctly there are a few UK members looking for S5 number plates. I've got mine now .. "S5 0000 A" .. but spotted a few others on ebay if your still interested...

S500UPE - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Ulitmate-Audi-A5-S5-Coupe-Registration_W0QQitemZ290189792716QQihZ019QQcategoryZ421QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

S500 OOK - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cherished-Number-plate-For-Audi-S5-S500-OOK_W0QQitemZ170179017939QQihZ007QQcategoryZ421QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

#3 ·
When i first ordered the car last July S5 AUD was for sale for approx 4 1/2k.Within weeks it was for sale at 37k.I was too slow should have tried to get it before they realised the car was available.:rolleyes:

#4 ·
Nicola I don't think anyone would pay £37k for an S5 plate. Thought 4.5k was steep. They would have to have more money than sense in which case they probably wouldn't be driving an S5..

#5 ·
Here in Massachusetts they have 'AUDI S5' as a licence plate!! its 80 dollars. i ended up getting my name instead which is 'KIERAN' for the same 80 dollars - they are all a fixed price!!! Number plates in the UK are crazzzy prices!!

#6 ·
So are our cars !!:mad:

#10 ·
Why would anyone want to pay silly prices for a S5 Number plates - its hardly personal - unless they are gonna keep the car for ever ???? I just dont know why people spend their own money on such extravagances :D

Anyway Afzal Kahn from Kahn Designs (the guys that mod "pimp") \Range Rovers Bentlesy etc in West Yorkshire recently paid £450,000 for "F1".

If it floats your boat!!!

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
:eek: Yikes! We (in the US) like to complain about the $40 personalized plate fee (because you have to pay it every year)...but it doesn't seem so bad anymore. :D

#15 ·
I still don't understand why plates are so valuable. Is it just vanity?

I understand paying a moderate amount for a plate that spells or hints at something, but nowhere NEAR the prices that I've seen here. As for random plates (M-reg, B-reg, etc.), why does one letter matter over another? This makes NO sense to me in the U.S.

#16 ·
Must cofess Europa, I used to scoff at the whole personal plate thing. Some people buy plates representing their initials (hi Ian!), others go for plates that emphasise their car's model or spec (in the UK the 'M3 xxx' plate is ubiquitous on said BMWs, i.e. 'M3 GAV' - nuff said.

But when I'd ordered the S5, I realised that it would be ariving in Jan 08 and I wasn't prepared to wait until March when the new '08' prefix would be released. So, prompted in fact by discussions on this forum, I hunted around and found my present plate (V888 AUD). Think 'a bloke with a stammer who can't complete the name of german car manufacturers, identifying the vehicle as he walks by'......

The Home Secretary though it was totally naff and embarrassing, as did some of her friends. But frankly, I'm quite pleased with it - from a vanity perspective (there, I've said it!), it prevented the car from immediately looking 'old' 6 weeks after registration (it would have been registered as a '57' plate) but also, it adds a bit of distinction to the car and sets it apart from the hordes of other S5s ('07, 57 and 08 plates) swarming the roads over here.....;)

Only cost £500, so peanuts compared to the overall investment (although I've got my eye on another at present, which costs a little more....).

Naff? Possibly, but each to their own!

#17 ·
Thanks, Ess... and thanks for your reply in the RS4 kill thread, too. As I said, I do understand paying a moderate amount for vanity plates, but only in the case where it spells or represents something (and, of course, "moderate" is always relative). So, "V888 AUD" - I definitely get it. Registrations with newer number sequences make the car look newer... that seems awfully, well, spurious, but no one ever said this car obsession was rational (to each their own, indeed)! In my ratty old Max Power mags of YEARS ago I could never understand the compulsion to pay for "___-reg" simply because it sets the car apart from its peers. It's like searching for a better VIN number. (Max Power, yeah, yeah, I was a kid at the time).

That said, it's much easier to get vanity plates (as they're called) in the U.S. My wife covets "AUDIOS" for her A4, but it's taken. Heh. Look at our options in Washington for personalized backgrounds/colours:

"We Love Our Pets," LOL

#18 ·
I was destined to have an S5 as when I managed to get a new car in 1998 when the S reg's first came out I bought an S5 for £499 which I still have and use;)

Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.