Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time question for you folks - I am considering the S5, but wondering if it is too small for an everyday car and highway driving. I had a 330ci and it handled great but after a while felt too small for long drives

Also read in a review that the S5 is overpowered and the A5 is more than enough - seems hard to beleive - opinions?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Its shorter than an A3 in length. However, its wider than an A6 (or comparable). When driving it doesnt feel small.

Its fine for long drives although the ride is harsh on low quality roads. If that doesnt bother you then it should be fine. However, only taking it out for a test run is going to decide it for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't worry about the ride quality in the S5. It's firm but quite comfortable (perhaps the seats help) and it doesn't become unsettled on bad roads. I find it an ideal compromise and I've never had a passenger complain.

Size-wise, I'd say it's very spacious in the front, but a bit cramped for any rear-seat passengers on a long trip. But for shorter trips (or shorter passengers) the rear seats are more than adequate. The biggest issue is getting in and out of the back, and older people will struggle. Compared to your BMW you'll find the S5 feels noticeably wider when you're driving on narrow roads.

The S5 has a very linear power delivery and it doesn't necessarily feel as fast as it is, so it doesn't ever feel too much of a handful. Compared to your 330CI you'll really like the superior low-end power the S5 has. In fact you'll probably feel like the peak output of the BMW is roughly what you are experiencing across the whole rev range in the S5 - that's really the difference. On UK roads there is rarely enough space to really hold the S5 on the gas for more than a few seconds and, in any case, you're soon getting too quick for safety, so in a sense it can be too powerful to really give it the beans on the road.

Give one a test drive. The overall quality of the S5 is streets ahead of a BMW. And you'll love the noise it makes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight

Actually what even turned me on the the Audis in the first place was the Audi driving experience they hosted where they allowed us to drive R8s, S5s and all other sorts of models around a track and through various demos, etc. - very cool, but not exactly a street level experience ;-) If they host it near you, go for it

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
First time question for you folks - I am considering the S5, but wondering if it is too small for an everyday car and highway driving. I had a 330ci and it handled great but after a while felt too small for long drives

Also read in a review that the S5 is overpowered and the A5 is more than enough - seems hard to beleive - opinions?
I've been using my S5 as an everyday car for over a year now and have done regular 400 mile + trips in it with the boot full, passengers etc etc and it has been great.

I've taken my granny from Edinburgh to Newcastle a number of time in it when I had my 20s on the car and she said it had been her best driving experience yet, and had no complaints about ride quality at all.

On the motorway/highway it's just great one of the best long distance cars i've been in.

One thing to add, we have an E92 325d and i'm not sure if it's actually the case but it feels a bit more roomy in the back over the S5, but it's ride quality feels much stiffer than the S5 which was very suprising to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only had mine a short time but it seems to me to be a big(ish) car that kind of wraps around you when you are driving it.

Although it still feels bigger than the M3 and A4 I had before it it doesn't feel "Barge-like".

The ride is definitely firm, and has felt slightly "crashy" on occasions here on our rubbish UK roads, but I'm used to a hard ride anyway, so no big issue for me really..

The seats do help - they are great, and yes the sound is superb:thumbsup:

I have noticed that to me I can really feel the road through the steering, almost too much, but that may be resolved when it goes in to have the "wobbly steering" sorted..:cheers:

JC

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with all the comments made about the S5. I’ve had mine for nearly 10 months. Before it I had 2 successive 330ci’s over 8 years (I got my first one back in 2000) which did 90,000 fault free miles. In Australia they came fully loaded with every conceivable luxury. Even the TV was standard. They were comfortable, well built, not much slower than the last M3 in the real world but much quieter and more relaxing to drive, given the flexibility and torque of what I thought was a fabulous engine. The brakes were fantastic and with all the electronic safety stuff like ESP + DSC virtually foolproof. And the fuel consumption of the 2nd one which had the 6 speed manual was over 33mpg. Not bad for a fully paid up lunatic! I loved those cars – can’t you tell! And I never once thought it too small.

With that kind of experience you can imagine I wasn’t exactly running to an Audi dealer. But I’d seen the pics of the S5 and the prospect of replacing my car with a 335ci (which despite its engine, I didn’t like) went into freefall. One short test drive in an S5 was all I needed to convince me. Sure it looks and feels bigger than a 3 series coupe because it is but I soon got used to it. I could easily eulogise about the S5 but it’s all been said many times on this forum by very satisfied owners. Compared to a 330ci, an S5 is in a completely different league. It’s simply much more refined and better built. It just does everything much better – except for the fuel consumption but the incremental cost of the higher fuel costs is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
S5 is huge. Same size as bmw 6 series. IMO S5 is underpowered and overweight
...erm, think not. The S5 is SHORTER by far than the 6 series (nearly a foot) and shorter even than the new A4 by a few inches. It's several hundred Kilos LIGHTER too, so I'm not really sure where you got your facts, but your way out buddy!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't think so DD, A3 Sportback 4292, 3dr 4238, A5 4625.....did you mean A3 ??
I take that back then. I was sure someone posted with the dimensions before using the Audi pictures. I must be thinking of a different model.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have had mine over a year. A few long distance trips. One 2,000 mile round trip with the kids in the back. No problems for anyone. I have found this to be the most comfortable car on long trips. The seats are amazing as even after 12 hours of driving my but is not sore.

The cars power delivery is so smooth it will fool you. It feels slower than my wifes MINI. However it is way quicker.

I personally have a depth issue with the drivers front wheel. I have curbed it 3 times. I have yet to touch any of the other corners. I had not curbed a wheel in at a minimum of 10 years with anything including the semi's I drive for work. Must be a personal problem.

I think a 30 minute test drive will be all you need to join the S5 ranks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.