Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have just ordered a Phantom Black S5 in Australia with build set for week 5 of 2008 & delivery week 13 (yes, we have to wait that long over here). I have been told that all vehicles built from week 50/2007 are quailified to include the Torque Distribution option (at additional cost which I don't know as yet).

From what I know, it allows the quattro system to deliver variable torque to EACH wheel. Do any of you guys know exactly what this option does and where it would be most advantageous, ie. is it more just for track use or will it make the car handle better around street corners etc.?

Regards...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the new car. You ask a very good question and I am not certain the answer. My guess is it will help with traction on starts and out of corners.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Audi World has an extensive article on the "Sport Differential" option.
The source is from Audi AG and claims.....With the active sport differential driving the rear wheels, the car quite literally takes every corner as if on rails.
There is no indication of models impacted or availability.

This is the link
http://www.audiworld.com/news/07/quattro-with-sport-differential/

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I think the only people who will benifit from it is those who will know how to use it properly and regularly.

No use on a road-going car, is it? Unless you want to customise torque per-axel.

Unless anyone knows how/why it would be used?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Will it be an option for the A5 too?

·
Registered
276 Posts
It also mentions active damping which I assume means Magnetic Ride.
I have tried this on a new TT and it does what is says and is very effective.
If this had been an option on the S5 I know at least a couple of buyers me included.
Whether it is part of the Sport Diff.or I expect it will be a separate option .

·
Registered
163 Posts
The teaser brochure that I got in NYC forum said it was going to be standard. This is not listed under options and the salesman said it was not an option but standard. I am one of those who got this car for that.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi guys,
I have just ordered a Phantom Black S5 in Australia with build set for week 5 of 2008 & delivery week 13 (yes, we have to wait that long over here). I have been told that all vehicles built from week 50/2007 are quailified to include the Torque Distribution option (at additional cost which I don't know as yet).

From what I know, it allows the quattro system to deliver variable torque to EACH wheel. Do any of you guys know exactly what this option does and where it would be most advantageous, ie. is it more just for track use or will it make the car handle better around street corners etc.?

Regards...
Hi, just ordered an Ibis White S5 with Magma Red Leather today which I am expecting delivery in March 08.

I was wondering about the Sport Differential being standard/option on cars built after week 50/2007, is that the case for cars in the UK too?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The teaser brochure that I got in NYC forum said it was going to be standard. This is not listed under options and the salesman said it was not an option but standard. I am one of those who got this car for that.
What is standard on the A5/S5 is the "Asymmetric Quattro" noted on this press release:
http://media.audiusa.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9942

However the Drive Select System that includes the new Sport Differential seems a little advanced:
http://media.audiusa.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9949

It sounds like the Asymmetric Quattro varies the torque between front and rear wheels at preprogrammed settings, but the sport differential can additionally split the torque to the rear wheels on a constant basis. And the driver can customize the settings.

I'm not sure how much of us average drivers would notice the difference but if it is an improvement I'd like to have it. My order is in and the car is due to be built in November. Looks like bad timing for us first wave of buyers as the cars built a few weeks later will have the option. That really sucks.

It reminds me of when I bought the first TT that came out -- 6 months later they came out with models with ESP, but Audi actually took our cars out to Texas, and retrofitted the ESP functionality which was a great gesture of good faith on Audi's part. There is no way they can do that for the Drive Select though.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm a little confused about this, is the Sports Differential separate from Audi Drive Select?

Or is it part of it because some ppl are saying it will be standard but I noticed in the Audiworld article it said - "The quattro driveline with active sport differential is part of Audi drive select".

If this is the case then if you go by the brouchure for the new UK A4 then Audi Drive Select is not standard. You will find on page 29 as we already know that it will come in 3 versions but it is a cost option:

Audi Diver Select w/ Dynamic Steering - £1000 inc VAT
Audi Diver Select w/ Damper Control - £1000 inc VAT
Audi Drive Select w/ Dynamic Steering and Damper Control - £1700 in VAT

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm going to see my local dealer today so hopefully they might have some concrete information.

SAJ

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm a little confused about this, is the Sports Differential separate from Audi Drive Select?

Or is it part of it because some ppl are saying it will be standard but I noticed in the Audiworld article it said - "The quattro driveline with active sport differential is part of Audi drive select".

If this is the case then if you go by the brouchure for the new UK A4 then Audi Drive Select is not standard. You will find on page 29 as we already know that it will come in 3 versions but it is a cost option:

Audi Diver Select w/ Dynamic Steering - £1000 inc VAT
Audi Diver Select w/ Damper Control - £1000 inc VAT
Audi Drive Select w/ Dynamic Steering and Damper Control - £1700 in VAT

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm going to see my local dealer today so hopefully they might have some concrete information.

SAJ
the new sport differential is part of the Audi Drive Select system. The steering and damping works with the differential to provide the different settings (comfort, sport, etc).

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Got back from the dealer, asked about the Sports Differential, sales guy had no idea what I was talking about - Typical!! :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was recently up at the Stasis Engineering corp garage at Sears Point raceway in Sonoma. A friend of mine and I were speaking to Paul Lambert, the manager of Stasis. Paul was describing how Stasis is going to be creating a "Challenge Car" option for the new S5. The Challenge car is an upgrade to the S5 that will signifficantly improve handling and performance, and this option will be sold through a very limited number of dealers in the US. Currently, there are about 10 dealers that are authorized to sell and support this option.

In the conversation with Paul, he described this new capability, and stated that his company will be installing it as part of the Challenge package. He described the advantages of this package in detailed engineering terms, but then again in laymans terms.

So, in laymans terms, there are two systems in our cars today that assist us, and keep us from doing any maneuver that would put us in harms way. These two systems are ABS and ESP. Let's consider ESP. ESP works by applying braking to the wheel that is spinning, forcing the other wheel to do more work. This simple approach does not allow the car to "really correct for wheelspin" but instead it tries to impede the power of the spinning wheel.

With the new center and rear differentials that are mentioned in this new option, power can be transferred from front to back, and side to side, to compensate for wheel spin. This new system should be able to sense that the inside wheel is spinning in the turn, apply the brakes to it, and apply more drive to the outside wheel, effectively forcing the car to turn.

This new system is especially well suited to the track, but will also be a huge improvement to safety, when driving in inclement weather, or on bad roads. to me, it's certainly going to be an improvement that I'm going to purchase.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi guys,

just wanting to know if anyone has found out any more about this option and whether its a definite option for late '07 build cars onwards?

mentioned it to my local dealer and he said for the moment its r8 exclusive and that there are no plans to make it available in s5 in the near future.

julie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts