Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of tyres would you recommend for an S5?
Not too soft and not too hard either. Trying to keep to a minimum spend.
Are Nankang tyres too crap for an S5?
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
What brand of tyres would you recommend for an S5?
Not too soft and not too hard either. Trying to keep to a minimum spend.
Are Nankang tyres too crap for an S5?
thanks
Nankang? Are you serious? They're budget tyres. I wouldn't even put mid-range tyres on an S5, never mind budgets.

One thing I will NEVER skimp on is tyres. It's the only thing you have in contact with the road, and ultimately, it's those which could determine whether you will live or die if you're in an incident.

Stick to the high-end tyres, such as:
Bridgestone Potenzas,
Good Year Eagle F1s Either (GSD3 or Asymmetrics)
Michelin Pilot Sports
Dunlop Sport Maxx
Toyo Proxes T1/R

Also, DO NOT go to garage chains such as kwik fit, national tyres etc as they will rip you off for tyres. If you can, try and source tyres from a trade distributor such as www.vikinginternational.co.uk, however, www.blackcircles.co.uk also have some very good prices! I've used them 3 or 4 times within the last year, and I personally wouldn't use anyone else - you can order your tyres online, and specify a garage closeby, and they'll be fitted there.

Hope that helps,

Rab.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Dunlop Sport Maxx
The early S5 models had these but the late 08 models have Dunlop Sport Maxx GT. General consensus is the GT are better than the original.

·
Registered
231 Posts
also if yu get get michelins you need the pilot sport 2. ps1 tyres are bollocks. for the price.

a good compromise between comfort and performance are pirelli pzero rosso.

Whenever you buy tyres also make sure they are the good model. for example bridgestone you need RE050a or maybe SO-3 PP. dont touch SO-2.

its not jus about the brand but the model you ge too.

Falken FK452 have a good following in the BMW M3 community for those who dont go for contis or michelins

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
The early S5 models had these but the late 08 models have Dunlop Sport Maxx GT. General consensus is the GT are better than the original.
One thing about the GTs is that the tread ware is excellent, I had clocked 13000 miles on them and the rear still had half the tread left on them. Fronts were slightly less, but rotating the wheels at about 10,000 I could see them easily getting 20,000 miles a set, of course depends on how you drive too.

Grip wise they are nothing special.

As for the Vredestiens Ultrac Sessanta I have now, i'm still undecided as I haven't pushed the car since having them on.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
One thing about the GTs is that the tread ware is excellent, I had clocked 13000 miles on them and the rear still had half the tread left on them. Fronts were slightly less, but rotating the wheels at about 10,000 I could see them easily getting 20,000 miles a set, of course depends on how you drive too.

Grip wise they are nothing special.
I'm on 11k now and concur with what you are saying. The rears have some good mileage left in them yet. The front may only be good for another 5000. I do a lot of town driving so wear would be more and I dont see me making 20k.

When i first drove the car i felt the grip was very poor. I was able to slide it in the wet very easily at low speeds. As they have worn down a bit the grip is far better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.